“Smart modern hotel with good transport links”

Eurostars Grand Central
Ranked #47 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Smart modern hotel with good transport links”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We purposefully chose this hotel for its location within walking distance of Hackerbrucke station, a tram stop within a few metres of the hotel entrance and a pleasant direct walk to Marienplatz. We got around the city and further out with ease by buying a 3 day ticket that could be used on all public transport and left the car in the hotel garage. We booked direct on the hotel website a couple of days before arrival and got a good deal including parking, breakfast and late check out averaging 150 euros per night which we felt was good value for location and type of hotel. It is only a couple of years old and pictures on the web do look like the hotel.

We had a room overlooking the main street where the trams run but weren't disturbed. The room was spacious and comfortable. The huge bed was made up of two big singles which weren't secured together so did slip apart. The bathroom has a separate toilet.

Good selection for breakfast but sometimes service a bit slow to request coffee.

I would recommend this hotel and stay there again myself.

1 Thank HarleyDavidson1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Baie-St-Paul, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was here during a comference somthe hotel jacked their prices to 500€ a night. Way too expensive for such a place. The rooms are clean and spacious, but certainly not worth the above price. Where it realy hurts is the service. Realy bad! The bar is the worst. Took 15 to 20 min every time we ordered something. The bartender had an atitude. It was hard to get a simple smile when we ordered anything, anywhere. All and all, a decent hotel that can be overpriced and where the service is below expectations.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Miami
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had a hard time finding a Munich hotel that would accommodate my family of four. However, this one accommodated us in great luxury with two bedrooms, living area, and 1.5 bathrooms (My only gripe was that, for some reason, the full bath adjoined the room with twin beds). It wasn't cheap, but my daughter had stayed in a much more expensive Kapinski hotel the year before when traveling with her grandmother, and she said this was just as nice. Great breakfast, reasonable location close to the train station and two stops from Marienplatz. The staff were nice and helpful. Would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: Check out the pool, which is indoors and has a little bubble spa (not heated) with the kids at the e...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was a bit of a walk from the train station with luggage, though there is a trolley stop right outside. The hotel staff were polite and helpful to all of our inquires during our stay. The bathrooms in the room have a large painted glass panel that can make share accomedations interesting. Wifi was weak the further from the center of hotel one was, however we were in a corner room and rarely had issues. The breakfast provided by the hotel was more American, with both pastries and hot dishes. We stayed in a double room with spare bed for three of us, the room was very large.

While the price was higher than we wanted to spend, it was worth it in the end.

Room Tip: Rooms facing street may have trolley noise, though not very loud.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nicely-decorated spacious room. Wi-fi seemed to only work in the public area, so lounge area was mostly occupied by people trying to get online with their various devices. Crazily expensive breakfast - we ate at a local bakery for a third of the price! Beds in double room, need locking wheels as they kept sliding apart at the slightest movement. Rooms very clean with interesting transparent bathroom wall so beware if sharing with "friends". Staff were really friendly and helpful. Small but well-equipped gym and spacious swimming pool so don't forget your swim stuff! A little over-priced but so was the rest of Munich when we booked!

Adelaide
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here two weeks ago for four nights. It was a longer walk from the train station than I thought but the tram was outside the door. The room was large and very clean. Two things we didn't like : we asked for a non smoking room but could smell smoke and bathroom wall next to the bed was made of painted glass and when you went to the bathroom in the night and switched the light on, the whole bedroom was lit up. Luckily I had a small torch in my suitcase so that solved that problem. We had a very quiet room even though it was facing the street, the staff were very nice and we would stay there again. I can't comment on breakfast as we ate breakfast elsewhere. We did have a snack one night in the area next to the bar and it was awful - some meatloaf dish, but the young lady serving us was very pleasant. On checking out we mentioned the glass wall and were told when booking again, to ask for a room with a normal wall.

1 Thank AdelaideMarilyn
London
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The reception staff are friendly and smiley, checked me in quickly. I had a lovely room, sleek, comfortable and modern. Beautiful bed, comfy and soft, Very comfortable room indeed. The bathroom was fantastic, with modern fittings.

There was a bit of outside noise though as my room was facing the road, although I am a sound sleeper so it did not effect me too much. With the window being shut it drowned out most of it.

The location is pretty good. Well it was okay for me. The tram is literally right outside the door, Hackerbrücke S-Bahn station is about a 5 min walk away. It is not smack bang in the middle of the city, but it is pretty close nonetheless and transport connections are great. There is also a small shopping precinct above the nearby central bus station. This has a Lidl, bakery, a chemists and a few other essentials.

The only issues I have is that I think the hotel is a little too 'trusting'. I paid 3 mornings of the buffet breakfast, and I walked in without being crossed off the room list. No one was there. This happened 2 out of the 3 mornings. Only on the 3rd morning did I insist on being crossed off the list.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would happily use it again. I would also recommend this hotel to others. Thank you Eurostar Central!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo