“Quiet Stay”

Novotel Munich Airport
Ranked #71 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed for a night in this hotel due to an early flight the next day.

Not within walking distance to the hotel from Munich Airport. One needs to take the local bus at a cost of Euro1.30 per trip. Bus stops directly in front of the hotel.

Decor as what one would expect from the Novotel group. Sleep quality is good and one cant hear the planes flying past.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank uki_05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I were very happy with the room and service we had. The wifi internet worked very well and was super fast. My only comment is that the directions to the Bus 635 that takes you to the hotel were not well indicated in the arrival terminal. Also it would be nice if the hotel would provide a bus voucher for the 1.80 euro ticket as it is not convenient to buy it on the bus

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was very curious to what would meet me at this hotel after reading all the reviews on this site. Was it a airport hotel? Did you really have to take a bus to the terminals? Did it truly look like a hospital as someone said, and was it really a muddy field to cross to get to the train station?

I was prepared to find out, and had three nights to do so. We were in for three days in Munich, and went for this hotel due to high prices in the city.

We decided to not bother with buses at 22:00 at night, and simply took a taxi.It was 10 Euro, and not very cheap but oh-so effective. From the ride we did, it didn't feel like an airport hotel, but I was proven wrong on that one (more on that later).

Staff was quite stiff at first meet. A pretty looking German girl at the front desk mentioned two seperate beds. I have no idea why she said so. Maybe I booked the room wrong? We were puzzled, and said we needed one big bed. She said she only had smoking rooms available, but would help out find something else if the room smelled of smoke. Both me and my wife are very aware cigarette smell, so this was the first test. They passed with flying colors. The smell of cigs in the room were so weak we didn't react to it. If I noticed a touch of it the first night, it was all gone the next day and we never bothered to change rooms. The room was also surprisingly quiet for a hotel situated between the two runways of the airport. Yes, that's where it is. That's airport for you. Planes passing by on each side. The TV was quite small in comparison to the standard of the room and little English talking channels (dubbing is extremely silly). The bed was a tad hard and made my back a bit sore. Could just be me and not the bed itself. The shower did not keep a constant temperature, which was a minus.

New staff the next day, which were not as stiff. The last staff member we spoke to, a nice Asian woman, were very friendly and service-minded indeed.

Onwards to transportation. Forget all about the bus stuff people speak of. Take the train. There is no muddy field. It's a park. It takes five minutes to walk from the station to the hotel. We had bags too. We didn't suffer one bit. We felt like idiots for taking the taxi when the train were so close by. We used the train station for all transport to and from Munich and to the airport. Worked like a charm. This is what Germans knows best. Get off at Besucherpark and you're set, it's a two minute ride from the airport. You will see the hotel clearly from the train station. Easy. It's perfectly situated for both layovers and visitors to the city.They even have escalators so you won't have to drag your suitcases up and down stairs. The Besucherpark is a very nice place with a restaurant called Tante Ju and has a really good place for plane spotters. Take a stroll over there as well. Highpoint for me personally. Of all the complaints about location and transportation, this turned out to be the least of our worries.

The bar is expensive, but saves the day in quality. Staff again a bit stiff like most Germans tend to be. The lobby got a few computers, and guess what, no annoying teenagers around either (someone mentioned that). The hotel looks nothing like a hospital. It's new, stylish, clean and quiet.

Now for the minus. It goes beyond me how a respectable hotel chain does not offer people easy Wi-Fi access. We asked, and got 24 hours free internet if we signed up for whatever (haven't gotten any spam from them yet). After those 24 hours, you pay. Large sums as well. The signal was weak even if we were in the first floor. If you need to pay, go for T-Mobile. They charge less. It's horrendous, abysmal - a complete disaster to not offer easy Wi-Fi access. This is how you do it; you have free Wi-Fi, quick connect. No sign-ups, no codes, no usernames, no nothing. When shabby B&Bs in most western countries can do it, so can you. In these times, this is as needed as a toilet. Get to it. It was such a hazzle to be online, and therefore I will not use this hotel again until they have fixed this matter.

If you don't care about Wi-Fi, the hotel is perfect. Both for layovers and weekend stays in Munich and comes recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spitfireix
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Novotel at the Munich Airport is modern and clean. Not much airport noise - despite being only 6 miles away. The windows do not open- probably helping to keep the place quiet. Only one night here- and it was darn expensive !!!! The restaurant was also high priced- and there are no other options. For a lay over hotel it works, but not for anything else. Billooltewah USA

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Billooltewah
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I just spent two nights at the Novotel, paying 499 euros for the first night and 349 euros for the second night because my company scheduled a meeting that happened to coincide with Munich's biggest trade fair and rooms were in high demand.

I am a Le Club Accor member, which, sadly, offered me no benefits at this hotel. The first room I had, I could not get the air conditioning to work, but I suffered through the night because I didn't check in until midnight that night. The next morning (before a breakfast at their really good buffet) I told the front desk that the a/c was inoperable and was assured by the young man that it would be taken care of by the time I got back to my room in the evening.

Well, not only was it not taken care of, but the heater came on and couldn't be shut off. I suffered for a few hours thinking that because the front desk man wasn't helpful the first time, why should I waste efforts to try a second time? But by 1 a.m., I was roasting like a goose, so I called down to the front desk to ask for help to at least open the windows (which, by the way, is not possible, even though it's only a four-story hotel). She was shocked when she entered my room because the heater was blasting, and she was very kind, moving me to another room.

My stay here was not restful because of the lack of properly working temperature controls and as a result, I cannot recommend this place. That said, the facility was clean, modern, the food was exceptionally good, and most of the people were very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Really liked the value that was provided by this hotel - great room, bed was comfortable and nice selection of bath products. The shower took me a few minutes to figure out. I ordered room service, the service was good but the food was eh. We also booked during the Bauma Conference and the price of the room was jacked up as a result.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was stunned at how much value Novotel packed into my little room. I loved the entire experience. I stayed one night after a transfer flight from Turkey. The check in staff were friendly and helpful. My room was pure German - like a little BMW car interior. I loved the little details - the room, the TV, the bathroom and all the neat extras. Best of all...the bathroom mirror was heated so after my shower the mirror was not fogged up! I've never seen that before. What will they think of next. I had supper in the restaurant and it was fantastic. The only downside I can think of was the fact that there was no free shuttle to this hotel. I had to take Bus 365 to get to the hotel. It cost 1.30 Euros and took about 7 minutes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munich
Hilton Munich Airport
NH Muenchen Airport
#2 of 4 in Schwaig
Munich Airport Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport

Been to Novotel Munich Airport? Share your experiences!