“Trip to Salzburg with John Bavarian tour”

Johns Bavarian Tours
Ranked #43 of 124 Tours in Munich
Victoriaville, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Trip to Salzburg with John Bavarian tour”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We went to Salzburg with John.
We paid, John délivrées the goods!
Not your bus tour guyde who speak only to fight the silence.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Marq D

Syracuse, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally unique Bavarian attractions”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently booked Johns Bavarian Tours for a special Big Birthday, one-day, one-of-a-kind "discover Bavaria" event. My guests were coming from the US, Poland, Ireland and even northern Germany hoping to see something off the beaten path that would be a conclusion to several days of celebrations and parties.

Little did I think that we would get such a terrific, unusual day as the one John Wetstone put together for us. First he collected us a hotel in downtown Munich. Then we quickly went out in his commodious van heading for the Alpine foothills, where we went to a local treasure near Lake deep in the Bavarian Alps where a Olympic Gold medal winning skier has built an outdoor
Bavarian folk art farm museum. This recently-opened property encompassing several acres tucked away in a valley with towering 1,000-ft "foothills" offers insights into Bavarian farm culture dating back hundreds of years. Here he transported four- and five hundred year old cottages, farms and workshops to this location, reconstructed them with all sorts of genuine artifacts and memorabilia, and staffed them with guides and artisans in accurate replica costumes. Working kitchens, pottery shops, blacksmith forges and kitchens show how Bavarians lived and worked from Medieval times until just a hundred years ago. -- there is nothing quite like this anywhere else . Truth to tell, we seemed to be only non-Germans viewing this fantastic day in the Middle Ages. We even enjoyed Bock beer brewed on the premises!

John also took us to a local distillery where modern day Bavarian whiskey and other liquors, cordials and schnapps are made from fruits, herbs and roots. Highly unusual to say the least.

He later brought us to a destination high above Lake Chiemsee giving us a panorama of a broad stretch of southernmost Bavaria extending to Austria, a view only locals seem to know and cherish, way off the beaten path. Needless to say, my friends and I were delighted to do something so different from what 99% of all tourists usually see. With only very limited German, my friends' needs were easily taken care of as John handled all the descriptions and information in English.

Johns Bavarian Tours made my last day of birthday celebrations and unforgettable finale. My guests were extremely impressed with his knowledge, expertise and ability to find really interesting new destinations. We certainly recommend John Wetstone very highly.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank TomLipton
Sao Paulo, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent 2 tours with John: Salzburg an Zugspitze”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I had 2 tours with John and both were wonderful time for me.
First tour was to Salzburg, a fantastic birth town of Mozart. John walked me into many impressive sites, including a amazing lunch at oldest restaurant in Europe. He explained me in detail about visited sites and as a bonus we could make a quick stop to see Chimisee lake when we return.
Second tour was to Zugspitze, worderful landscape on highest mountain in Germany, partucular on winter. We could see skiing activities from te top of the mountain meanwhile had a nice hot chocalate. Day was gordious and afterward we also visited Garmisch and its nice wall painted houses. As I had an appointment at Holzkirchen, John managed to show me all this and also deliver me sharp on time to my appointment.
I recommed John's service for a wonderful time in Bavaria!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank serraoguilherme
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hohenschwangau Castle and the Museum Der Bayerischen Konigen”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend in Munich with a group of 20 supporters of Welsh National Opera, where we saw a performance of Wagner’s Lohengrin. Given the enormously important role King Ludwig II played in Wagner’s life – and vice versa – we thought we should combine a trip to the opera with a visit to one of Ludwig’s castles. Fortunately, early on in my planning I came across John Wetstone’s website. I soon decided to put myself in his hands both for organizing our visit to Hohenschwangau and recommending a hotel. His hotel recommendation (Hotel Opera) was absolutely right for this group but above all he created and executed an original and engaging whole-day tour for us to the castle and museum nearby. Everyone who took part continued to tell us throughout the rest of the weekend how much they enjoyed the day with him. It helped having marvelous weather but John’s choice of itinerary and the balance between study and relaxation were exactly right. Everyone also enjoyed his very personal style of guiding: it was totally different from the all-too-frequent guide speaking from a memorized script, who cannot be interrupted, which had marred the group’s weekend trip to Barcelona a couple of years ago. Everything, including coach transport and lunch, was organized with maximum efficiency and minimum fuss. Above all John went to great trouble to find out the interests of this particular group and briefed the castle and museum guides accordingly. Anyone wanting a personalized tour of Munich and Ludwig’s castles should make Johns Bavarian Tours their first port of call.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank johnward168
Utah
“John is Amazing !!!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had purchased tickets for the Neuschwanstein castle and missed our tour because the horse carriages were way behind schedule. Luckily, I found John. Without hesitation he hurried us to the ticket office and was able to get us in the next tour by pulling some major strings for us. John completely went out of his way and saved our trip. I cannot tell you how much i appreciate John and his willingness to provide such service. I will be going back to Bavaria soon and will book a tour with him Immediately !!!!

THANKS JOHN :)

Visited September 2012
1 Thank darbymadison
Private-Guided-Tours, Owner at Johns Bavarian Tours, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Many thanks for your entry in Tripadvisor; in reference to how I could help you with tickets exchange.

For other readers I would like to take this opportunity to add some information so that they do not find themselves in such a situation, as I am not always there to come to the rescue.

In regard to using the horse and carriage to reach Neuschwanstien palace, this being the only way up the Small Mountain in the coming winter months.

Allow at least 45 minutes going up and 30 or more coming down. Walking time for a healthy good walkers being at least 30 minutes; the castle has 357 steps, so if you do not have excellent walking abilities with good hips and knees and breathing, better not venture up there.

Ludwig built this castle for himself not for the public; getting up and down is large problem which the management has been working on since it was first opened two weeks after Ludwig died on June 13, 1886.

After the snow is gone there will be 2 bus services that go up the mountain which are far superior to the horse and carriage system which may be discontinued soon, this is due a recent serious accident which has taken place.

I advise my guests not to use the horse carriage but the bus when possible.

Also it has scaffolding that will not be removed until at least spring of 2013 for photos it leaves much to be desired until the scaffolding has been removed. Sorry to disappoint anyone but those are the facts which only the insiders know.

Hope I helped everyone with this information. Please visit my website for more information and pictures; found under Private Tours my Ludwig tour #5, which I have being giving for almost a decade.