“Great budget hotel”

Ranked #131 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Macclesfield
“Great budget hotel”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Keeping up my recent trend of avoiding the big name hotels my three day trip to Munich in January brought my first stay a the Vi Vadi on Marrstrasse and at less than €240 euro for three nights I wasn't expecting too much...however, it's easy to find has a large office style reception area and the room I had was spacious, clean and quiet. Ok the lift is a little slow, but I've seen lots worse. If you travel alone a lot then dining out becomes a function rather than a pleasure and I really enjoyed the entirely useable kitchenette. There's a supermarket just around the corner and you can be in Munich centre in 10 mins.....this is definately a repeat visit hotel for me.
Check in and out was hassle free...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SimonLMacclesfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in the hotel on my way to the airport. I chose it due to its vicinity to the station (5 mins walk or less) and its relatively low price (62 EUR for a single), compared to what you would be paying elsewhere within the ring in Munich.
The hotel is not extremely good looking from the outside, and has a very basic hall. Lift and corridors are also very average, however rooms are well furnished, tidy and functional, as depicted online; the one I was in (I think it is a standard double) also had a little kitchenette, with basic crockery and a kettle. The bed was comfortable and the minimalist approach to furnishing felt quite cozy. The toilet is rather small, but has all the necessary and it was very clean. WiFi is included in the price, I had a good signal and the speed was all right. The price I had negotiated through booking.com did not include breakfast.
The staff was very helpful and even if I had arrived quite early, they were able to fit me in straight away.
Another additional bonus that I had seen on previous reviews was the co-location with the Vi Vadi restaurant, that has the same name but is not co-owned. It is an Italian restaurant that has good prices and very good service, so I was able to make use of it, both to eat in and with the room service, which is rather inexpensive considering the location.
Considering the station is so close, with all its transport facilities, I would certainly recommend this hotel to both business travellers and tourists who want to explore Munich, both for the overall level of facilities and it very competitive price.

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from lift
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break and booked based on reviews from others. What a let down. Room was very dated, smelt, old worn shower curtain, very high level of traffic noise and superb view of a parking garage. TV was ok. Never again.

• Stayed January 2013
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Vi Vadi with friends on a sightseeing trip of Munich. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the main station and a 10-15 minute walk from the centre. The room was very modern with a small kitchenette and cleaned daily. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Free wifi was slow but useful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city for any type of trip

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duncan F
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for a couple of days I had to spend in Munich before leaving Germany after a two-week business trip. I read several reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor and was pleased to see mostly positive reviews. That along with a very good price led me to book the room for the 3 nights I would spend in Munich. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very spacious, modern, and clean. The location was superb. It was only about 2 blocks from Munich's version of Grand Central Station which it made it very easy to get to the airport on the public train system. Also close by was the main shopping district which contained a seasonal Christmas market as well as an ice skating rink similar to the one at Rockefeller Center in New York City. My only gripe is that the wireless Internet connection in the room (I was on the 6th floor) was somewhat slow but reliable (I found this to be also an issue in a hotel in another city in Germany). However, this was not a problem as I was able to get a stronger signal in the lobby which I used to make phone calls using Skype. All in all, I will definitely stay there again if I ever visit Munich again. The room was large and included a queen bed, kitchen with sink, mini-fridge, microwave and 2-burner stove. There was a flat panel television opposite the bed and plenty of storage in the hallway. Part of the closet contained a rod and close hangers and the other part included ample shelving for storage as well as an electronic security safe. It was a very good deal for the price and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Richard B
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My stay in the Vi Vadi was on the last of three nights in Munich. I think was spoiled a bit by the very likable 2 star hotel that I stayed in for two nights that preceded the Vi Vadi.

The Vi Vadi was up to the task applying the criteria of location (about a 4 min walk to the north entrance of the Munich main train station), cleanliness, and room size. However, I felt the rooms were "tired" and needed a renovation. Items such as fixtures, cabinets, and the bathroom could benefit greatly from a fresher look. The single elevator struck me as very slow and certainly it was old. Initially the doors did not want to close when three of us and bags were in the elevator. One of us then left the elevator and the elevator then came to life. I'm not in a position to say if the elevator needed repairs, but I just felt more comfortable walking the stairs to my room.

The staff in the office at both check-in and check-out were very pleasant and upbeat. One factor to consider is that the hotel office is not open 24 hrs a day. From a safety and security standpoint, I'm more comfortable being in a hotel that has round the clock assistance from staff. Even losing a key after hours can become an ordeal. On the topic of keys, the room keys are not the typical hotel plastic keycard. They are metal. Just my opinion, but getting back to the topic of losing keys, I'd much prefer an electronic card reader on my door for simplicity as well as safety and security. Given the reception is set off from the entrance and the office is not staffed 24 hrs a day, the keys are not turned by the guest when leaving the hotel and then issued again when arriving back in the hotel. For metal keys I would prefer that protocol frankly. Lastly, I wasn't too impressed with the hallways of the hotel. The lighting was very dim and the carpet is dark. These aesthetics cheapened the look of property and made the hotel feel lower grade than otherwise it is.

My room was quite spacious. The room felt more like a very small studio apartment than a typical hotel room. I would characterize the room as basic but comfortable for a traveler whose main focus is being outside of the room. My room faced the rear of the hotel so I overlooked some apartments and thus the room was very quiet. There was a balcony, but my friends on the floor above did not have a balcony so if having balcony access is a priority be sure to inquire with the staff. The shower had great temperature control and water pressure. I did like the mini-bar fridge and the beer selections. There were also two electric ranges and plenty of cabinet space for the traveler that wants to stock up food supplies or indulge in some basic food preparation. The wifi was included in the room. The wifi wasn't very fast or reliable though.

The reasons I selected this hotel were its location and rating. I feel that value for money was at the limit. Yes, the location is excellent but there are some areas could use improvement. Cosmetically the hotel could use some work, but having said that the rooms were ample in size, quiet, and clean.

Room Tip: I found the single elevator to be pretty tired and very slow. I would recommend lower floors because...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank RegionalRoadie
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel's best asset is primarily its location- it takes only a few minutes to walk to the Hoftbahnhoft, and the Marienplatz is a short walk away. Beyond that, the hotel seems more like an old dormitory - the rooms have thin floors and walls, the elevator is slow, the furnishings old and worn. Although our room was nonsmoking, the towels we received reeked of cigarette smoke and had a few small holes in them. Additionally, the wi-fi was so slow and the connection so poor that my husband and I started frequenting the nearby Starbucks to utilize their free wi-fi. Finally, the hotel does not use keycards for the rooms - actual keys are issued, and the only way we could lock or open the door from the inside the room was to use the key - extremely dangerous in the event of a fire. The price was somewhat fair, but I still won't return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple