Review of Zum Durnbraeu

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Try the small franks with sauerkraut and the traditional potato soup. Both are delicious!!! The large white franks are bland, so avoid those.

1  Thank Ashley W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed August 28, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful meal at this restaurant. I had the duck and my husband had the schweinshate. This restaurant had a wonderful atmosphere and attentive service. Don't be thrown off by the courtyard in the front being full, there is plenty of seating inside and outside in the back. I would definitely recommend that you eat at this restaurant during your time in Munich.

2  Thank lburford105
Reviewed August 24, 2014

With a few nights in Munich it is good to visit a Bavarian themed restaurant, it was Saturday night and the place was humming with lots of locals enjoying the night out. Always a good sign near a touristy strip as is the case on Tal.
Of course there are lots of variation in the Bavarian dishes but be prepared to see offal as key ingredient in some of the prominent choices on the menu. After the shock, one can see there are other more palatable choices for those not into offal. Be prepared for the plate sizes are large and therefore for most a main meal will be sufficient. The beer is also a popular choice and it is unusual to see women sitting down to a 500ml glass or tankard, there are 1L options if you are brave. German wine choices are fine, but there are often Italian and French labels too.
There are some outside sating but for the true Bavarian effect take a table inside. This is sometimes shared with other diners but it seems to be a common and accepted practice.
Munich has a lot of choice for restaurants and you would need to be here for a long time to experience them all so take a short cut and take Zum Duernbreau as place to start.
Staff were very polite and helpful, good English and the prices were most reasonable,

2  Thank theredman01
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Based on the hotel's recommendation we went here. A little hard to find, but well worth it. After a long day of traveling it was relaxing to just sit outside, have some great food and relax. Service was good and food even better.

Highly recommend

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We ended up here by accident. After a horrible experience at Hofbrauhaus, we went across the street to a small restaurant for traditional German food. I specifically wanted potato salad. The hostess was gracious in stating they did not have potato salad, however directed us around the corner to Zum Duernbraeu. (It was nice to know that there are kind restaurant staff in Munich compared to what we had experienced at Hofbrauhaus). We did not have a reservation and although it was late, it was still early enough (for European dining) that there were seats available.
The kind waiter placed us at a long table and informed us that it may be necessary to seat other guests at the table. I stated that "it was no problem", however we finished our meal before anyone else showed up. The bench seats had pillows for comfort.
The menu was elaborate with many items I had not seen on any other menu during my visit to Berlin and Munich. I settled for the pork shank (they substituted the German potato salad for another type of potato that came with the meal); my daughter had a huge slice of pork with cracklin'. I also had a huge mug of the best tasting beer I ever had.
Excellence for the meal, the surroundings/environment, the service and beer. What a real, authentic Bavarian experience. Nothing like the zoo (Hofbrauhaus) that we were fortunate enough to escape from before spending any money.