“Nice place outside of city center”

Holiday Inn Munich-South
Ranked #184 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Avon, CT
“Nice place outside of city center”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Its a bit remote from the city center, so you will have to Ubahn in to see and do anything, but it is only about 15 minutes to Marienplatz, so it is still well situated for sightseeing. I used it for business stays and appreciated the attached parking garage. Room prices are pretty good.

I think the rooms may vary a bit in their level of refurb. I've stayed in two executive rooms that feel a little dated with dark wood furnsihings and shiny wallpaper and I've stayed in another that was lighter and a little more modern. Bathrooms have small shower/tub combo (not very wide tubs so standing is a little weird with your feed riding the curves up the wall of the tub a bit.. Rooms have been very clean. Each have had fridge, TV, hot water kettle, tea/coffee, minibar stuff, though the restocking of the supplies is spotty (I had no spoons in my coffee service the first day on my current stay and the second day they didnt replenish the coffee....and there was a half eaten kit kat in the minbar, lol....someone fell down on the job that day, I guess). I think most rooms have a little balcony.

Reception is friendly, the restaurant is fine (i've had about 4 different entrees over time and have been happy with them). Service in the bar is great and one of the girls has a great memory. Returning two weeks after my previous stay, she greeted me by name and remembered what I ate and drank the last time....that's service. Breakfast is good and plentiful with a hot buffet and the usual cold buffet with meats, cheeses, cereals, pastries, yogurt...at a cool E22, its no bargain. But what's new? You can stock up on food at the nearby grocery stores for breakfast if you want. There is a beergarden in the summer.

I'll be back for a stay with my wife in a week to check out the Christmas markets in Bavaria.

I have become ADDICTED to the sauna/steambath/pool area. Fantastic, relaxing, clean, well kept.

A reminder to all my fellow Americans: Germans sauna in the nude and you will need to as well. If you don't, its pretty rude, and kind of like you are peeping. The first time I went down, nobody was in there and I screwed up the nerve to shuck down and jump in and get settled, i figured if anyone came in I'd be fine. I was shortly joined by people of various sexes and ages and...ya know what...it felt pretty normal after a while. Nobody is staring at you and judging you (well, maybe a little, but who cares...they're strangers) I've used the sauna daily since and it has been pretty busy in there this weekend and I'm pretty much over the bashfulness. I'm no Adonis...anyone wants to look at me, that's THEIR problem, lol.

The sauna is on the left as you walk to the pool, so even if you are just using the pool, you may see some naked folks, be warned. In the pool area, swim suits are expected, so even those coming out of the sauna will suit up to go in the pool (usually, lol....one couple did not this afternoon, but there was no one around to be offended - if this were a spa, it would be normal to bathe nude, too). Proper procedure for neophytes is to shuck down and use one of the two showers outside to the sauna to soap up and rinse before you grab your towel, lay it down on the sauna bench and keep your butt and feet on the towel. After you've had enough, rinse off, suit up and go to the pool area for a cool dip or to relax on a lounge chair.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank biztrav123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
John O'Groats, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've stayed in two other two Holiday Inns in Munich and have been seriously unimpressed. So I wasn't really looking forward to staying here.

But it was great! I always find that the staff makes the difference - I was warmly welcomed and the lady wa helpful, friendlly and efficient.

I was upgraded - the room was very nice (and executive rooms have a free (mini) mini-bar).

Hotel is close to the underground; and there are plenty of restaurants (including McD) around.

I know where I'll stay next time I need a Munich hotel.

Well done HI Munich South.

Room Tip: Exec rooms are nice. Mine had a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank canoepunkie
Orange County, CA
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights early October for Oktoberfest during our European trip. The room was standard holiday inn but was cozy. The front desk staff were very nice and helpful in giving directions to the various attractions. We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner two nights and was better than the normal HI i stay at for business in the United States. I was nervous about how far it was to City Centre but after the stay I have to say it is not more than a 15 min U-Bahn trip. If we were going to stay longer I would probably stay closer to City Centre but I believe it was a good value for reward nights which is one reason we stayed here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eldred M
budapest
Reviewed November 21, 2012

we stayed here several times mainly for FCBayern games, and the hotel is conveniently located near the U-Bahn to get to the stadium
the staff is young and helpful
the rooms are clean, but a bit old fashioned. if you just want to sleep there it is OK
we always get a welcome gift, usually a nice muffin, or cake, nice touch
great for tourist visitng the city
the breakfast is nothing special, but it has everything, although the warm buffet is really a pain because the food is covered with heavy metal which you have to lift and there is no place to put it.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the elevator because the corridor is really long
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had the great pleasure of visiting Munich in mid November during a city wide blackout... it was fun watching the older gentleman in his bathrobe march to the front desk and demand the hotel turn the power back on... The staff handled it extremely well. But overall this was an extremely pricey Holiday Inn that was way out of the inner city and near almost nothing. Everything was extra... and the coffee pot in the reception was always empty.

Room Tip: One with power...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NEARBOLT

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was pretty much your typical Holiday Inn. The staff was pleasant but not exceptional. The bar area was perfectly okay but again, not exceptional.
The location was very convenient to the U-bahn Machtlfingerstrasse station and for that it deserves some credit. You can get a good deal on this hotel because it is not in the centre of town but you can get to the center of town in a matter of minutes thanks to its proximity to this station. I am going to be a repeat visitor to this hotel for that exact reason and have already booked my next stay.
Generally, you can pay more and get a better location or better amenities but this hotel is perfectly satisfactory and a good opportunity to save cash / PC points.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank girlfromSC
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

stayed at the hotel for two days.
The trip was associated with Oktoberfest and choice was limited.
nahodinsya far from the center, but near the metro.
standard hotel with lots of rooms and long corridors.
There is a mini gym.
There is a supermarket near the metro "REAL."
breakfast very good and varied for this level of hotel.
You can probably stay at this hotel again if no other central options

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business