“Convenient and well maintained hotel”

Maritim Hotel Munchen
Ranked #114 of 389 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had a long weekend in Munich. Chose this hotel through a travel website, when I searched on 'city centre'. The taxi ride from the airport was over 60 Euro. There's an S-Bahn train from the airport which would be much cheaper, and comes into the Hauptbahnhof (central station).

For convenience using a hotel as a base for a city break, it was ideal. A 2 minute walk to the Central Station. As with most major cities' central stations, the neighbourhood can appear a little grimy. Ignoring the street beggars and sex shops nearby (neither of which are as in-your-face as other cities I've visited) , this hotel is in a great location for shops and transport links. Museums, galleries etc are a 20 minute walk away, but can be reached by U-bahn much quicker.

The facilities are a little dated, but very well maintained. Hotel staff were very professional and courteous at all times. We arrived early and managed to get an early check-in, which was a bonus. We ate in the Bistro one evening. The food was excellent. The room was clean, very well maintained and comfortable. The bed was soft. The rooms might benefit from a couple of extra pillows! The Piano Bar has a very relaxed ambience.

The breakfast was, in my view, expensive for a buffet. We went elsewhere for breakfast for the remainder of the days of our stay. Looking at the hotel's website, I think advance-booking breafast makes it about 5 Euro cheaper - but even so, I think I'd still shop around...

The fitness room gym was typical of most hotels - a treadmill, cross trainer and cycle, and a multigym in a small room. If you plan on exercising, consider outdoors. I didn't visit the pool/sauna in the hotel, so cannot comment on that.

During our stay (May/June 2013) some demolition work was under way on an unconnected property across an adjacent courtyard on the north-side of the hotel. No works took place during our stay, so we weren't disturbed by it. But it might be worth asking on check-in (particularly if you want a lazy lie-in!) if the demoltion work has been fully completed, or if it's likely to disturb your stay (I wrote this review on June 6th 2013, 2 days after returning from Munich)

If I had need to return to Munich, I might consider looking elsewhere, but only because of the hotel's location - there are much more attractive sides of town, though the room rates in those areas probably are more expensive. If you rate decent customer service and want something on top of the Central station, look no further. Book the Maritim.

Room Tip: Check the building works have been completed across the courtyard to the north of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear "Andy P",

Thank you for your stay at MARITIM Hotel Munich and for the time you have taken for the evaluation of our house. Especially remarks from our guests may help us to improve our services.

We were very pleased to read your comments about our hotel and service. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. But again thank you very much!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My son(who works in Holland) and I met in Munich to attend a concert in the Olympiastadion.Unfortunately, it poured with rain for the entire 24 hours we were in the city and the temperature dropped to 4C in the evening!Trying not to let this colour overall impressions, we found that the Maritim didn't live up to its four star rating.It suffers from its location in a sleazy neighbourhood and the underground car park is straight out of a film noir.Staff on reception and, in particular, the restaurant were helpful but, with hindsight, we'd have done better to stay somewhere in the historic centre of the Munich -even for such a brief visit.According to other reviewers, there are umpteen better in the city and I feel sure they're right.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank graham g
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear "graham g",

We were very pleased to read your comments about our service. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. But again thank you very much!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.
Initially I was disappointed that they didn't have a room ready when I arrived at midday feeling unwell. I had a walk round and came back an hour later & room was ready. I was given a very clean, single room.
Bed was very comfortable but I agree with other reviews an extra pillow is necessary & I normally only sleep with one! It's a shame they don't keep spares in the wardrobe as I was too tired to phone for another pillow so improved with blanket!
Breakfast was very good, with a huge selection of juices, fresh fruits, cereals and cooked foods.
The area round the hotel is scruffy but felt safe. Very close to main station.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear "norflondoner2011",

We were very pleased to read your comments about our hotel. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. But again thank you very much!

When you take your next reservation please let us know that you need an additional pillow. We will gladly provide you one upon arrival.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Attended a two day conference here in May. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside and is quite dated inside. However the staff made up for this in the exceptional service the provided. Wouldn't stay here as tree are plenty of better hotels around. However it's close to shopping area so great for a weekend break maybe, if you don't mind the decor!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear guest "middleUK",

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

As other reviewers have stated, this hotel is close to the station but the surrounding neighbourhood is a bit rough and the streets are filthy. As long as you can make it from the lobby to the U-Bahn you'll be okay.

We booked this hotel through a discount website and got an excellent rate of less than $70 euros per night. We did opt to upgrade for a small fee to a newly renovated floor and this was well worth it. Room was very clean and shiny new. Lobby is a bit dark and depressing and breakfast in the basement was quite expensive so we hit the streets early and ate in cafes.

