“Great Resort but Lacks Local Flavor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Reviewed July 14, 2007

The Edelweiss lodge is a terrific resort that has great service and a great overall facility. The food was fairly good but seemed a little pricey but military members can cross the street and eat at the Subway restaurant or buy something at the commissary. The rooms were spacious and clean and for the price they were definitely the most modern that we have stayed in in Europe. The resort offers plenty of tours and the staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. The views are very nice and the resort is located within walking distance of cable-car lifts that ferry people up to hiking and sightseeing points in the Alps. Of course, the town of Garmisch is a wonderful place to visit but since there is so much to see that lies within an hour or two from the resort we felt compelled to travel a lot and were quite exhausted some days. However, Garmisch offers enough attractions within a 20 minute range to satisfy almost all travelers for weeks. The only thing that really detracted from the experience was the resort's lack of local flavor, character, and coziness. The pool, sauna area, hot tub, and most of the bottom floor areas were packed with running and screaming children which became annoying. The resort is also fairly large and thus the common areas can become a little hectic. The resort is set off a little from the local scene as it is coldly located behind the wall and security entry point of an American military base. I couldn't help noticing the warmth, charm and atmosphere of the charming local guest houses, cafes, and their beer gardens that were much better integrated into the natural settings. I checked prices around the area and some places were priced less than the Edelweiss Resort and offered quieter, more intimate bungalows. I will probably vacation in Garmisch again but I really missed the charm of staying in an authentic local hotel and will not stay in the Edelweiss Resort. Overall, I had a great time and was very impressed with the resort. However, I felt that my family and I really were isolated from real Germany and that the atmosphere was more Disney then Bavaria. Many Americans though will absolutely be delighted at the conveniences, quality, and predictable accommodations that this resort provides.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank RodgerJ

Reviewed June 25, 2007

This resort is for military families and govt employees with ID cards. It is just around the corner from a military commissary and PX and gas station. It is gated with security guards and with underground parking which is included with the fees of your room. Very clean luxury type hotel, great place for families, indoor pool is really designed for kids, not very deep. Outside hottub is biggest I have ever seen and very clean, lovely views of mtns all around. Buffet style restaurant pretty good. Friendly resort staff. Within 1-2 hrs drive from places you want to visit. Highly recommend, but book early! The only down fall was it is suppose to be a non smoking resort however they seem to allow smoking on balconies (ea rm has a balcony which allows smoke to enter into your room if door type window is open which spoils it for everyone and smoking is almost encouraged with ashtrays on balcony tables!) This would be my only complaint about this place. Expect to pay over $76 on up a night at least for the standard room. Plan your sightseeing itinerary before you get there or you will be tempted to take their planned tours which might be more expensive then doing things yourself. Pack rain ponchos. Wear comfy walking shoes & bring a backpack for shopping & bottled waters! We would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank CafeAuthors
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We stayed here for 7 nights in June 2007 in conjunction with a conference my husband was attending. This was my first time at the Edelweiss although my husband has stayed here every summer since 2004.

The lodge is one of four Armed Forces Recreation Center vacation resorts maintained worldwide for the benefit of servicemembers. The Edelweiss is located inside a military compound. You have to show some form of ID (military or government) or your name has to be on a “list” as a guest when you pass through security. Whether you walk in or drive in by car, bike or bus, you have to stop at security and show ID. It’s like a taste of America in Germany.

The currency at the Edelweiss is the dollar and if you pay with euros, your change is in dollars; English is spoken throughout; all food served in the restaurants is fairly basic American fare; half the TV stations are in English. It was odd to be able to watch the Today show in Bavaria.

Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the circular driveway. Room was average American hotel size but felt larger because of the vaulted ceiling. We heard kids playing in the pool at certain times but it wasn’t too loud. We had ample closet space for the two of us. We had two queen beds but one of them had a dip in the center so I kept rolling to the middle. The other bed was okay.

We had a mini fridge to store drinks and snacks. Our coffeemaker didn’t work properly – it took 30 minutes to brew 4 cups so it was easier to walk to the lower level snack bar and get a Starbucks. We were missing an iron and had to put in a request twice before getting one.

The resort had no room service or laundry service. There was a laundry room on the lower level with 6 commercial washers and 9 dryers which all guests could use. The pool doesn’t have an “adults only” time so kids are always there and it gets pretty noisy. The huge hot tub is ‘adults only” from 8:30PM-10:30PM.

After reading the previous warnings about the food at the Marketplace, I didn’t have high expectations. It really was pretty bad. I had the continental breakfast buffet most mornings which is basically anything that isn’t sitting over a warming tray – yogurt, fruit, bread, cereal, juice, coffee and milk. It isn’t advertised so you have to tell the cashier you want only the continental buffet and they’ll charge you $4 instead of the $8 for the full buffet. I had lunch once. It consisted of two choices – pot roast (with gravy) and pasta (with creamed tomato sauce) along with a couple of veggies, bread, desserts and drinks. The only good thing about lunch was the gravy.

Pullman Place is a sit-down restaurant at the lodge. It’s closed Monday and Tuesday. It’s always very crowded at other times so better put your name on the list for dinner when they open at 5:30. We had dinner here once. The service was great but food was only average. My husband’s fish was overcooked and my duck breast was underdone and still bleeding.

The lodge is located in a beautiful area and you can’t beat the access to the Zugspitze. You can rent bikes and there are hiking trails on the other side of the wall. I like the area as a base for exploring the surrounding area.

