“Beautiful resort and surroundings, but not an authentic German experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edelweiss Lodge and Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Santa Fe, NM
“Beautiful resort and surroundings, but not an authentic German experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

My husband and I are both active duty and we stayed at Edelweiss for 4 nights in January. We arrived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen by train from Munich and took a short cab ride to the resort. The resort is in an absolutely breathtaking location, surrounded by the snow-capped Bavarian Alps. Edelweiss is very nice and decorated in a mountain lodge style with a two story lobby. They still had Christmas decorations up when we visited and it was very charming. Check-in was easy and we were very happy with our room--two very comfy queen beds, a nice bathroom, and a balcony overlooking the entryway to the resort. I highly recommend getting a room on the third floor if possible--vaulted ceilings and great mountain views.

Almost everyone who works at the resort is American--not a word of German is spoken here. If you stayed within the walls of the resort you would think you were still in America. The staff was all very friendly and made you feel welcome and the resort is kept very clean and well-maintained.

Also, the restaurants on site are pretty average and they don't even make an attempt to serve German food or give you any taste of the local culture. The first night we ate at Market Station, the buffet restaurant. The food was just average. We ate at the breakfast buffet the next morning and it was a typical American breakfast--a little too heavy for our taste. We ended up walking over to the nearby AAFES and commissary and picking up cereal, milk, and bananas and ate the rest of our breakfasts in our room. (Every room has a mini-fridge and a coffeemaker, which was great.) We ate two dinners in Zuggy's Base Camp, which is the sports bar type restaurant in the basement. The service was pretty spotty and the food, again, was just average. I highly recommend leaving the resort and getting a real taste of German food in Garmish.

We booked a tour to Neuschwanstein Caste through Alpine Adventures, the tour-booking desk located in the gift shop. I highly recommend the tour, it was fantastic! We also spent two days skiing, with one day of lessons through Hausberg Sports Lodge. I basically jumped in for one day on a ski week and it was a flat rate that included the full day lesson, lift ticket, and equipment rental--the price was extremely reasonable. I'm a beginner skier and the lesson was very helpful, but the ski school here is really pretty average--I've gotten much better instruction back in New Mexico where we live. But to get the chance to ski in the Bavarian Alps was awesome! The resort has what looked like a fantastic outdoor hot tub--I forgot to bring a swimsuit so we didn't get to take advantage of that which was very disappointing. It would have been great after a day of skiing!

One thing to note about the lodge is they charge an outrageous amount for internet access. For as much as you pay to stay here, internet access should be free. Who charges for internet anymore?! You even had to pay for wireless internet access in the lobby. Outrageous! Not that I want to spend all my time on the internet when I'm on vacation, but we did want to check email periodically. I ended up purchasing an hour of internet time for $4 at their business center.

I realize that this resort is mainly geared towards military families either on R&R or vacation, but throughout the evening you could hear kids running up and down the hallways screaming. This was a little obnoxious.

Overall, we really did have a wonderful time at Edelweiss. It was definitely not an authentic German experience at the resort, but we made sure we spent time in the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen to experience the local culture. What a wonderful Bavarian town! There's plenty to do here to keep you busy and entertained and we hope to return sometime during the spring/summertime.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank wanderlust817

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Baumholder, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

This resort is for military only but if you are going to be in this area and you know a service member they can sponsor you so you can stay there. It is the best place to stay in that area.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

I have read many reviews of this hotel. We went and had a fabulous time. But nothing compares to sitting in the hot tub outside in the evening when it is below freezing. There is steam all around you, Ickles form on your hair and your body is toasty warm. Best memory ever. The breakfast buffet is great and the views from the rooms are great.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

Edelweiss, comforts of America in the beauty of the Bavarian Alps...gorgeous setting, comfortable rooms, breakfast buffet with all the favorite American foods...tourist packages available. Highly recommend the drive from Edelweiss to nearby Neuschwanstein Castle, drive through Partenkirchen...take the tram to top of the Zugspitz...the most beautiful landscape there is! If you're there at Thanksgiving, be sure to partake of Thanksgiving dinner...the best buffet anywhere! (make reservations) Loved Edelweiss...made three trips there in two years. The drive to the location alone is definitely worth the trip!

Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank PattyM1
Saint Robert, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

I went to Edelweiss on a deployed spouses retreat w/ the 12th CAB. It was my first time at Edelweiss and I loved it. The view from my room was amazing even with all the fog! The food was amazing. They had a "themed" lunch and dinner every day at the buffet resturant.

Stayed December 2009
1 Thank Nessa20
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2009

Stunning vistas, lots to do and an amazing staff make for a great time away from home. Will definitely go back!

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AmberH7
Cincinnati
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2009

Although the hotel is settled in a beautiful location, it is over-priced, especially for the sub-standard service. The food was also very poor, as was the service in the restaurants.

Of course, I've contacted the management, but have yet to hear back, after several years of waiting to address my concerns.

• Stayed July 2006