“Fantastic”

Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hohenschwangau
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Fantastic location if visiting the castle.
The staff were brilliant; they upgraded us to the best suite free of charge.
The hotel was very clean and had spacious rooms. The breakfast was very good.

Would only recommend for one or two nights if going to the castle, the trek up the hill is very tiring!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beck T

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant was in the ideal location for those walking up the steep climb to Neuschwanstein castle. I found myself on this very climb in early December 2012, pushing a baby buggy uphill, in the snow, for about 45 minutes. I rounded the corner as I was getting closer and closer to the castle and more tired and smelled and saw an outdoor grill which was cooking "snow balls", little warm pastries that were perfect to counteract the cold and snow. This is where everyone was stopping on the way up or down. It is a good place to have a couple of drinks also before jumping back into the snow.

This provided a great break at what seemed like a never ending climb and also a decent dinner after leaving the castle on the way back down.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MSL_Dub
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We arrived very late, due to traffic issues. I'd called ahead, and reception gave me a key code for the box that would hold our key. She said if we had any problems, to press the buzzer and their night staff would answer immediately.

We seemed to have better luck with the staff than others have had. We found them to be very patient and accomodating - and we were travelling with a three-year-old and a four-month-old baby. We were NOT easy guests. We arrived the day prior, and were so jet-lagged that we overslept. The staff very graciously kept the breakfast buffet open for us. When my son had a fit that he wanted apple juice, not orange juice, the waiter very considerately asked my husband quietly if he wanted to order apple juice - we did have to pay extra for it, but I appreciated that he did not broadcast to my son that it was available, without asking us on the side, first! The room was the last one available, and was quite small, but very clean. We did have to share a bathroom with other rooms, but never found it to be a problem. Being that the hotel is so close to the castle, we expected the price to be ridiculous, but it was more than reasonable, in our opinion. (And, they had the most delicious Italian-style thick hot chocolate, which is a plus in my book!)

Overall, great staff, a gorgeous little hotel with a fantastic history (it was evidently first built as a canteen for the people working on the castle), delicious food, and a fantastic location. We plan on going back, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone. (It is NOT accessible to anyone in a wheelchair, however)

Room Tip: We'd advocate trying to get one of the ensuites - they looked to be a bit larger than the one we...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel could be so great. The location is terrific, the rooms are quaint. The hotel is very pretty and the food was good. But the staff was by far the most rude of our entire 11 day trip. The man who checked us in actually rolled his eyes when he saw us sitting in the restaurant (my son saw him do this and thought it was funny.) Then the room was cold and I asked the manager how to turn on the radiators. He was very nice, came in and supposedly turned them on, but they never came on. Then all the staff left after about 7 pm. It was very weird being in a hotel with no staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you get there before 6 pm. There is no staff there later.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank brumbysport
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had stayed at the Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein about 20 years ago and I knew it was a really budget hotel, but the location for visiting the castle can't be beat. So I prepared my family for a not so comfortable sleeping experience.
What a surprise to find a very upgraded comfortable hotel! The new management has done a great job improving the ambiance and comfort of this hotel!
We arrived very late at night and rang the bell (there is no front desk). The night clerk instructed us to where the key was and we let ourselves in.
My husband and I had a ensuite room and our children had rooms with shared bathrooms. All room were very spacious and clean. The staff was very attentive and breakfast was very good.
My children are runners and they enjoyed running up and down the hill, but I preferred the short walk to the castle and also avoiding the horse droppings lower down on the road!
It is necessary to have a car to stay at this hotel as it is a little isolated from the town.
The best views of the castle are from this hotel! Especially at night!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the side of the castle for great night views!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cynosure50
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We booked a one night stay at Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein for my birthday. Although the room was comfortable the overall attitude of the staff was disappointing. We were well in time for dinner as we were told the restaurant closes at 6. The staff rushed the meal and did everything to get us out as soon as possible. I seemed that they planned their own party as we could hear them long after we retired to our room. The staff was not the only thing keeping us awake. The huge lights lighting up the castle were just outside our bedroom. Perhaps better curtaining will be a good idea.The location is great; it is a pity the service does not match it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at around 11pm , well atleast it said it was a hotel. There is no lobby, no reception and everything was dark when we came. After about 10 minutes of wondering if we were in the right place I knocked on the back door and apparently roused someone from drunk sleep. He gave me a key and gave directions to our room. To say the room was small, I can't but it was old, musty, damp and just looked dirty. The 19" TV seemed to work, so I spent most of the night watching while my wife tried to get herself to lie on the bed. When morning came, and the view came into focus, it almost made up for the room. The castle is right in front of you, around is just forest. It was like a scene out of a fairy tale. The breakfast was ok, but the real food that the restaurant seved was delicious. If you want to be close to the castle (literally a 3 minute walk) and don't mind where you sleep this place is ideal.

Room Tip: This one is tricky, just get there early enough so thjat you can pick and choose a room for your lik...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oleg1968
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hohenschwangau
Hotel Villa Ludwig
#1 of 16 in Schwangau
Hotel Hirsch
Hotel Hirsch
#4 of 41 in Fussen

Been to Schlossrestaurant Neuschwanstein? Share your experiences!