“Not a HOTEL but GUESTHOUSE”
Review of Hotel Kral

Hotel Kral
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Erlangen
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not a HOTEL but GUESTHOUSE”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

As world traveler, I am surprised to see al these glory reports about this hotel,
it is not a htotel but a GUESTHOUSE in my opinion.

GUESTHOUSES in South Africa or Australia are run much much better, in my humble opinion, which is another topic !!!

These glorfying reports mislead me to think that it is an excellent place in Erlangen to stay and I asked my hosts to book this hotel.

Arriving from Paris and after Hotel Marriott in Paris, the hotel was an incredible disappointment as the door was locked and I had to wait 10 minutes that somebody opened the door finally.

That somebody looked more like a temporary worker than a front desk clerk. No professional outlook and no training at all. This supposed to be a 4 star hotel. It reminded of the very cheap motels on the US highways that we see in the movies. She was one of those front desk people.

Anyhow I asked her friendly that I hope I will receive a nice room as it was promised to my host in the email. I was friendly but she later accused me that I was unfriendly even asking that question to get a nice room. How could I dare to ask for a nice room as all of their rooms are nice, she told me.

Anyhow I received a room with two beds put together although I had asked for a queen or king size bed (the Germans call it "French bed"); the furnitures in the room were brown and shabby. Overall the room was uninviting.

When I asked her for another room, she asked me for the reason. I had explained her that I was expecting a queen size bed. Then she kept argueing with me the whole time.
As result I left the place and did not stay there.

Maybe my expectations were high because I saw those glorifying reports but let us be honest, this place is nowhere a 4 stra place plus the staff is untrained (looked like temp worker) plus this is NOT a hotel but GASTHAUS or PENSION (as the Germans say) !!

Those who want to have a real hotel, please avoid this place!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank IANA940
Mario K, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Kral, responded to this review, November 13, 2015
Thank you very much for your Kind and above all detailed evaluation for our Guesthouse Kral accross the street. If you will visit Erlangen again, I will take care of you personally. I know you are a friend of Mrs. Ögrük and it is a pleasure to up-grade you at your next stay to our Apartment Hotel Kral in the main Building with the original 4 stars free of charge. I am so sorry for this very bad start in the past. Many greetings from Erlangen. Mario Kral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Kayseri, Turkey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff is really helpful about everything. Every room you can find a weightier. And locker. These are not standart equipments in Erlangen. Rooms are clean but they are too small. You can rent a bike from hotel. They have their own bikes. More than 30. You can grill on garden. And they have a charge free washing machine . dryer , and iron. The breakfast is good.

But the prices are a little big expensive i think.

It is takes 5 min. walk to the Siemens Healtcare Training Center.

Room Tip: The rooms in main building are all small. The rooms in Guesthouse are bigger.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hayrettin K
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As recommended by my colleagues, this is my first stay at this hotel.

I have been to Erlangen 7th or 8th times over the last 2 years.
During my prior visits, I stayed at Bayerischer hof.

The staff here are as friendly as at Bayerischer hof.
Rooms are comparable but Kral at a better rate.
In comparison, both hotels provide a good variety of selections for breakfast.

There is only one thing, do remember to plan and let the hotel know if you needed to break in between your stay here.

I had actually booked to stay here for 2 weeks, from 1 Apr to 12 Apr, but upon realizing I needed to detour to another site over the weekend, i approached the hotel to check if I could check out on Friday and re-check in on Sunday evening but was denied by the hotel despite having requested for it 3days in advanced.

Anyway, overall this is a cozy hotel to stay in.

Room #53

Room Tip: choose a room with attached kitchen if you intend to do some cooking
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank hequah7022
Kosice
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My thoughts:
- as many other hotels in Erlangen, Kral sits on a busy street, ask for a room facing into the courtyard
- very good selection for breakfast
- free wifi
- single rooms are very small but clean
- bathroom bigger than usual

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Palino007
Sg
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ask for the penthouse room, on the newer building. The breakfast was good and hearty, with great coffee to perk u up for the day. Well located for work if you work for siemens.
City centre is still a tad far by foot.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank sharonsoon
Bucks
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I've stayed in a number of hotels on business in Erlganen, but this was my first time at Hotel Kral...how I wished I'd known about it sooner!
Arrived just before midnight on a Sunday (had emailed in advance to let them know of my late arrival after reading the review below) and was warmly greeted with no problems encountered.
My room was in the newer annex at the back of the hotel - rooms were a good size, plasma TV screens, well-appointed shower room which always had plenty of hot water. Rooms were super quiet with electric blinds to block out street lights. My room also had a kitchenette (not sure whether they are all like this?) which is a nice facility if you are away for a while and don't fancy going out to eat all the time. Big supermarket is under 10 mins walk away.
Location is great - at the top of town so nearly everything is within walking distance or a very short taxi ride. Nuremberg airport is about 20-25 mins away by taxi (usually around 30 euros or so).
Breakfast was super - quality and choice was top notch.
Hotel Kral will now always be my first port of call when next in Erlangen.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
11 Thank SpeedDemonS
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Arrived late on a Sunday evening to be greeted by the receptionist leaving for the night!!!

Not good......but got worse when I was informed that I wasn't expected as no further arrivals were due.

After some checking and a couple of calls the receptionist admitted that an error on their part had meant my booking had not been made in their records (thankfully I had my copy of the booking info with me!)

I had booked an apartment but was instead given a single room. for only one night as the hotel was fully booked and I was advised ( to be on the safe side) to investigate the possibilty of alternative accomodation.

Spoke with the manager the following morning who was apologetic and reassured me that I would not have to move. And that I would receive a discounted rate for my stay, although as my room type had been downgraded this was expected!

Aside from this the hotel was excellent, lovely breakfast and very clean. English tv in all rooms and an excellent location.

There is no lunch or evening food available but the central location is ideal for either end of Erlangen's town and restaurants.

Despite the sticky start, I would recommend the Kral and would happily stay again.

• Stayed December 2011