“Excelent Experience”

LOUIS Hotel
Ranked #14 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed July 16, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for LOUIS Hotel

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I decided to take a last minute trip to Munich to watch the World Cup finals, and we decided to stay at the Louis Hotel for two nights. The hotel has an absolutely amazing location - right off an adorable market and a block away from Marienplatz. We took the train from the airport, and it was really easy to find (please note my caution below about using the train though!). The Hofbrahaus is approximately five minutes away by foot, and the English Garden is about 20 minutes away by foot. We loved being able to have some beers and tasty pretzels and bratwurst right outside of the hotel.

Upon check-in, the front desk staff member was somewhat aloof and so soft spoken we had trouble hearing him. We booked a Courtyard Deluxe room, which was located on the top floor of the hotel. Our room was quite spacious, with a desk, sofa, table, and queen size bed. There were separate rooms for the toilet and shower/sink, and a pull out closet for belongings. The room also had an adorable balcony that looked out onto the courtyard.

The soundproofing for the room was fantastic - we kept the balcony doors open one afternoon, and we couldn't believe how loud the church bells were. The noise added to the joy of being in Munich, but it's not something I would want to hear while trying to sleep in. With the balcony doors closed, we could not hear a peep.

We also experienced a few downsides with the room. First, there were two sets of sheets on the bed - one for the right side of the bed, and one for the left. I have never seen this before, but it was annoying to try to keep the sheets on and cuddle with my hubby. Second, if you have hair that tangles easily, make sure you bring your own conditioner. The "conditioning shampoo" was not conditioning at all, and the hotel does not provide separate conditioner. A small issue, but a big one for people whose hair tangles easily. Of note, the hotel does provide body lotion and a hair dryer.

The biggest issue I faced was the height of the bathtub/shower. I am 5'3", and the bathtub was as high as my upper thigh. I tried getting into the bathtub and slipped, and I have a massive bruise on my thigh as a result. I warned the hotel upon checkout that it was the tallest bathtub I have ever seen on my travels, and that non-slip fixtures should be placed in the bottom of the tub for safety reasons. I am relatively young and do not have any mobility issues. If you do have mobility issues (or if you're a shorty like me), please take care getting in and out of the bathtub.

On our first night, we had light appetizers and sushi in the restaurant downstairs. Slightly expensive, but worth the cost. Don't miss out on the sweet potato starter, the calamari, and salmon rolls.

I cannot put my finger on it, but something just felt off about the hotel. I keep trying to figure out words to define it from a design- and ambiance-perspective, but I am at a loss for adjectives. For example, I asked my husband how he would define the hotel, and he said, "trendy" and "spooky." Not typical words to define a hotel, and I have to agree with him regarding both descriptors. It just didn't leave me with a strong positive impression from a design or service perspective (although I don't have a lot of complaints either). That being said, I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel for location alone, which is absolutely perfect.

Lastly, as an aside, if you are planning to take the train from the hotel to the airport, PLEASE make sure you buy your ticket AND validate it. The Marienplatz train station is under construction, and we didn't notice any signs stating that we had to validate our ticket after purchasing it. On our way to the airport, two train officers fined us 40 euros each because we had not validated our tickets. They took no pity on us being first-time tourists to the city or our lack of knowledge regarding the validation process. I researched the fines after getting home, and it looks like this has happened to other tourists. It's our fault for not knowing about this rule, but I hope this warning will help other travellers avoid the exorbitant fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank B.G._Chicago
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed for two nights on a three day layover in Germany we did before heading on to S. Africa.

Pros:

1. The location of the hotel is wonderful. It's very easy to get to from the S-Bahn stop. Take the S-Bahn to the Marienplatz stop. Look for the arrows that point you toward the exit for the Viktualienmarkt. When you come up the stairs, go straight till you come to the next street and then make a right. The hotel is up the block and will be on the right-hand side. The sign is not front facing on the street, it's on the side of a building. You'll see an elevator that you take up to the level to check in.

2. Staff are very friendly and will do almost anything for you. They printed our boarding passes for us and gave us directions to anything we asked.

3. Breakfast at the hotel was great and they had a wonderful selection.

Cons (bearing in mind these are all in the eye of the reviewer):

1. Room decor was a little stark for us. We stayed in a Couryard Deluxe room that did not really have a courtyard view. There was not even a clock in the room. There was no hotel directory in the room to tell you anything about the hotel itself or that it was the front desk that you had to ask for everything because there was no concierge.

2. The front desk could be busy and because there was no concierge would might have to wait to get your questions answered. Also on check-in they didn't tell us they were the one-stop shop.

3. You definetly need reservations for their roof top terrace bar/restaurant. We weren't told this at check-in so just FYI. Having said that, they were great in allowing us to have a cocktail on the roof before they needed to seat the guests who had known to reserve a table. We didn't linger b/c we didn't want to hold them up.

Having said the above, what we did experience was very good and it's a nice hotel. If I went back, I'd probably try some place different but in the same area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheesi
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is one of the best 4 star hotels I've visited, the design is terrific and smart, location amazing, literally within half a block from the main plaza of Munich. Service very accommodating, and the size and décor of the rooms unbeatable.

It has a smart modern feel, but remains cozy and classy at the same time.

Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel, has a modern, neat clean feel. The staff were great,and you will be hard pressed to find a better location in Munich. Great Experience and the restaurant breakfast and dinner stood out because of the freshness of everything on the menu. Cocktails were very well crafted as well. Wish I had tried the Japanese cuisine at night, cause it was full.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Hotel Louis has so many plus points that its difficult to find a negative to it !
- Location is amazing. Its a ONE minute walk from marineplatz . The main street (Ludwig street and Leopold Strabe') was only a fifteen minute walk. The hotel staff ( VICTOR) who we interacted with was extremely friendly, suggested some very good places to go to. He also booked a guest entry for us at a good night club.
-Rooms are spacious, very clean and well lit.
-We were told that the Breakfast (unfortunately we didn't have it) was amazing.
-The lobby was grand.

Munich by itself is a fantastic city, and staying at Hotel Louis made it even better. Unfortunately we only stayed there for one night but i regret that and i would definately visit again and would recommend everyone to blindly stay here !!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite !
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Louis Hotel is a unique design (a bit scandinavian style of furniture) hotel very well located at centre of Munich. Big rooms with fantastic view (room 609) on the famous Viktualien market. This hotel is perfectly well located to discover the city by foot. Very qualitative restaurant. Superb Terrasse on the roof.

Room Tip: 609 (view!)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business