“Beautiful castle and what a hike!”

Neuschwanstein Castle
Neuschwanstein Castle Skip-the-Line Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Yet another of the eccentric King Ludwig II's magnificently odd architectural creations.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Neuschwanstein Castle is indeed one of the most spectacular intact castles I have ever seen and visited in Europe. It is a must see. It will take the entire day to get to and visit the castle from Munich; a great day trip!

We started our visit by taking the long, very steep, very difficult walk up to the castle. If you are handicap, need assistance walking, unhealthy, out of shape, or just don't like walking up steep, long hills, then this walking trek is not for you, instead, opt for the horse carriage that takes you up to the castle and pay the $6 euros (2013); it will save you, your family and vacation! The horse carriage takes you nearly to the top, leaving you with only 100 feet or so to the top. There is a fee to get into the castle. I opted not to go into the castle as I have been and seen several castles and after you have been to one, in my case several, you have seen them all. Savings: You can buy a castle discount ticket that covers both King Ludwig's castles.

On the way back down, we stopped at the restaurant 1/4 of the way down. Awesome restaurant! Lots of food choices that can be accompanied by their splendid gluhwein or an awesome German beer. Lots of places to shop at the bottom of the hill. Suggestion: Do your shopping after you climb or ride up to the top so you don't have to carry your newly purchased fun items.

If time permits, be sure not to miss the quaint, sweet, little town of Oberammergau and do some shopping away from the "tourist" shopping places. Walk into town, that is where you will find the best shopping and food.

Write a ReviewReviews (14,383)

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I visited Neuschwansteinstrasse in 2009 and it's taken me this long to visit.

I went here for a day trip When I was at Oktoberfest in Munich. This really is an amazing castle with spectacular views on the way up looking at the castle and from the castle looking out at Bavaria. There is a really nice waterfall you'll get to see when you up there which if my memory serves me correct is behind the castle. I heard there is a lake somewhere around the Castle in which you can swim in during the summer month's. Not sure if this is true though. I walked up and it was quite a walk from the bottom of the Hill

A little History. This is the Castle that Disney got it's inspiration from for their castle, which you can see why. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as a homage to Richard Wagner. Ludwig paid for the palace out of his personal fortune and by means of extensive borrowing, rather than Bavarian public funds. I don't think he ever got it finished.

I will post photo's at a later date and unique ones as when I was there, they were making repairs so there's scaffolding in my Pictures. Please do visit, it really is worth while

1  Thank Mateusz19
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We really enjoyed our guided tour of the castle. I would highly recommend the English tour (not sure why we can not take a photo inside?).

Upon completion, we went to the store on the 2nd floor. On our tickets it said if you buy 20 Euro worth of items, you get a stamped post card for free. I bought 47 Euro of items. I asked the clerk about the post card that I wanted to give to my young children. She told me I needed to go the store below for that. I asked further and she had a stack of postcards next to register and gave me one (obviously with the stack of cards many people ask about the post card mentioned on the ticket). I asked since I spent 47 Euro if I could have a second card for my second child. The clerk rolled her eyes at me, the other German clerk spoke in German and they both had a condescending laugh and I was told how cheap I was. I thanked the clerk for the post card and asked to see a manager about the rude treatment. She rolled her eyes again and gave me a second card. I went back to where I bought the tour tickets to file a complaint since she lectured me about asking for a card when I could pay .60 Euro and not bother her. The man was very nice and apologized. I let him know that this was the rudest I have been treated in a store anywhere in the world that I have traveled. I left my number and name for the store manager to call back but no one did this week. Treating customers with respect and following up on a complaint is obviously not very important to this store. I would recommend NOT shopping at this first store. Go to the store on the bottom floor instead (after the kitchen). I bought another item there and was not treated rudely. I have been stationed around the world and this was a very disappointing experience to be lectured by a store clerk on being cheap after spending 47 Euro on items in the store??

4  Thank john v
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We spent the day hiking from the base of the mountain up to King Ludwig II's fairytale castle and around to the well known picturesque sight.
The castle itself is architecturally stunning on the outside and on the inside it was just as gorgeous. The tour was basic but sufficient, the tour guide (her name escapes me) was friendly and full of entertaining facts.
Once you've finished appreciating Neuschwanstein Castle, take a stroll down to the cafe/restaurant and eat lunch by the Swan Lake. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Lakshami
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The experience was extraordinary…Is like living a fantasy story of Disney, and as a matter of fact it is, because this castle was the inspiration for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty. You have to take horse carriage to get to the castle, or a 15 minute walk, uphill. The most adventurous can walk, uphill again, to a bridge over a marvelous water fall.