“Gasthof Zum Rassen met all our expectations”
Review of Gasthof zum Rassen

Gasthof zum Rassen
MALTA
“Gasthof Zum Rassen met all our expectations”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We can say straight forward that the Hotel Zum Rassen met all our expectations. It is close to all amenities and very centrally positioned -also favourable location to visit nice and interesting places in Germany as well as in Austria which is very near as well. First we think that it is of a very good value for money. Our room which also had an excellent view of Zugspitz mountain, was big and always well cleaned. The breakfast is most varied and also abundant. Although we were on Bed and Breakfast basis, whenever in the evening we made use of the hotel's restaurant, which is kept open until late, the food was very good and again, of a good value for money. Regarding all the staff and the hotel director, we can say only good words and they are all most keen to make you welcome and give you that most appreciated personal attention.
Also, just behind the hotel there is a public parking which one can make use of by paying a small daily fee. However, we never made use of it because we always managed to park in the nearby streets even though it was August which is the peak month of tourists in summer.
In a few words, our stay at Gasthof zum Rassen was an excellent one and we undoubtedly are in a position to recommend anybody staying at Garmish Partenkirchen to book his accomodation in this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a breathtaking view of the Zugspitze mountain.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Loved our visit to this beautiful location - very friendly staff and excellent food! Easy walking distance to the surrounding areas. Needed a hair dryer and the staff was ready to accommodate. Internet not readily available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

From booking our holiday to our departure we were made to feel wanted and appreciated. The whole experience of a traditional German Gasthof and the culinary specialties they provided was an enjoyable memorable experience. The staff had excellent local knowledge and were able to give advice on our itinerary and local interest areas.
We will most certainly be returning to Gasthof Zum Rassen.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stumbled upon Gasthof zum Rassen by chance, trying to find a room when town was completely packed. It's a wonderful old (650+ years) building with modern, spacious rooms. Most of all, though, it's in a charming location on Ludwigstrasse in Partenkirchen.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a reasonably large little city with many hotels in bustling commercial areas. Ludwigstrasse is very convenient (10 minute to bahnhof) and a pleasant, quiet change from being on a major street.

My room was large and spacious - extremely functional - with very basic decoration. Beds were great and it's super, super quiet with large, thick walls.

The restaurant was great. The breakfast buffet was voluminous and very good. The restaurant is very popular for dinner.

I especially enjoyed meeting and talking with the owner Herr Ecker about the history of the building and the area.

FYI, theoretically they do have Internet but I was not able to get online. Do check that if it's important to you.

Enjoy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I reserved a night's accomodation in this hotel months in advance. I received an e-mail re-confirming my reservation. A few days before my trip, I e-mailed again just to be sure enquiring if everything was still in order, but I had no reply. On arrival, I was greeted by harassed, tired-looking staff who finally informed me there was no record of my reservation. I was put on the phone to the proprietor who successively told me that (a) he had never received my reservation, (b) that, even if he had, I had got the date wrong and (c) it was my fault as I had failed to re-re-confirm his re-confirmation. This was all contrary to the paper copy of the e-mail in my hand. It was quite obvious that, if the thought had occurred to him to tell me that a passing bear had eaten my reservation, he would have done so.

I thought this was all completely unprofessional and dishonest and dislike being lied to in an attempt to fob me off and make me go away. I was referred to a nearby hotel and the proprietor told me this was a not uncommon experience as far as the Gasthof zum Rassen is concerned..

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank AlaricUk

Travelers are raving about these Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for three nights over the New Year and found it very disapointing considering the rate. I booked this via an accommodation site and we paid a hefty price. Although I knew what I was paying (eur 584 for three nights), I was very disappointed to arrive and discover that the hotel was nothing special at all.

The room that we were in had evidence of a previous break-in, no safe, no fridge, no tea/coffee facilities and contained damaged, cheap furniture. We were disturbed late one night when staff wanted to move extra beds that were in our room. Bathroom supplies were not updated at all during our stay. Breakfast was so-so. Parking was an extra charge in a council car park. There was an additional charge to pay if you used a credit card. The hotel was quite dated and had no special facilities like sauna, parking that you may expect for such a price.

I challenged the manager over the rate (especially New Years Eve) but no viable explanation was given. I committed to the booking and had to stick with that. Having travelled a lot across Germany / Austria, we found a number of places for eur100 a night that were much better than this hotel.

On the positive side, the location of the hotel is fantastic and the city is superb to visit. We merely felt let down having to spend so much and receive so little.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M_ALondon
dublin
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Stayed at Gasthof Rassen for one night had booked and received confirmation by e-mail for one double attic room costing 29 euro each. We arrived around 5pm and were given a room which was not in the attic, we did not query it as we were rushing to get to the tourist information office before it closed as there were no brochures, maps etc available at the hotel. We were told we could check out in the mornig around 11 or 12. After breakfast we went for a walk and arrived back at 10.20 to check out only to be greeted by a very unhappy member of staff who said she should have finished work at 10 and had to remain behind unpaid until we checked out. She then told us we would have to pay 80 euro for the room, when I produced the e-mail she said she didnt read English and would have to phone the manager who was on his day off. She also said this place is always like this. Eventually we agreed to pay 70 euro as the room was very spacious . They had also replied to my e-mail enquiring if parking was available but they did not tell me it costs 5 eu per day in the municipal car park which is not directly behind the hotel as I was led to believe. For these reasons I would not return to this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — being overcharged
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple