“Great location, comfortable - Pricy food and internet - Varied experience”

Holiday Inn Munich - City Centre
Ranked #76 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Tel-Aviv, IL
“Great location, comfortable - Pricy food and internet - Varied experience”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 4 times so far with varied degrees of satisfaction.

Location is great, on top of the train station (Be aware that the platform is long and has 2 exits - You need the one in direction of travel from the airport and against when coming from city centre), with a close by supermarket and food places. You can go in-doors all the way to the train which is awesome!

Clean, agree-able size rooms, not old or anything.

Internet is EXTREMELY pricey - Even bundled with Breakfast (Both in 27euros, Internet 22 alone). Breakfast itself is very good - Hot buffet and variety.

I usually stay there due to location (And the fact I can expense the internet and food).

BTW - I was charged an extra-day of internet once - Had to call over and get that credited after leaving.

All in all - Not a bad choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank YaronHa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed June 6, 2012

If you need access to the Internet when you travel, then you will probably need to consider other options. If not, then keep reading and look forward to a comfortable base in Munich.

For some reason, the Holiday Inn Munich - City Centre regards accessing the Internet as a luxury item. As I didn't see any Arab Sheiks in residence, I fear they have got this aspect of their service all wrong. I took the attached photo to provide you with the information you need. If I've interpreted the rate card correctly, you pay Euros 18 for the first hour of access. If you want more, then you are charged an additional single fee of Euro 22 and that doesn't necessarily even appear to last you 24 hours. That's 40 Euros for about a day's Internet access. I have NEVER seen a rate this high, anywhere in the world, even at 5 star properties. Other chain hotels in Munich either charge nothing at all, or just a few Euros per day. You have been warned. [I actually rented a mobile Internet dongle from TEP Wireless in the UK (www.tepwireless.com) that gave me five days' unlimited Internet access for half of the Holiday Inn's "daily" rate.]

If you don't need to use the hotel's Internet access, then you'll find a very comfortable room with an effective and very quiet air conditioning system. If you have ever stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in London, you will have a sense of deja vu, as the fixtures and fittings are virtually the same. The two hotels must have been constructed or last furnished using the same blueprint.

Every member of staff I met was personable and friendly. I was welcomed as a Platinum member of the Priority Club and offered a room on one of the hotel's two Priority Club floors (6 and 7). I'm not really sure this qualifies as a room upgrade, but being on a floor with very low occupancy was certainly quieter than being on a regular floor. And I had a great view of the historic roof tops of Munich.

Others have mentioned other aspects of the in-room technology. The old box-style TV only offered two English-speaking channels (CNN and BBC World) and the reception on Channels 1 to 9 (local German channels) was poor at the best of times. As you moved to the later/higher channels, the image quality started to improve. On the last two days of my stay, all in the interactive features, including checking your bill, failed, which also took down the in-room movie service. This didn't appear to be fixed during the remainder of my stay.

The bathrooms are of a decent size; water pressure is very good and the water piping hot. Towels varied in quality, but generally had a lot of life still in them.

Poor weather one night meant I ate in the small 32-seat hotel restaurant which leads off the lobby. Breakfast is taken in a separate and much larger breakfast room towards the rear of the ground floor. My evening meal represented great value for money. Large portions and fair prices.

The location is excellent. As you will have read, the hotel is above the Rosenheimer train/underground station. If you arrive from the airport on the S8 service, leave via the exit at the front of the train (on arrival). At the top of the escalators, turn left and follow the signs for the Motorama shop. Follow the shopping arcade along, passing the Subway sandwich shop, Aldi store and the much mentioned HIT supermarket and you'll then see both steps and a lift up the hotel's ground floor. You can walk into the town centre via a number of routes. Try heading down the lane in front of the neighbouring petrol station and as you descend to the canal that runs alongside the Isor River, you soon forget you're in a city centre. You are only a stone's throw away from the famous Deutsches Museum too.

Although I am a loyal Priority Club member, due the high Internet prices, I can't recommend this hotel if you need access to a high-speed connection. However, if this doesn't matter for you, then this is a good base when visiting Munich.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BritTraveller68
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have just stayed here as a family of 4 on 2,3,4 June 2012. The hotel is very clean, the service is excellent, I needed to find a children's doctor and a member of reception staff found one, rang them and then gave me the address and map to find it. Luckily I didn't need it. My children loved the pool, which is adequate to play in for the length of stay. The breakfast is amazing and the staff cleaned your plates away immediately to enable you to go for a second helping! The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Centre which is an easy walk even for a 5 year old. We were put in a disabled access room (which we didn't need) but had room for double bed and adjoining room with a double sofa bed, however there was only one light switch so the lights were either on in both rooms or off in both rooms, difficult when children were asleep in one and parents awake in another, this is my only complaint of an enjoyable 3 night stay!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the City, as we went to have a look out of the window in the corridor of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo S
TN
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night, when we came for a brief day of sightseeing on a whirlwind tour of Germany.

Rooms - The rooms were extremely comfortable, and reasonably sized (given that most rooms in Europe are the size of a thumb-tack, we seem to have really lucked out with rooms on this trip). The beds were extremely comfortable, and I loved the covers.

Internet - We had internet in the room. I can't remember if it was wired or wifi, but I think it was wired... As I recall, we paid 13 euros for 24 hours of internet.

Location - This is right above an underground that has many shops and eateries, plus direct underground access to the metro. Marienplatz is just two metro stops away. Piece of cake!

Food - We had dinner at the restaurant. It was delicious and reasonably priced, and the service was beyond great. The server went above and beyond. My daughter accidentally knocked her milk over, and he moved us to a new table and refused to allow us to help him clean it up. Then he had it cleaned up before we knew what had happened!

Breakfast - We did skip the breakfast here because at 23 euros, we felt it was just a bit expensive (though it seems to be a fairly standard price at least among Holiday Inns in Germany). We ate breakfast at a bakery in the underground, and it was quite good.

Staff - They were very pleasant to us, and very helpful.

Parking - Easily accessible parking garage. Boy was I glad to have underground parking, as we had quite a hail storm during our visit. I was glad to not have to worry about any damage to the rental.

Bottom line for me, if I'm ever in Munich again, this is definitely the place I will choose.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jaimelemer
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Staff members are machines rather than humans and no response whatsoever on any issue. They are unprofessional, rude and machine look like.

Room Tip: the priority club rooms are acceptable - the service and the care is less than zero..... my worst ex...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Gabby C
HI_Guest_Relation, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Munich - City Centre, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Gabby C,

Thank you for taking the time to make some comments about your stay at the Holiday Inn Munich - City Centre. The comments are very valuable for us and give us the opportunity to constantly adjust our services to the needs and expectations of our clients.
We are very sorry for this negative impression you got. The service for our guests and the contact with them is our highest priority.
Your critic is been taken very seriously and we truly hope you will give us the chance to be your host again to show you how reliable and professional we usually work.

Kind regards,

J.H.
Guest Relations Manager
Holiday Inn Munich City Centre
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Great location, fair prices. No wifi in room, only wired. wifi in lobby costs 9 euros for 90 minutes. Older TVs and furnishings. Great staff and location make up for the minor gripes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Although being slightly out of the main centre of Marianplatz, its still only a 15 minute walk. Excellent rail link to the airport, there is a direct link on the S8 for 10 Euros, also all stations in Munich and Hauptbanhoff (main railway station) by use of the SBahn which is located below the hotel. Don't worry you won't actually hear the trains! Lovely hotel friendly staff. I suggest a safe in the room though, that would help. Very clean, modern comfortable room. A small shopping centre below the hotel is ideal for all your needs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo