“strange location”

Ranked #173 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Richmond, California
“strange location”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Nice to be literally down the street from the Hauptbanof main train station, but this is a questionable neighborhood. Lots of casinos and gentlemen's clubs line the streets. Couldn't find a laundromat or supermarket but nice 1 euro store (like a dollar store) around the corner for water, snacks, and extra socks. Rooms nice and clean. Minibar and laundry service a rip off. Wi fi was a joke and costs per day. Weird bathtub that was slippery and hard to get in and out of. And stay sway from lift #3, its faulty. Overall, a clean pleasant experience but nothing to write home about. Location to the train station is the selling point here.

Room Tip: Unfortunately you will get some noise from people leaving the casinos late at night. Sleep with your...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear steph2tdf,
thank you very much for your review. Even the railway station district in Munich has its own charm. Cultural diversity is a priority here and there are some beautiful places and unique shops all around. In our opinion, the prices of the mini-bar, Wifi and laundry service are appropriate. Nevertheless, we hope you had a nice stay in the Bavarian capital.
BEST WESTERN Hotel Cristal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Herning, Denmark
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My Story with Hotel Cristal customer service goes likes this.

I booked a room on Best Western homepage. 10 min after i have booked the room, my company changes my travel plans, and i do not need the room.
I then ASAP call the customer service from Best Western and explaining them my problem. They tell me that i have to contact Hotel Cristal direct.
I then call Hotel Cristal and talk to a person from the reception. I am told that they can not cancelled my booking, BUT because i have called them right away they will make an exception and cancelled my booking and NOT charge my credit card.

So far so good, BUT when i receive my bill in the end of the month from my credit card, i can see they have billed me full price for the room.
I think it is a mistake and write direct to the Hotel Cristal. I write them 3-4 times over a month before they reply. To make a long story short, they tell me that they will NOT refund my booking, because i do not have the name on the person i talked with the day i called them.

If i had known from the start that they would not cancelled my booking, i would have given my room to one of my colleagues in Munich. The company i work for are based in Munich!

I do travel a lot, and i have never seen so poor, slow and lying customer service.!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Schou
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Schou,
we’re sorry for the inconveniences with your booking. BEST WESTERN offers different kind of rooms and cancellation policies. Referring to the room types and cancellation policies there are different kind of room rates. You decided for a cheap rate which denied a cancellation.
That's why you were charged for your reservation. This is cleary stated in the reservation process and booking confirmation. For all kind of bookings or cancellations you receive a written booking or cancellation letter or email with a booking or cancellation number. If you have further questions referring to your reservation then please do not hesitate and contact Best Western Headquarter where you placed your reservation. Our staff never confirmed by phone of in any other way a cancellation of your booking with BEST WESTERN.

BEST WESTERN Hotel Cristal

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel near the train station for one week in August with my family and a further three weeks in December.
They have a strange but very nice policy of giving out the best rooms that are not occupied.

In English: My wife and I as well as my brother and his fiance stayed in suites (living area / couches / TV / "credenza" for 3 weeks at the same price as the normal room rates. The three weeks came about as we used it as a base station for touring south Bavaria and Nurnberg.

The hotel is very central as it is a short walk to the train station (where the rental cars live) and the U-Bahn. It is also a 10 minute walk from the main shopping district and tourist attractions.

Breakfast is good and the lunch and dinner OK.

Room Tip: Mention that you though breakfast was included in the rate....... Most time they just throw it in!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear deon-keyser,
thank you very much for your review. If our suites are not reserved, it’s a god possibility to offer these for a lower price. We hope you enjoyed your time in Germany. It would be nice if we were to have you back as our guest in our hotel again.
Columbia, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at this clean contemporary hotel near the central railroad station for one week in February 2013. I have been here before and I have always enjoyed this small business hotel. It has all the basics covered: Great modern well-light rooms, super clean, helpful front desk, nice little bar with a few tables, small dining area with a limited but satisfying menu and one of the best breakfast buffets anywhere. Not huge buffet in size but it has EVERYTHING! I like the idea that each small portion displayed to fresh and rotated through from their kitchen. I walked into the kitchen looking for a special request, and the place is Clean. The buffet has: eggs in several ways, variety of sausages, meats, breads, yogurts, cheeses, pastries, cereals, fruits, fresh squeezed OJ, prosecco, mineral waters, selection of teas and great strong coffee. Ask for Julie and say Hi.
I find the staff a little removed and not overly friendly. Maybe it is because they use interns in training or maybe it is just their style. I have stayed 6-8 times and never had a single hello from anyone (except for Julie). Maybe it is because I am from California and we tend to be overly friendly. Just a little feedback on smiling...otherwise the professional service is very good
The hotel is located in a Turkish area. Lots of hukah meeting places for Turkish guys, a few strips clubs. Looks a lot rougher than it is. Heck, the Marriot Courtyard is right across the street.
I have walked to/from and around the neighborhood with not a single problem for 6-8 long visits. There are some good restaurant a short distance and some wonderful restaurants a medium 15 minute walk. Try La Vecchia Masseria, Munich or Mariandl Cafe am Beethovenplatz for a dinner.
The price, cleanliness, service, breakfast and convenient location are hard to beat!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly remodeled rooms.The lighting and amenities are first class.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank travelinman_CA
Dear travelinman_CA,
thank you very much for your feedback, we will pass that on to our staff. Julie will be especially pleased. We are happy that you had such a great time in Munich. We would be delighted to welcome you in our house again for your next stay.
BEST WESTERN Hotel Cristal Team
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location if you are traveling to Munich by train, as it is only about 5 minutes walk from the station. The neighborhood was a little dodgy, but I don't think dangerous. The room was nice and clean, the staff was helpful and spoke English fairly well, and there were no hassles or extra paperwork.

Overall a pleasant stay in Munich.

Room Tip: Get one at the back!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Timothy H,
thank you very much for your rating. We hope you had a great time in Bavaria. The region around the Hauptbahnhof has also nice corners and there are also lots of friendly people on the street and it is not dangerous. It would be nice if we were to have you back as our guest in our hotel again.
ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel is grand for a stopover but it is in a bad location if you want to absorb Munich as a city break the streets surrounding the hotel are full of cheap strip club and casinos and good restaurants are scarce in the area. If I was going back I would pick a better location as it probably will make a difference to your break

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear as it can be noisy at the front
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Martin,
thank you very much for your review. Munich is a lovely city with lots of beautiful places. so come again and discover this city! It’s just great.
Many dear greetings from Munich,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 17-21 February for a short break and found no problems with the hotel.

The hotel is 5 minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof and about 10-15 from Marienplatz.

The hotel breakfast was €16 each so we went to one of the many bakery places in Hauptbahnhof on our way out each day and found something cheaper. There's also the restaurant in the Karstadt Department Store at Hauptbahnhof which does a great 5 Komponent breakfast inc. coffee for €5.90.

The only downside if I had to pick one was that the hotel wifi is €3.90 per day and was very slow with extremely poor connectivity. It was virtually unusable so if you can get your fix elsewhere then I wouldn't waste your money on it.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Shellbean
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Shellbean,

thank you very much for your rating. We are very sorry for the inconveniences with our wifi! The problem is that so many people are connecting at the same time, so the system can be overloaded with so many requests. But in our opinion 3,90 Euro is a fair price. We hope you enjoyed your time in Bavaria. We look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Many dear greetings from Munich,