If you can get a really good deal like we did this hotel is worth it, just be aware of the neighbourhood it's in.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Winkdinkerson

Dear guest "Nanaimolan",

We were very pleased to read your comments about our hotel. But again thank you very much!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Having arrived in the city on the ICE, the fact that this property is located just across the street from the train station is priceless. We were also given a room on a newly renovated floor with bright lights, stark contrast from the dim dated lobby. Wifi is not free and is provided through a third party site. There are no TV channels in English other than the news.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest "AMoyet",

Referring to your stay at the MARITIM Hotel Munich, we want to say thank you for the evaluation of our house. Especially remarks from our guests may help us to improve our services. We feel very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Your comments on the condition of the internet we have taken note with regret. Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to discounted Internet fees, as our price contract binds the company to those prices.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at our MARITIM Hotel in Munich.

Yours sincerely
MARITIM Hotel Munich

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm a retired state law enforcement employee and now work part time for a major airline so I can travel for free. As such we do numerous long haul trips of short duration a year. We wanted to go to Munich for a few days and it looked good for us getting first class both ways (and we did). I have a very good friend who lives in Munich and we wanted to go to Therme Erding again the first day and go to Munich art museum Alte Pinakothek for the Brueghel exhibit. Used Priceline to bid on a hotel for two nights and wound up in the Maritim Hotel Munchen. After getting the bid I looked up the hotel on line and found that Maritim is a name brand chain of hotel in Europe. I than read all the recent Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel. After staying there for two nights I found many of the reviews to be a bit harsh. Thanks to Trip Advisor I knew we wanted a renovated room. I called the hotel and found that four of the six floors have been renovated. I was told that the Priceline booking was for a un-renovated room but I could pay for an upgrade on the phone right than and there or when I checked in if it was available or might just wind up being checked into an upgraded room. I also asked the front desk clerk about the internet and he told me that you could connect through the hotel using a wired cable for 15 Euro per day or use a T-Mobile wi-fi hot spot in the hotel for 4.95 Euro a day (used the T-Mobile wi-fi which also worked in a number of other Munich areas including the airport and was completely satisfied with the service). The clerk could not have been nicer over the telephone.

The day we arrived in Munich my friend picked us up at the airport and we went right to Therme Erding which opens at 10AM. Spent the better part of the day there and had a great time. If you're in Munich and you have a half day to just relax this is the place to go. Unfortunately we have nothing like this in the US and it's just a wonderful experience and completely relaxing. We than went to dinner with our friend and some of his friends. We wound up at the hotel around 10PM to check in and were pretty exhausted by this time. The front desk clerk was attentive and when I said my last name he immediately said my full name back to me so he was aware of the folks who hadn't checked in for the day. I asked what floor our room was on and he said we had been upgraded to a superior room on the fifth floor (so we got a renovated room for no additional cost). The hotel has three elevator so never much of a wait and we were in our room within a few minutes. The hallways were all relatively new, very well light, nice carpeting and spotlessly clean. Our room was the same way. Wonderful bathroom, very good shower, the Maritim bathroom products are very nice. The lighting in the room was very good with convenient controls. Had a nice flat screen TV with numerous channels of which three news channels were in English and a safe. Only usual amenity of European hotels which was missing was an electric hot water maker (we bring tea and Starbucks instant coffee for the room). But the bathroom hot water was so hot we were able to use that and it worked out just fine. Beds very good but like many of the Trip Advisor reviews said the pillows are not sufficient. If there were six pillows on the bed it would be fine but they only give you two. There were two very nice folded robes on the bed though and by placing one under each pillow we had a passable solution. I see the management reads and responds to the Trip Advisor reviews and I really suggest that make more pillow available, this really is my only complaint about what otherwise was just about a perfect hotel.

We got up late the next morning. I went to a supermarket down the street and got bread, cold cut meats, pastries and juice for a breakfast and coffee in the room. We were than off to the art museum (Alte Pinakothek which was about a twenty minute walk for the afternoon. This was our first visit there and is a wonderful facility and we well certainly be back. Returned back to the hotel in the early evening, and enjoyed the roof top indoor pool along with the sauna and steam room. Met our friends again for another wonderful German dinner. Next morning it was a short walk to the main train station and subway. Took the subway back to the airport (takes about 45 minutes). Had some time to kill and was able to utilize the Lufthansa first class lounge which is very nice. As an airline employee, on the way home we were able to get first class by flying through Chicago and than home to Newark. It was a wonderful two day trip to Munich, which is just a great city. There is no doubt that we'll be back soon and we would be lucky to stay in the Munich Maritim Hotel again. Also, the other Trip Advisor comments about the area of the hotel are way, way to harsh. It's a business area that happens to have some sex shops and casinos like any big city would have. Anyone who would find this offensive must be visiting from a different planet. Also, we found our room to be very quite and there were no noise issues at all.

Thank you Maritim Munich.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. I guess soon they will all be renovated.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chiefcopper
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear “Chiefcopper”,