“Great service and location for walking to go paragliding and seeing the castles.”
Review of Alpenhotel Allgaeu

and 1 more site!
Alpenhotel Allgaeu
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hohenschwangau
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ingrid told me of a path to take to Tegelbergbahn so I could tandem paraglide. It is a safer and scenic path to get there. Her and Sabrina are very hospitable and a friend of mine in Regensburg wanted to know where I stayed as he thinks it will be a good place for a family vacation. He wrote down the address, and I mentioned that the breakfast was good and Meier restaurant is next door with good food and good dark beer ! I thought my room was fine with a view of Neuschwanstein. I showed my friend in Regensburg the video I took from my hotel window of Neuschwanstein, and he said, "Perfect !" It's quiet and a good location. I was there in June 2012 and hope to go back in 2014. Ron from Lincoln,NE. U.S.A.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Ron H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2012. We new that this hotel was not uber-modern when we booked it, but it looked comfortable enough & close to the castles.

It was very easy to find (we drove from Munich).
Our room was pretty basic - but was all we needed - comfortable bed , awesome view of a meadow & mountains, and free wi-fi!!! The wi-fi we learned is very hard to come by in Europe.

Breakfast was not as fancy as some of the larger hotels you might visit, but was very tasty.

Best part about this hotel is how close it is to the 2 castles. We could easily walk to the ticket booth for the castle, small village and shuttles to Neuschwantein.

We ate at the attached restaurant the night we arrived - DELICIOUS. Again - aesthetically needs some updating, but super friendly & delicious!

We truly wish we could have spend more time in this area. It was beautiful!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovethebeach1126
Salo, Italy
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is not the first time that my husband and I visit the castles of king Ludwig II with friends and with parents. We have always found a warm welcome in this hotel with tipic Bavarian concept.
I also like it because it is in the middle of fields with mountain view but, at the same time, a really a short walk far away from the ticket office for the castles entrance.
In the same building there is also a GREAT gourmet restaurant " Roswitha und Wolfgang Meier" : to be sincere, the main reason we visit Bavaria so often is to go and have dinner at Wolfgang's.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice but there are two rooms with castle view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We really enjoyed the location of this hotel as we could walk from here to Neuschwanstein and Konig schloss, also it was easy to get to excellent (recommended) nearby restaurants, the lakes and the sommerrodelbahn (highly recommended for families). The view onto the meadows, alps and hiking trails were breath taking. The hotel could use some updating of their facilities, but our family of four with kids age 9 and 6 were welcomed and fully enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elainsf
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Finding a reasonably priced hotel in this area is difficult, but we picked this one and would say it is dated, but clean and the owners are very hospitable. Our room was very basic, and could use some new carpet, furniture, and a flat-screen TV, but it had a wireless hotspot and it was just fine. It has a great view and a huge pasture behind it, which is very peaceful. This is not the Ritz, so just understand this a hotel that just needs a cash infusion to get it more acceptable to picky and pampered Americans. But the REAL reason to stay here is the restaurant which is attached, but not part of the hotel. We decided to give it a shot at the recommendation of the hotel owner, and we were VERY pleased. The food quality and portions were excellent. Language was a small problem but we got by without issue. They only take cash, but that was no problem.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view of the castle if you are staying more than one day.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hawkeye1973
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was a nice, family-run hotel within walking distance of the castle (just a few minutes' walk). The room was light and airy, and very clean. Unlike what a couple of people said, we did not smell manure. It was very quiet and peaceful, and the breakfast was decent, if not huge. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the castle. We had one in the back, and could see the castle from the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greenwood village
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Despite good ratings and a great location for visiting the castles we were very unimpressed with this hotel. The common areas smelled of stale cigarette smoke and the bathroom of one of our rooms was unusable due to odor. Our greeting was cold and the breakfast was very mediocre at best. I had a problem with the toaster and the staff looked at me like I was an idiot. I am sure there are better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hohenschwangau
Hotel Mueller
#2 of 16 in Schwangau
Hotel Helmerhof
Hotel Helmerhof
#4 of 16 in Schwangau

Been to Alpenhotel Allgaeu? Share your experiences!