“Great looking hotel but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of LOUIS Hotel

LOUIS Hotel
Ranked #16 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great looking hotel but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I feel very conflicted about this review... First and foremost I really like this hotel - superbly designed, lovely, large rooms and a super location. On the other hand there some oddities that irked all the more because the surroundings were so perfect. No Wi-Fi connection in my room (okay in lobby etc so obviously a router problem), absolutely no hot water at 9am, frayed and holed towels, and a very limited room service menu (supper only).

A really odd mixture but one which suggests that the management need to get a bit of a grip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Ctephen
Felix P, Manager at LOUIS Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest, (Ctephen)

we thank you for your valued feedback, which we are following up on, in order to improve our product quality in the future. For the missing supply of the hot water, we sincerely apologize. On this specific day in February a whole quarter was affected by an outfall of the public water supply. Unfortunately the hotel did not have any influence on this situation. Regarding the issue with the WIFI, we would like to inform you, that we have installed a fully working system in the meanwhile. Room service is being offered 24hrs a day. Regarding the terry cloth we sort out the items which are damaged on a daily basis. Should it have happened that you were in the possession of a damaged towel, we sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We have retrained our housekeeping personnel in this matter. It belongs to our daily standard to provide the best of service and quality possible and would be happy to welcome you back tot he Louis Hotel in spite of your previous experiences.

Kind regards,
Jens Gmiat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We picked this hotel because other travelers recommended on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. The location is the best you can expect if you are a tourist. The hotel is modern and so are the rooms. The staff was very helpful

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raquel1889
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I will be back to this hotel! I found this hotel through TripAdvisor, but did not know much about Munich so it was a somewhat random choice. This hotel was not only in a perfect location (around the old town of Munich...shops...Marianplatz...beer halls), but it was a really nice facility. The rooms were quirky (very cool and functional furnishings) and the staff was very friendly. The hotel felt like a mix of upscale and hip. I look forward to bringing my wife to this hotel on my next visit to Munich...she will love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank michael_in_irvine
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My family stayed in this hotel for three nights in mid-December. This hotel is near the Viktualienmarkt and Marienplatz, which is a huge plus location-wise for Christmas markets. The Marienplatz subway stop is also quite useful for heading out to other parts of town. Our Louis Room was large and modern. The toilet was in a separate room that had no sink and was about 15 feet from the bathroom, which is not ideal. Most of the staff were helpful, but the woman who checked us in seemed irritated that we had arrived. Also, my wife was sick one day and stayed in the room. During the third time that my wife was interrupted while trying to sleep (the "do not disturb" sign was not completely effective), a member of the hotel staff asked if there was anything they could do to help make her feel better. When we suggested that they replace the two bottles of water that came with the room, the staff woman replied that complimentary water was only provided on the first night. When I went to purchase water out of the mini-bar, one of the bottles' labels was covered with mildew, which was gross. These were exceptions to the norm—most of the hotel employees were friendly and helpful, the room was clean, the bathroom was large, and the room service meal was tasty. Overall, a clean and mostly friendly hotel that just needs a little improvement in its interactions with its guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights at the start of December for the Christmas markets. The location of the hotel is fantasic with the Viktualienmarkt on your doorstep and Marienplatz just around the corner. I had read the main entrance is slightly difficult to find so I had researched this in October during another visit to a town nearby, I'm glad I did. One you know where it is,I didn't have any issues. The lift out to the Viktualienmarkt is very handy.
I booked a courtyard deluxe room that was on the 5th floor. The room had a great view over St. Peter's spire and hearing the bells ring during the day were wonderful, not too loud. The 1st bells I noticed were at 7am. The duoble glazing made them plesant to listen to.
We were lucky to arrive on St. Nikolaus night, 6th December and got a present on our pillows.
The room was layout was very nice altohough we did not find the bed as comfortable as the previous night in the Sheraton Carlton Hotel in Nuremberg.
I am still trying to understand if a king size quilt is a British thing as most beds in Germany come with these quilts for one, each on a big bed.
Our room came with a glass panel between the bedroom and shower that let you watch your partner wash behind their ears is you wished but a curtain was available to be pulled over the window.
One afternoon I had a luke warm shower as the hot water wasn't working but as soon as it was reported I had a technician up to my room at it was sorted out very promptly.
I didn't dine in the hotel for breakfast or dinner as I wished to try out a few new restaurants in Munich.
At the end of the day, no matter where I stay I ask myself the simple question "would I go back".
For this hotel, I'm sorry to say that I would say no.It just didn't have the comfort factor for the price I paid. Location great, staff very attentive but I was looking forward to getting more.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BelfastGiantsFan
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

As another reviewer previously mentioned, it was a bit difficult to find the Louis Hotel at pavement level. The hotel is inside a larger building and we just could not spot it. Once inside, the staff was fantastic. We were running a little late and wanted to contact a tour company to join our tour in progress. The female reception person could not locate a local phone number and even called the Berlin office in an attempt to help us. The bartenders were friendly and efficient and we had booked a nice large courtyard deluxe room. I did have some wifi connections issues but a staff member immediately brought me a new id and password to the room. We enjoyed our stay and did love the central location of the hotel. It was a great spot to go to many of the Christmas markets. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel had wonderful food and reasonable prices.

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank LorraineT808
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My partner & I spent five nights in this hotel at the start of December 2012 to visit the Munich Christmas markets and some of the major sights of Bavaria. Believe the excellent reviews on here as we picked this hotel after reading them and weren't disappointed. This hotel is definitely one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in. The location is just perfect - right on the Viktualienmarkt and walking distance to all the major sites in the City Centre. The check-in and bar staff were at all times very polite and helpful. There are four standards of room - we had chosen to stay in a 'Courtyard Deluxe' which is the third standard - although based on the room we were assigned (on the fifth floor) I can imagine even the fourth standard is lovely. The room was huge, one of the largest I've ever stayed in. Big comfy bed and a 'sitting area' with a chair, chaise longue and coffee table. There was also a large desk and free Wifi which I am happy to report worked really well almost all of the time we were there. Lovely view from the balcony to the Alter Peter church, particularly beautiful in the snow. The room had a gorgeous bathroom, powerful shower over a bathtub, slippers and bathrobes provided, plus separate room for the toilet (I've seen this a few times in different hotels in Germany). The room also spotlessly clean. I can't review the breakfast nor the Japanese restaurant as we never used either, preferring to visit local restaurants and cafes nearby. However we did have excellent cocktails in the small and cosy bar on our last night. I would thorougly recommend this hotel - it was for the most part really peaceful (except for the church bells some mornings!) and we never heard any noise from rooms above, below or next door. We were sorry to leave but will be back...sometime!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple