“Worth a stop!”
Review of Augustinerkeller

Augustinerkeller
Ranked #2 of 208 Nightlife in Munich
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1824, this popular beer garden is considered by many to be the best in town, both for its Augustiner beer and its beautiful grounds.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Worth a stop!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Arguably the best beer hall/beer garden in Munich. I stop by every time I'm in town. Great beer, friendly locals, and the atmosphere...why can't we have something like this elsewhere?

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Average”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After reading great reviews about this place (and having it recommended to me by German friends) I went in with high expectatons. I was quite disappointed. It didn't have the same friendly vibe as Hofbrauhaus. We found a seat quite quickly and our waiter provided us with English menus which was nice. The food and drinks were brought round quite quickly and were delicious. Decent portions and the food was very tasty so I cannot fault this. However, when we asked for the bill the waiter informed us "tip is not included" I was already aware of this and didn't appreciate being told- his tip would have been more generous if he hadn't asked for it!! This was the only establishment who though it necessary to inform customers that tip was not included.

Visited February 2013
Orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Authentic German”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

For an authentic afternoon or evening, hit the Augustiner-Keller. It's just a couple blocks from the traine station. Mostly set outdoors with picknick tables.
Lots of German foods to be tasted, great local color, beautiful place to have an outdoor beer and dinner or lunch.
Very much an outdoorsy German feel with lots of locals.
Sample many Ausustiner beers and also wines.
You'll find friendly locals to chat with and have a beer.

I would not visit during poor weather as its mostly outdoors.

Visited August 2012
Pune, India
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A great, traditional beer hall in Munich”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This place is walking distance from the main train station. Great selection of beer, efficient service and very good Bavarian food to go with it. It is a huge beer hall with one of the oldest and probably the only independent brewery in Munich. I had a combination of pork chops, crispy duck and sausages in the Bavarian gravy with red spiced cabbage and a potato ball. Not sure about the potato ball, but everything else was very good. An experience to be had while in Munich.

Visited February 2013
nashville
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Wonderful, more locals, and just a few minutes from the train station”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My (21 year old) son and I have walked over to Marienplatz several times, but this time we headed to the other side of the train station to try the Rick Steve's recommendation of Augustinerkeller. The previous night we were at the infamous (and larger) Hofbrahaus. How do they compare? Augustiner seemed to have more locals and was "warmer". Hofbrahaus is a multi-story but history entity that has a souvenir store! It is in a convenient touristy area and the Hard Rock is across the street. Both have the authentic feel when you get in. Service is GREAT at both. Food wise, I think Augustiner offered more traditional and heartier plates and didn't charge for pretzels! Of course, they are a tad more expensive.

Both servers were very good and appreciative of the extra $ we gave as a tip. Not mandatory in Germany but really appreciated (so yanks, give 10-20% and make someone's day!).

Visited January 2013