“Spacious room, great connections”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #82 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Espoo, Finland
“Spacious room, great connections”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Hotel has spatious rooms but they are a bit weary. My bathroom tiling had seen the best days in 1990's. Location is great, both to Old city and airport. Breakfast was good and Wifi functioned speedy enough. extra plus for well designed lighting.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and the atmosphere in the Hilton Munich City.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Kindest regards

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have visited Munich several times on work and had heard the Hilton City is a very good hotel. It was never available at a good rate, so I never got the chance. But while planning my recent trip, I was happy to see that it was available and immediately booked it. On hindsight, I realize the reason – I also wouldn’t want to stay here again on my next trip. While the hotel is a typical large chain hotel in a good location, it doesn’t work so well.
Check-in was smooth but I was horrified to hear they charge €25 per day for internet access in the room. In this day & age, most business hotels give internet access for free (at least in corporate packages like I had) as people need to be connected. Novotel and Holiday Inn in the vicinity charge a nominal fee. There is free wi-fi access in the lobby, but it works only in the lobby, not even in the entire floor or the restaurant where breakfast is served.
I asked for a non-smoking room with city view and I got a room on the first floor overlooking the street, certainly not the view I had in mind. While there was a non-smoking sign on the room, there was a very strong odour of cigarette smoke in the room. It diminished over the 3 days I stayed there but it was still very much there. A couple of tiles in the bathroom were cracked.
The breakfast was good and lavish, service there was good.
Access from the subway station is very convenient – so one doesn’t have to be outdoor if it is raining or snowing. But there is a short flight of steps, which is not convenient if one has heavy luggage coming or going to the airport.
The last surprise was that my credit card was charged for an unexplained reason after I had left the hotel. I had provided my card during check-in as guarantee but had paid cash while checking out. I wrote to the hotel and they replied saying it was a system error and they had reversed the charge.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank for recently staying with us at Hilton Munich City and for informing us about your experience. Only due to guests who share their impressions with us, either positive or negative, we are able to look at our performances objectively and filter out the strengths and weaknesses of our hotel.

Regarding the smoky smell in your room please be assured that I will directly contact our executive housekeeper to prevent this happening in the future and would be very grateful if you contact me via Ramona.reisinger@hilton.com to receive your room number you stayed in. I understand that you expected a fresh, clean non-smoking room and take this opportunity to apologise for the room not meeting your expectations.

I was also able to learn that you thought our internet cost was too expensive. I would like to inform you for a potential future stay that we do also offer the type of rates including internet for a lower price that you mention. Unfortunately we did have a router issue in the restaurant during the time you visited which was been rectified to offer free internet in the restaurant as well.

Although you left with a negative impression, I still hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Munich.

If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time

With kind regards from the beautiful city of Munich

Ramona Reisinger
Executive Office
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a good hotel in a location that allows you an easy walk into the city centre or you can go through the hotel and get to a train station (without being run over by cyclists). There are shops across the road (Aldi). Only complaint was the amount of children doing all sorts of things in the lobby!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and taking the time to share your experiences online with other travelers.

It was pleasing to read your positive feedback regarding the hotel's unique location which is indeed a great benefit for us.

We do look forward to welcome you back as our guest in Munich.

Philip Murray
Operations Manager
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We typically like to stay at local hotels in European cities but were able to get a really great rate through Hilton Honors with free wifi and breakfast so we couldn't pass it up. The hotel was nicer than I was expecting with a large lobby area: seating, a bar and cafe as well as the hotel restaurant. The service was excellent at the front desk, concierge and in the restaurant for breakfast. This was really just a place for us to sleep and so the accommodations met our needs. My only complaint was that the room was hot, even with the temperature turned all the way to cool and we needed to sleep with the window open. Fortunately our room faced the back of the hotel and there was no street noise. The best feature of this hotel is it's location to public transportation. As others have mentioned, the S-bahn station (Rosenheimer Platz) is directly below the hotel, you don't even have to go outside. Mareinplatz (the main square in Munich) is two short stops away making our time in Munich about seeing the city and not spending time on the train. We also took a day trip to Dachau and again the train was right at our doorstep. One note of caution, some of the S-bahn lines do not stop at this stop on the weekends, especially if you are heading back to the airport but they typically do post signs. The breakfast was huge assortment of items, both hot and cold but I believe it was around 25 euors per person. I think this is a typical price in Munich, but had it not been complimentary for us, I would have eaten ala carte at their small cafe in the lobby as a less expensive option. All in all, I was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We were very grateful to read your detailed feedback on Tripadvisor and would like to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City.

I was delighted to read that our accommodations met your needs as well as that you enjoyed your trip in Munich.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us in the near future.

All the best

Switzerland
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much. The staff was very friendly and helpful! The next S-Bahn station is accessible through the lobby and you get really fast to the city center. All the soft drinks in the minibar where free. Highly recommendable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very grateful for your positive feedback on your stay at Hilton Munich City and we are delighted your stay was a memorable one.

I was delighted to read that everything was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay a lot, as well as the great location which is often remarked upon.

We are looking forward to welcome you again to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Best regards from Munich

Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed November 5, 2013

An eighties/nineties style hotel with a good overall quality level and perfect connection to public transport. Unfortunately, a few points keep me from being delighted:
* The bathrooms need renovation - mold can be discovered.
* Doors and some furniture look used (scratches and ditches).
* No spa/sauna available.
* Restaurant remains closed during the day.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side, it's noisy 24/7.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I would be very grateful if you would be so kind to contact me directly via Ramona.reisinger@hilton.comin order to let me know the room number you stayed in. This way I can inform our engineering department and ask them to address the issues you have raised.

We hope to hearing from you and are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Kindest regards

Ramona Reisinger
Executive Office
Minnesota
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just got back from our annual visit to Munich and the wonderful Hilton Munich City. As always the staff is incredible and the location superb. This time we arrived by train from Wurzburg and bought our 3 day S-bahn ticket before heading to the hotel. Being able to travel around the city by leaving directly from under the hotel is so user friendly.

We checked in at the front desk and were upgraded to the Executive floor where the lounge is located. The EL employees are very helpful with room questions and directions and maps. Because we stay there every year we feel like we are coming home. The food in the restaurant is very good.

We also enjoy the the underground mall beneath the hotel where we can get additional beverages and snacks for our room. It is all so convenient for a hotel guest and visitor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel and sharing this positive review online with other travelers.

I was very happy to read your positive comments about our service in the Executive Lounge and the quality of our food which I will share with my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest next year.

If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at any time.

All the best