It’s a 20 minute walk to the pedestrian zone of Garmisch. If you don’t have access to a car, you can either take a cab into town or do as I did and ride the bus. There’s a stop outside the security check and it takes you right into the pedestrian zone of Garmisch.

The lodge offers tours to many of the surrounding sites. We took two tours – the 3 Country Tour one day and then to Berchtesgaden/Eagle’s Nest the next. Each tour is $51 per person. The 3 Country Tour was a long day – 12 hours in a bus riding through Austria, Switzerland and Liechtestein. It gave us a taste of each country. We had great stops including a nice little restaurant in Switzerland for lunch.

The Berchtesgaden tour was also a long day as well and also very crowded. Our guide was quite efficient in taking us through the crowds to Eagle’s Nest. I think both tours were worth the cost.

I’ve traveled all over Germany and love this area of Bavaria. The lodge is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay but I won’t be staying here again when I come back next year. I like coming to Germany to soak up the culture, eat German food, practice my faulty German language and learn how to navigate around the German roads. If I wanted to live in a slice of America, I would’ve stayed home! Garmisch has many hotels and lots of wonderful restaurants outside the walls of the Edelweiss compound that are better suited to my traveling lifestyle.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
10  Thank MollyMick
Reviewed June 17, 2007

The staff was customer service oriented and the hotel was very clean and well maintained.
To sum up the Edelweiss, it is a perfect place to stay for a few days whilst exploring the local area.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roush1
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Wow! My wife and I only stopped in for 2 nights as we traveled around Germany. We wished we could have stayed longer and have already planned coming again next summer for a whole week. The resort is very nice and clean when you consider the very affordable price. Once inside you have no idea that this a military operated resort. The rooms were large and we had an awesome view of the mountains from our deck. The information on the tours is great with very detailed and easy to read directions (too many to choose from). We signed up for the Neuschwanstein Castle tour and had a great time, even though it was a rainy day. The resort is quite the trek by foot to get into Garmisch so it would have been nice if there was a shuttle available. However we did rent a couple of bicycles and rode into town on the day it was sunny (very cheap and only took 20 minutes to get to Garmisch). Also because of all the families, we would have liked to have had a more "adult" place in the resort to get away to. Base Camp was ok, but it was missing something and not much fun for being a bar, they need a jukebox or live music. Pullman's Place was the perfect getaway for a nice American type dinner, the wait staff was very professional. We cannot wait to come back!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nebtrek
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We had a great stay. My husband and I were excited to take this trip thinking it would be kinda low-key. Our trip ended up being jam-packed...but in a good way. There were many more fun activities in the area then we thought were available. Inside the hotel gift shop they have brochures of area attractions, directions, prices etc. And the staff had lots of ideas for trips and such for all budgets. One thing you can NOT miss is the Partnach Gorge. From the parking lot it is a good 10-15 minute hike to the entrance, so if you have small kids it may be easier to ride the horse drawn carriage they have running for a small fee. In fact you park at the old Olympic ski jump place, so just viewing that was fun. It was only 2 or 3 Euro admission and we kept saying how we would have paid much more for the experience. It is a neat walkway and tunnels that are carved from the stone on the side of the walls all along a rushing river. You can search more on the internet for it, and ask the hotel gift shop for directions. It is about a 5-7 minute drive from the hotel. There are also a ton of ski lifts in the area that offer rides to the top year round.
The hotel itself was nicer then we expected. The pool is indoors and kept at a nice warm temperature, and the outdoor hottub was definately a fun place to be especially at nightfall. There is no roomservice though:( The buffet was OK. Have had better. Pullman Place was GREAT! Filet mignon, jalepeno mashed potatoes (tasted better then it sounds) warm rolls, salads, yummy deserts. Make sure you make reservations. Definately worth it.
If you decide to make a visit to the Neuschwanstein Castle it was a very easy and shorter drive to cut through Austria. My husband was suppose to have his passport but didnt. There is no check point or anything, just dont get pulled over. It will cutout maybe 45 minutes of driving if you go that way. We got the directions from the front desk and they were very helpful with little tips and such.
The town around the hotel was fun to walk through, just remember its dead on Sundays. Tons of fun shops. You can find all the neat little things you would EXPECT to find in Germany that you probably wont find in other German towns such as coo-coo clocks. They also had some modern stores such as Espirit.
We are definately glad we made the trip.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HeatherMarie80
Reviewed March 19, 2007

What a wonderful resort! My children ages 18,9,5 and I stayed at Edelweiss the 1st weekend in Feb. We were very impressed with the whole resort and all it had to offer. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a double room and it was imacculate. It consited of x2 queen beds, a living area with a sofa bed, 1.5 bathrooms extra linen and pillows, fridge and a balcony with cafe table and chairs. It is a non smoking facility. It was very, very clean and roomy. We had enough room for all of us. If you have children between the ages of 5-12, I reccomend the "Kids night out" offered on Sat night from 5-8pm. My children were well taken care off. They are given dinner then transported to another facility were they offer lots of activites to keep them entertained. The pool was a great highlight. The hot tub is just as big as the pool. Children are allowed in the hot tub. Which makes it nice for you to enjoy it also. You do not have to worry about bringing down towels because the pool offers towels to use. There are 3 resturants with great pizza and lots of snacks. We did take advantage of the ski slopes and had a wonderful time. We will definately go back. I highly reccomend Edelweiss Resort for anyone who is looking to get away to a beautiful town and experience great service.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family