“Excellent Value hotel”
Review of Am Sendlinger Tor

Am Sendlinger Tor
Ranked #362 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

I knew what i was in for...expect the room and the bathrooms to be small-for the value, i have no right to complain. Free wi-fi, excellent location! The bathroom was small but clean. Towels were changed everyday, the curtain was a little smelly but tolerable i guess. Stay here if you are on a value trip...this is a typical 2.5 star hotel. We can hear when our neighbors flush their toilet and they can hear our conversations but then again, u cant complain for the price you pay. Will stay again if i come back to munich

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good hotel for the price. Clean basic rooms, friendly staff, and wonderful location. 10 minutes by foot to the main square and set in nice neighborhood. It surpassed my expectations and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank G R
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is exactly as advertised. And at Eur 39 per night in the city centre of a city like Munich do not expect luxury. if you do then your expectations will not be met. However, the hotel is in a fantastic location, clean, staff friendly and helpful, luggage room facility, and lift. the room itself is very very basic, clean bedding, clean shower/bathroom. i did not expect more and was pleasantly surprised. From the airport it is easy, get a ticket from the machine, simply type in airport to sendlinger tor and the ticket for E10.40 is issued. then get on the S train change at Marienplatz and 1 stop down is sendlinger tor. There are many exits but if you take the sendlinger tor and walk out of the Archway turn right, cross the road to the lights, cross the lights and the hotel is opposite you in the corner. 3 minutes away. From the Archway this is the easiest way to get to the hotel. Opposite the archway the road leads to Marienplatz in 8 minutes walk. Loads of shops along the way. I would say that this is an ideal hotel for a 1-4 day stay.

Room Tip: i was on the fourth floor. no noise, very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JSammut
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cold and dirty rooms, terrible service. Overall the worst hotel I have stayed in my life!!!!!
Somebody before me rated this hotel as a 3 star hotel. If I was to rate this hotel I would rate it with 1 star maximum.

Room Tip: My advice is : Dont book this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MIchailM13
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at this Pleasent Hotel for 4 Nights in Decenber 2013 (the purpose of our trip was to visit the Christmas Markets of which Munich has many) we arrived fairly late on a Monday evening and were keen to get to the Hotel as check in closes at 11.30, we took the airport train and got off at Marienplatz where we asked a local couple for directions it took us about 15-20mins to reach the Hotel from the Stn, there are other alternative options ( get off at Karlplatz or Hptbaunhof and get the U baun to Sendlinger Tor) I would suggest this option if you have a fair amount of luggage, we arrived at the Hotel at 11.20, the friendly girl on Reception said they dont have an option for guests arriving after 11.30 so just made it, the room we stayed was on the first floor, and bigger than we expected it had a small kitchen area a seated area with a couch and tv and a separate bedroom with plenty of space for you to put your clothes, the only negative was the bathroom which was very small in comparison to the rest of the room, the room had all that you would need for a comfortable stay, I dont think there is a Breakfast option at this Hotel but there are a few cafes/bakeries quite close by so that was'nt much of a problem, Munich has a wealth of History and is well worth a visit, Now would I stay at this Hotel again ? good location, clean, pleasant staff,....my answer would be Yes !!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CheshireUKMike_c
Reviewed January 17, 2013

First i want to start off with directions. The hotel gives you very vague directions and they are wrong. They say take the s1 from airport to central station then change to U1 toward mangfall plats to Sendlinger tor, just one stop. get off walk 2 minutes to hotel. o.k. which way??? Here are the correct directions that i got from some locals on the train. You do take the s1 from
the airport but get off at the sendlinger tor stop. DO NOT go all the way to the central station there is no need to backtrack and go through all the hastle with luggage.. When you get off at Sendlinger Tor find the Ostbahnof exit and take that one. ( when i got down there I didnt know what exit to take as there are many down there. Luckily I found an information station that pointed me in the right direction.) When you find the Ostanhof exit, go up stairs then turn left like a U turn and go to hte end of the street. Then go R and go to the stop light about 50 feeet. cross the street and the hotel is on the right.. The guy that checked me in was very nice. The beds were comfortable and so were the pillows. My room had a small refrigerator. the room was very clean as well as the bathroom. Although the shower was extra small but had good water pressure. The heaters are tricky to work but once you figure them out they work good. The location is very good. only a few blocks to Marienplats square and you can walk to the train station or take the metro. I would not recommend walking from the train station with luggage as it is about a 10-15 minute walk and i got lost coming back from there once. They do not have breakfast but they have coffee & tea in the room which they replenish daily. I recommend this hotel and will stay there again and the rates are great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank World-wander-woman
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed there in early January '13, and at just $59 per night, I didn't have very high expectations.
The Good: location is awesome. Sendlinger Tor is just across the street, and the Hbf is one U-bahn stop away. Shops/restaurants & pedestrian zone just outside the door.
The Bad: the pictures of the rooms on the hotel website are HILARIOUS! (http://www.cityhotel-munich.de/en/rooms) These are NOT the rooms in the hotel. The room I got was a tiny cell with four plain white walls and fluorescent light. See the picture I attached. The bed was a 4-inch foam pad on a wooden frame. The radiator in the bathroom did not work at all. The tiny shower cabinet was cheap and rickety, flooding the floor. I sensed this was a recent renovation, since the wall paint looked new as did the furniture. Wi-fi is free, but you have to be in the lobby for a signal strong enough to be useable. No breakfast offered, but there's a million amazing bakeries and cafes in the neighborhood.
I only interacted with the check-in guy and he was very professional. My checkout was before dawn, so I just threw the key in the drop-box.
If you need a place to just throw your stuff in and sleep, and you're not picky about a warm room or comfortable bed, then this is a bargain, just for the great location in the city. But for the misleading online photos, sad/tiny room, basic lack of amenities, and horrible prison rack they call a bed, I cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I didn't hear any street noise. Window looked out directly into another building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business