“Close proximity to Neuschwanstein Castle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein

and 1 more site!
Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hohenschwangau
“Close proximity to Neuschwanstein Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

When I read the information about this B&B, I had no idea that we would literally be a few steps from the Castle entrance!!! I was so pleasantly surprised to see that we could have the castle all to ourselves at night to meander around the perimeter of its majestic towers at night. I must confess that I was thrilled to see that we had vehicle access to the hotel, which made the climb uphill much more enjoyable (smile). We only stayed one night, so only partook of breakfast, but it was a nice spread in a continental style. The drinks were a little on the pricey side - coffee's were expensive, but the view and access to the castle made it all worth while. We stayed in a family room with our 2 daughters, and the accommodations were comfortable and clean. The only negative for us is that we arrived at 5:30pm on our arrival date, and were told that the restaurant was already closed for the evening. Thankfully, we packed enough "snacks" to hold us over until morning. You receive a 10% discount on castle ticket prices when staying at this hotel, but have to go back downhill to the ticket offices in town to get them. You'll have to judge if you'd rather have tickets in hand before you arrive at the hotel or save a bit on admission prices with an extra trip downhill on the morning of your tour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Quzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stollhof, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Location is the great benefit, this is the only place to my knowledge which allows you to use private road up the hill, so you are only few steps away fron Neuschwanstein castle. The price (we paid 65Euros for a room) is absolutely justified for the level of service and cleanliness of the room you receive. yes, it is with shared bathroom, but it is clean and nice, so I would strongly recommend to use this place instead of more expensive options available in Hochenschwangau and Fussen

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikerM81
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was on a bus tour to see Neuschwanstein. I was trying to see some other sights and I walk really fast. Unfortunately, Marie's Bridge was closed due to icy conditions, so I ended up at the Castle way too early, so I walked back down here to grab a bite and a couple beers. Average service, good food, good beer, decent prices. Very close to the castle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank StephenMP
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Fantastic location if visiting the castle.
The staff were brilliant; they upgraded us to the best suite free of charge.
The hotel was very clean and had spacious rooms. The breakfast was very good.

Would only recommend for one or two nights if going to the castle, the trek up the hill is very tiring!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Beck T
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant was in the ideal location for those walking up the steep climb to Neuschwanstein castle. I found myself on this very climb in early December 2012, pushing a baby buggy uphill, in the snow, for about 45 minutes. I rounded the corner as I was getting closer and closer to the castle and more tired and smelled and saw an outdoor grill which was cooking "snow balls", little warm pastries that were perfect to counteract the cold and snow. This is where everyone was stopping on the way up or down. It is a good place to have a couple of drinks also before jumping back into the snow.

This provided a great break at what seemed like a never ending climb and also a decent dinner after leaving the castle on the way back down.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MSL_Dub
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We arrived very late, due to traffic issues. I'd called ahead, and reception gave me a key code for the box that would hold our key. She said if we had any problems, to press the buzzer and their night staff would answer immediately.

We seemed to have better luck with the staff than others have had. We found them to be very patient and accomodating - and we were travelling with a three-year-old and a four-month-old baby. We were NOT easy guests. We arrived the day prior, and were so jet-lagged that we overslept. The staff very graciously kept the breakfast buffet open for us. When my son had a fit that he wanted apple juice, not orange juice, the waiter very considerately asked my husband quietly if he wanted to order apple juice - we did have to pay extra for it, but I appreciated that he did not broadcast to my son that it was available, without asking us on the side, first! The room was the last one available, and was quite small, but very clean. We did have to share a bathroom with other rooms, but never found it to be a problem. Being that the hotel is so close to the castle, we expected the price to be ridiculous, but it was more than reasonable, in our opinion. (And, they had the most delicious Italian-style thick hot chocolate, which is a plus in my book!)

Overall, great staff, a gorgeous little hotel with a fantastic history (it was evidently first built as a canteen for the people working on the castle), delicious food, and a fantastic location. We plan on going back, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone. (It is NOT accessible to anyone in a wheelchair, however)

Room Tip: We'd advocate trying to get one of the ensuites - they looked to be a bit larger than the one we...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel could be so great. The location is terrific, the rooms are quaint. The hotel is very pretty and the food was good. But the staff was by far the most rude of our entire 11 day trip. The man who checked us in actually rolled his eyes when he saw us sitting in the restaurant (my son saw him do this and thought it was funny.) Then the room was cold and I asked the manager how to turn on the radiators. He was very nice, came in and supposedly turned them on, but they never came on. Then all the staff left after about 7 pm. It was very weird being in a hotel with no staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you get there before 6 pm. There is no staff there later.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank brumbysport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hohenschwangau
Hotel Villa Ludwig
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,514 reviews
Hotel Waldmann
Hotel Waldmann
#4 of 16 in Schwangau

Been to Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein? Share your experiences!