“Lovely setting for a quiet beer, wish I'd tried the food”
Review of Zum Durnbraeu

Zum Durnbraeu
Ranked #29 of 3,746 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting for a quiet beer, wish I'd tried the food”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Spotted this place down an alley and popped in for an early afternoon beer. It was understandably quiet, but really liked the setting, and the bar staff were fun and friendly. One of the more cozy places we tried when in Munich for the week.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bend, Oregon
“Memorable food in Munich”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a sit down restaurant and a huge step up from what you will find in a typical beer hall. The setting is traditional Bavarian style with dark wood, light colored walls, and antlers. But Zum Durnbrau really excels at their execution of traditional Bavarian food. We had schweinbraten ( roast pork) served in a dark beer based gravy with fresh kartoffelknudel ( potato dumplings) with a small piece of pork crackling skin which was like a porky-salty-crispy explosion in my mouth. We also had a vegetarian option of spatzel with cheese sauce which was topped with crunchy deep fried onions. Yes, this is like macaroni and cheese. But perhaps the best macaroni and cheese you'll ever have.

Zum Durnbrau is relatively small and reservations are required at night. I suggest you try lunch instead for a less crowded and quieter meal.

Espoo, Finland
“Mid-quality traditional Bavarian restaurant”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went in Zum Durnbrau during Oktoberfest season. The restaurant is just off the main street. The outside of the restaurant is very inviting in the evening with the fairy lights hanging by the terrace. The inside was no disappointment either: a typical German setting with one long table in the middle and several smaller slots along it. A lot of noise, as there should be on a crowded evening.
We were there for the traditional experience, so I had the potato soup while my husband chose a bread soup. Before the soups arrived, we had bretzels on the table to munch on with beer. The soups were delicious, but filled us up before the main course.
As main course I had a mixed sausage platter, and my husband chose the Nurnberger sausages, both with sauerkraut, fried potatoes and mustard. The sausages were good, but not mind-blowing. I think I enjoyed the sauerkraut most!
The service was speedy and friendly, despite of the restaurant being totally packed due to high season. The waitresses spoke English well, and knew how to guide us through their menu.
If you want the traditional experience, including the high noise levels and no-so-romantic atmosphere, I recommend Zum Durnbrau. The best way to enjoy the restaurant is to go with a group of friends to have beer, rustic food and a laugh!

Reston, Virginia
“Ten great dinners”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I greatly enjoyed five evenings at Zum Durnbrau during a recent trip to Munich. In addition to fine Bavarian appetizers, soups,and entrees and good German and Austrian wines, we loved the Kaiserschmarrn - a sublime dessert as prepared at the Zum Durnbrau.

The staff made each of our visits memorable - really nice people who provided terrific service and good advice about enjoying Munich.

The restaurant is charming - fine outdoor seating and an inviting traditional Bavarian dining room.

We look forward to returning.

San Antonio, Texas
“GREAT LOCAL SPOT NEAR THE HOFBRAUHAUS”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were looking for a dinner spot after a few beers and this was a very inviting place on a chilly winter night. It was packed but we were seated promptly and the service and food were just about perfect. If you are looking for value and atmosphere give this a try. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited December 2012