“This hotel was a very good surprise!”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #161 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The location was very good. Although there were some night clubs nearby, we felt always very safe! Even at night,

The rooms were big (I stayed in one of the bigger rooms. 3 peolpe), confortable, very clean! In my opinion the beds and pillows were fantastic.

We didn't pay for breakfast but we could use the coffe machine in the dinnig room...So we never left the hotel hungry. The machine had expresso, capuccino, hot chocolate, tea, latte machiato, etc etc etc I loved it.

I thought the price was awsome for the quality. We had free internet and we could use a computer they had in the common area.

Our flight back home was cancelled and we had to come back to the hotel and we stayed many hours in the common area using the internet even though we made the chek out that morning. We didn't pay for an extra night. The receptionist didn't speak much english so he was very quiet but in that night he was extremely kind and offered us food and drinks for our supper!
We left the hotel early in the morning...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaggieFreitas

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Many of the reviews are right on. Location is flanked by adult entertainment establishments but am very glad we stayed there. The location (two blocks from train station) and proximity to old city was easily within walking distance. My wife and I walked all around these neighborhoods and felt completely safe at all times.

Hotel was basic, bathroom and room were clean albeit small like all rooms in Europe,

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScottNewHampshire
Reviewed July 31, 2013

It's 3:30 am right now so you can imagine what my overall opinion is of the Hotel Royal.

First the positives. It is very ideally situated near the trains so coming in from the airport was very easy. The street is a bit seedy but we have never felt threatened at all. The Internet wifi is excellent. The breakfast is excellent and a great way to start the day and good value for what you get. The beds are comfortable but the sofa bed my daughter is on is definitely not as nice as the one I'm in. The walk to the downtown is 5 minutes away so very convenient. The staff for the most part have pleasant except for one.

Now the negatives. We read all the reviews prior to coming here and we booked half a year in advance with the explicit request to not be on the street side of the hotel. Where do you think we got put? I asked the front desk why we were not on the back side and got the worst attitude and condescending treatment that I am now making sure I pass it on. We are on the second floor overlooking schillingstr. and it's bad for two reasons, one, it gets the sun all day and its very hot, there is no air conditioning and its really uncomfortable. We have a small fan that helps but it's very hot in here. Also the street is a party street and I've been kept up by party goers each night, nothing like waking up to the sounds of drunks!

So in short it's hot, stuffy loud and difficult to sleep. And when you request a stay on the backside they put you exactly where you didn't want to be put and then get a rude condescending staff attendant tell you things like, "we never said you'd get the room you want!" Ok fair enough, you also never told me you'd put me in the worst room either!

I'm very angry at the attitude from the front desk,I'm sure they get this from lots of unhappy customers but I feel compelled to share with others so you are prepared and may have to write your own 3:30am report

Happy travels

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank jan k
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at this place for one night. It was within 5 mins walking distance from the central train station. You would have to look out for the sign board among other hotel sign boards though. The receptionists are just awesome, friendly and warm people. Totally unexpected. The room was a little narrow as is the attached toilet though it is very clean. However, if you're there in the summer, you probably wouldn't want to stay in the room in the day as there was no air conditioning and it was a little stuffy. We don't mind that much though.. since we were out the whole day on a day trip to the castle.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, though there are really many many other options along the same street.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were a bit nervous on the location based on some other reviews, well it's not bad, not at all. It's a very easy walk from the train station, and we never felt unsafe walking here. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

If you are traveling by train this is very close to trains and also main city sites. Very clean, great breakfast, and safe. Road side of the hotel noisy at night but can close the window. We were able to walk to most everything we wanted to see in Munich and also close to public transport.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

In June my friends and I made a short trip to Munich and decided to go for a cheap hotel...

Hotel Royal is conveniently located a street away from Munich's central station Hopbahnoff. During our short journey to the hotel we came across at least six limbless tramps begging for spare change. The street itself is full of run-down strip clubs, tacky casinos and greasy kebab houses. I immediately feared for my life and felt a long way from home.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we received a friendly welcome and a clean room. However, the bathroom was the size of an Easyjet toilet. Within the first 48 hours I was slashed by the toilet roll holder, and my friend received a similar injury the previous day. It was hardly a surprise seeing as we all probably gained a stone from the first night alone, and the toilet was designed for dwarves.

After 10 minutes of venturing towards the neaby Marienplatz, my friends and I soon realised that Munich has become the Mississippi of Europe. The sheer amount of overweight people was astonishing. There were more rolls in Munich than a French bakery. For once, we all felt rather slim.

The Hoffbrauhaus became a regular fixture during our 5 day stay. The service was absolutely shocking, and we were given dirty looks on many occassions, but the beer and pork knuckle left us coming back for more. Make sure you sit outside as it feels like a cheap Swedish sauna inside. Also, make sure you have the potato dumplings, but don't be surprised if your jeans feel a bit tighter by the end of the trip. No wonder Munich is so obese...

If you enjoy being completely lost and sweating profusely, head over to the English Garden for a day of fun. If you enjoy people watching make sure you visit the Olympic Park as there are plenty of weirdos there to make you chuckle. If you want to be bored senseless visit the Allianz Arena and try your best to stay awake to the monotone voice of tour guide Phillip.

In conclusion - AVOID THIS AREA AND HOTEL AT ALL COSTS