“Ok”

Ranked #62 of 77 Specialty Lodging in Munich
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Went here with a collage trip last week, upon arriving it was looking great, the room was what you would expect for the price. The only problem we had was trouble with the security at the nights he was very Un friendly,also he did not treat us in a like grown ups, apart from the it was ok

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
denver
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for only one night (thank goodness) and were surprised at how unenjoyable the experience was. I had stayed at an A&O in Dresden last year, and it was really nice, so I trusted the name. We reserved well in advance (1 month), for a 6 person room. Upon arriving, were surprised to find out that neither sheets nor towels were included. We payed the 5€ to rent their stiff sheets. We went up to our room, and went through two doors, which took us out onto a porch, where there were four rooms - one of which was ours. Inside, we found an old, rickety room, and a stain on the wall next to our top bunk. The bathroom was old and the sink spewed towards the operator. When we came back in the evening after going out to dinner, our key cards suddenly didn't work. We went back down, and had to get new cards.

Furthermore, don't underestimate how far away this hostel is from the city center. If you want to pay to take the tram, it's fine and easy. But if you want to save money and walk... it's a really long walk. Budget 40 or so minutes.

I would never stay here again. It is well worth paying a few more euros and staying somewhere else, and somewhere a little closer to the city.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Munich hotels

Plaistow, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed here on a night out last year. Hostel was a bit far from the town especially when eager to get into the pubs, must have been 3/4hr walk. The check-in process took forever and the staff were very unhelpful esp to people not speaking German. There was no parking either. Unfortunately could not find it after a few too many Dunkels at the beer hall! the taxi driver couldn't seem to find it either. Eventually we got back...Woke up in the morning to find that the water pipes had burst in the bathroom/toilet and the place was ankle deep in murky water. The staff didn't seem that bothered about it and we left after they said it was a problem with the room. Couldn't use any of the facilities but still didn't get a refund... Wouldn't recommend this hotel at all :)

Room Tip: There are no good rooms by the looks of things
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've made a last-minute decision and went back to Munich on Nov 2nd evening after spending a nice time in Salzburg. Had a look at other hostels but they were all fully booked, so I decided to giva a chance to A&O Hackerbrucke despite of some bad reviews I had seen here in Tripadvisor. First of all, the sign at Munich central station saying the hostel is just 10 min walk from there is kind of deceptive, since it's not that close mainly if you have luggage with you (take the tram 16 or 17 instead!!). When I arrived at the hostel, the staff was overloaded with the demands of the other guests in the queue and when it was my turn a boy and a girl from the staff occupied themselves with anything but doing my check-in, only a third one helped me. And last, but not least, the bed... worst ever, noisy and with a mattress that was worn out, as thick as a piece of carton. Not to mention the unpolite roomates, but this is not hostel's fault.
Such a different experience from the positive one I had last semester in A&O Frankfurt (see my review). I expected to find the same pattern in Munich, but I have failed. Never again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AnaCris1972
AO_Support, Leiter Gästebetreuung at A&O Muenchen Hackerbruecke, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Ana,

thank you very much for your feedback!

We are very sorry that you encountered problems during your stay at the A&O Munich Hackerbrücke.

When the hostel is fully booked it is not always possible to guarantee a smooth check in.
We regret that although our staff tried their best to serve all guests as quickly as possible you had to wait longer than usual to get your room.
We check and change our mattresses on a regular basis to provide good beds for our guests.
It is too bad that you apparently had an older mattress which was of low quality, please send us your room number too feedback@aohostels.com so we can check the beds inside.

We hope you appreciate our efforts and look forward to welcoming you again at A&O HOTELS and HOSTELS.

Kind regards,

You A&O Support Team
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Upon arrival thankfully there was no waiting in line which I learned I was extremely lucky because every other time I needed something at reception, there was a non moving line? Over all I felt that the staff were trying their best but simply were not being supported by overall management. It is not necessarily a "party hostel" more of a place where groups of young German people come and stay so they can get drunk in the city and then arrive back in the morning wasted and still avail of the 24hr bar. All the staff were pleasant even the guy behind the bar who I got quite angry at because he took an extremely long time to make me a cappuccino but he was crazy busy so I apologized. I think you have to pay for the linen? I used my sleeping bag! Not so many plugs in the room and also lighting is terrible. On a positive note the WiFi in the lobby was good, the bathroom had handwash and bodywash, everything was relatively clean but I most likely will not return.

Room Tip: Not sure, I just took a dorm room as it was the cheapest!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LuxuriousTraveler004
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Didn't expect much when we booked it however it was just what we were after for my stag do. Considering what we paid we didn't have any complaints about the rooms and was only a short walk to the station

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hostel has been my home throughout the last few Oktoberfests, the staff are working tirelessly and really have a tough job! Having worked in hostels a lot, I applaud them...... Anyway the hostel was fine, the rooms and beds were clean, the bathrooms could be maintained better, but nothings perfect right? Failing that they have an amazing rooftop bar, which is open till late, allowing for those post tent drinks..... Anyway thanks guys, see you again next year!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo