“An Italian experience in Munich”
Review of Trattoria Al Boccone - CLOSED

Trattoria Al Boccone
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Most of the restaurants in the main pedestrian areas were heaving so I headed just away from the centre a little and found the Trattoria Al Boccone which had several spare tables. I perched on one of the bar stools set either side of a small table just inside the restaurant almost on the pavement. The place has a very authentic Italian feel with one room's tables covered in pink table-cloths and the other in a green check. There is a large kitchen area/antipasto display in the second room with chefs constantly checking and adding to the fare. The service was very welcoming and a large weisse (white) beer (€3.90) arrived in no time. The waiter, on discovering that I was a vegetarian, organised a plate of very tasty antipasto (€7.50) which included artichokes, green beans and peppers. For the main I had the ravioli stuffed with walnuts and aubergine (€12.50) which was excellent. The half-dozen pasta parcels were served in a luxurious butter sauce and were the best I've had for about 15 years. I had swapped to a carafe of the Primitivo red wine by then (€9 for 0.25l - 'un quartino'). The risotto that got a bad review before has disappeared and the cannelloni is now on the menu!

I have to say that this was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time and I felt totally unhurried and very welcome. The whole place, staff included, create a typical Italian space in this very Bavarian part of the world.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stopped in this place as it was around the corner from our hotel. Seated promptly at small table by window. My wife was going to order ravioli, but waiter suggested spinach & ricotta cannelloni (tho not listed on the menu or specials board) while I went with poached monkfish & potatoes in spicy red sauce. Both were AWESOME! Service was friendly and attentive, and prices on par with Aldstadt area. Would recommend to any small party, since a bit small for larger groups. We will stop in next time in Munich.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stumbled on this place on a walk thru Munchen. Very prompt service, good pizza (square as it was) and ice cold erdlinger bier. Prices were ok too, at 9 euro for a pizza and 3 euro for a beer.
It was very comforting after all the leberkase and wienerschnitzel. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant on a busy Thursday evening. We received a very warm welcome, were seated at the bar and provided with beverages and a little "amuse bouche". We had to wait a very short time for a table, which was great since the place was very busy and we didn't have a reservation. At this point, we were very pleased and had high hopes for a very good meal.

Things started very well. My husband and I each had a salad (he: tomato and onion, me: mixed) and both were excellent. Things fell apart, however, with the main course. I had the risotto, which was quite mediocre. The rice was undercooked and the dish had a gloopy, rather than creamy, texture although it did have a very good strong cheese flavour. My husband had lasagna, which was very tasty but was ice cold in the middle.

The service provided by the waiter was poor verging on rude. He was mostly fine with us, but he ended up in a fight with patrons at two different tables (one over whether they should be charged for the risotto that they sent back, the ther with whether the Osso Buco should have been sliced in the kitchen or brought to the table to be carved by the patrons). It was very uncomfortable in such a small space.

Over all I would say that this restaurant is good but not great.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

After 2 days of German cuisine,we chanced upon this eatery.The waiter and chef welcomed us.Service was prompt,friendly and polite even though they are busy with their work.Restaurant is small,seats up to 35 guests max we think.Menu selection is reasonable for food and drink.Food was freshly cooked after order,a bit of wait but worth it.You can see the elderly,energetic and experienced chef whipping up your pasta or main course.And he uses fresh herbs hanging over the counter.There is another kitchen doing the pizza and the deserts.Food was well cooked and delicious.Good value for money.Was nice to see some of the regulars greet and say goodbye to the chef and waiters.