Hotel Am Markt
$464
$329
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat locationsmall elevatormarienplatz stationrooms are smallcentral locationchristmas marketyour luggagethird floorloved this hotelwould definitely stay here againshort walkshort staystayed here for nightsviktualienmarkthofbrauhausconvenienceproximity
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed in the Hotel am Markt with a group of friends and had a fabulous time exploring Munich. We booked room only through a website and were delighted with the location.
The hotel is bright, clean and the room I stayed in was big enough and the shower was powerful and hot. You are located at the corner of the food market near the Mariensplatz with its tourist attractions and high street shopping if that is your choice.
With access to the city's excellent transport system from Mariensplatz the city is your oyster, the Olympic Park, the football stadium and good restaurants and bars are all around the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DenisB40
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We enjoyed the suite on 4th floor. Space-wise it was generous. We slept well and even had friends over in the sitting room. The kitchen we did not use as we dinned out all the time. However it looks reasonably functional and equipped for small meals. We also did not have breakfast in the hotel. There are so many lovely places in walking distance we wanted to try that it was simply not worthwhile to get stuck with the usual breakfast. Unfortunately there is no real shower. So, we opted for a bath every evening. Overall a great place to stay as the old city of Munich, the Viktualien Market, shopping arcades and Sightseeing Tours are right at the doorstep.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room. The regular ones seem to be a bit on the small side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cd_lavender
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Years ago I stayed at the Hotel Am Markt in Munich. I remember it as being charming and very local with a wonderful location on the Viktualien Market. I booked it again as I remembered it so fondly in the past.
It is charming. When you drive up to it the tall building on the side of the market just says "Germany".
On arrival I found the desk clerk less than helpful, happy or enthusiastic. My room was not ready which was fine and expected as I arrived on an early morning flight. I was allowed to keep my luggage in the lobby and wander the market for some coffee and rolls. I was told to come back in one hour.
I came back in two hours and was given my room key. When I walked into the room the room was still not made up from the guest before me. It took another two hours for the room to be cleaned.
The rooms are very small and simple. The good news is that now all the rooms have private baths. (Before the rooms were shared bath).
The beds are comfortable and bathrooms are small but modern. I did not find the housekeeping to be the best.
The walls are paper thin and in the room next to me was a man with a bad smoker's cough, who coughed all night long - it was like he was in the room with me and very annoying.
I did hear that the penthouse room on the top level is amazing and a much nicer level than the smaller room in the floors below.
The old sitting area on the first floor is now a very hip, cool restaurant called "Ludwig's" and it's the place to be!
There is so much to do the area and some of the best restaurants are just a few steps from the hotel's front door. The best thing is just strolling the market and taste testing all the local foods.
The location is hard to beat in Munich. The downside is the lack of service at the hotel. I seldom got a smile or a hello when I came in or handed over my key to go out. You do not feel like a welcomed guest.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank James S
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed there 2 nights in January,2013.
Small but clear rooms with minimum service. Small bathroom with pillows and soap only. Without minibar and phone. Quit old futniture.
But location is excelent. Hotel located in pedestrian zone in the downtown. 50 metres from Rathouse with famous dancing clocks and shopping streets and Viktualen markt. Many sightseeng are in walking distance from this hotel.
Also it has very interesting glass elevator for one people with luggage only

Room Tip: Double room on the 4th floor looks like a flat and one on the floor only.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank IgorPala
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Nice people, accomodating, great location. Mediocre hotel. Pretty bleh actually. Tired decor, pillows, mattresses. But still, great location. Breakfast included was also meh. Not a wide variety of foods.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple