“2nd time less impressed, but still ok”
Review of Grosch Hotel

Grosch Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Coburg
Avon, CT
“2nd time less impressed, but still ok”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This time I had a room in the front of the hotel and the street noise was pretty loud. In the summer with the window open (no A/C, I guess....no thermostat in rooms) at night, it would be problematic. They supply ear plugs on the nightstand, so I guess that's a clue.

turns out the room I had last time....317, I think, was the only one in the house with a bathtub. Bummer as I was looking to soak out the 8 hours of driving I did that day.

Rooms are clean, but beginning to show a little wear with bumps, rubs, smudges. Bathroom is spotless and very nice with radiant heat in the floor. Big shower with great water pressure. Large beds are the kind where 2 mattresses are jammed together...so, you cant take advantage of all the room as a single sleeper.

Restaurant confirmed the less than friendly impression I had last time. Same waitress, I think. Food was really good, though. And the beer is good....had the Fuhrmannstrunk and the Bock this time.

No wireless internet....only wired. 2E per day

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Monaco
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel annex was built in 2011. Bathroom well equipped, room well laid out, beds comfortable.

Breakfast buffet had a good selection.

The hotel is very close to a surburban railway track, and railway crossing. A bell rings before the crossing closes, but it's a pleasnt clang a bit like a cow bell. It did not bother us, but might bother others

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EuroDriverMonaco
Avon, CT
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here at the suggestion of a local colleague with whom I was meeting. Frankly as soon as he said Brewery/Hotel, I was in, lol.

Located on the edge of town in Roedental, it had a country feel, but Roedental is a sizable town. As Netmogul said, as you enter town from the A-bahn and see the hotel, continue past it and around the side and enter a driveway on your right just before the rail tracks. Park here and enter the building. Finding reception was a little odd (again, See Netmogul's review), but once found, reception was friendly.

There are two buildings, one containing rooms and meeting rooms (adjoining the back parking)and the other the restaurant/brewery. there may be more rooms in that building, but I am not sure. I'd echo a lot of NetMogul's comments other than the accessibility comment. The back wing of the complex, where the breakfast is served, is where I stayed and there was elevator access to all the floors and a ramp up to the front door. the issue was that the parking area and the area just in front of the doors is dirt/gravel, so not conducive to a wheelchair or walker, lets say.

My room faced the train tracks in the back of the hotel. it is a commuter rail line with regular service (hourly? and more, I lost track of how late it ran, but it started up again pretty early. With the windows closed it was a lot less noticeable, but might be a problem for some.

No wireless internet...get a cable at the front desk for 2E.

The room I had was quite large. Big double bed, large work area. Small fridge with Grosch beers and soft drinks. A sitting area. Some fruit on the coffee table. Large bathroom with a tub, seperate shower. Entry area with luggage area, clothes rod. Iron available from reception.

Breakfast buffet was very good.

We were there early in the day, so I set down in the restaurant/bar with a couple of beers...the Hochzeitsbier (excellent), the Prinz-Albert Pils (meh...not for me, very metallic taste)...and did my call reports.

We went back later for dinner. I had the Anno 1492 beer (fantastic) and the Fuhrmannstrunk (quite good). Asaparagus cremesuppe was fantastic, and the pork was excellent. Only comment I have in contrary to NetMogul is that I found the help in the bar/restaurant to be quite unfriendly. Look, German waitstaff are brusque at the best of times (compared the overacting of "friendly" American waitstaff), but all but one of the young ladies made me feel like I was putting them out with my presence....and at dinner I was with a local.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank biztrav123
North Carolina, USA
Reviewed May 8, 2007

This is a wonderful, traditional hotel in Bavaria (near Coburg) and this was my second stay. Previously I stayed in 2005, and both stays were a week in length and for business.

I booked my stay through the hotel's website.

The Grosch is a brewery (since 1492), a restaurant, and a 19-room hotel. The rooms I've seen have a sitting area, tv, radio, minibar, fresh apples, shower, vanity mirror, shoe shine kit, telephone, etc. Very spacious. An iron is available at the front desk, and I think I saw a pants press in the hallway. The room I had in 2005 overlooked the biergarten / courtyard. Breakfast is included.

I liked the restaurant and ate there as time allowed. The service is quite fast for Germany with a good selection of food, seasonal and daily specials, English menus available, and -- of course -- great beer! They have been brewing since 1492. Try their wheat beer or the Fuhrmannstrunk. A new beer, Luthertrunk, is also available. Sitting in the biergarten, reading a book with asparagus and pork medallions while sipping a fresh, tall beer brewed 10 meters away is a wonderful experience in the spring or summer.

The price is economical and it's easy to fall in love with this historical hotel. If you're near Coburg or in town for the Samba festival or business, I highly recommend it!! Next time I am there on business, I will stay here once again.

Tip: The staff is very friendly and helpful. Many speak English, but it is still helpful to know some German in this part of the country. My German is limited to a few words and phrases, and I got by a-okay. Just be patient and polite, please!

Tip: Guests should park behind the hotel (across from the train station) and enter through the rear door labelled rezeption. You'll emerge in the biergarten. Take a right, walk through the door, and the reception desk is on the right.

Tip: This is a historical hotel so you should know that it is not handicap accessible. The access to the guest rooms is by the stairs, and even the lobby has stairs up. If you need an accessible room, try the Mercure in Coburg. They have modern, accessible rooms.

Tip: If you want a traditional brotzeit (bread time) after work meal (beer, bread, cheese, sausage, meat, etc), there's a biergarten behind the hotel, across the train tracks, and beside the church. This is traditional, inexpensive and has many options. Grosch beer, of course, is also available here!

• Liked — Traditional Bavarian establishment with great food & beer brewed on-site
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Netmogul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coburg
Best Western Blankenburg Hotel
Schloss Hohenstein
Schloss Hohenstein
#7 of 13 in Coburg
Alte Muhle - Hotel und Restaurant

Been to Grosch Hotel? Share your experiences!