“Big disappointment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I have been coming to this place for six years frequently. I have stayed in the Hotel, Cabin and the Campground. This time I decided to stay in the Rustic Cabin. As I checked in at 3pm I received a used unclean cabin. I went back to the hotel to ask them to get the cabin cleaned. After taking the kids to dinner and the pool we went back to the cabin just to see that it was vacuumed and the microwave was cleaned. The were still crumbs in the refrigerator and the beds were still dirty, the table had coffee stains on it as well. I asked my husband to call the hotel and ask them to send someone again so we could get a clean cabin. I was asked to come back to the hotel. I asked for the manager and she wrote down what I listed as still being dirty. I was told someone would be there in 45 min. The lady explained to me that they didn't know that I was a new guest and so the cabin had not been prepared for us. however it was too late to get it cleaned and I would have to wait til the morning to get the rest done after changing the sheets. By that time it was 10pm. We slept in a dirty cabin. The next morning we asked to get it taken care off and the manager who was on duty had no idea what had happened. After I asked if I was expected to pay full price she offered a discount of 50% for last night. On Thursday I wanted the sheets changed and asked if someone could vacuum the cabin since my son had spilled massive amounts of food (he got a hold of the bag). As I came back from sledding with the kids I saw a brush in front of my door. No clean sheets. I checked on the bath house as I wanted to shower the children but didn't want to shower them in a dirty one and the cleaning time said 2-3pm. the showers were filthy still. The water would run over the shower all over the floor because of hair stuck in every single shower. In the evening a very nice lady from the front desk came to get the showers cleaned as good as she could, she left me a vacuum to clean the cabin and left some clean sheets on the table, but by that time I was so tired of being here that I decided to leave this place early. I have never been so disappointed but I have seen service decline over the last few years. At breakfast quite a few glasses were dirty. The sled rental is almost twice as much as off post. Please do yourself a favor and find a different place to stay. Off post is cheaper, cleaner and friendlier. Also breakfast is included in your price.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank YSpiller
EdelweissResortGAP, Guest Relations Manager at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We are sorry we didn't meet your expectations even though you have visited us for over six years now. I am checking into our process with the cabins to ensure our vacation village guests get the same level of service and responsiveness that our Lodge guests experience. We hope you will give us another chance to prove we can provide quality service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Lockwood, California
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went here for a marriage retreat, and we had a great time. The area was fantastic, and the view from our room was great. We loved the pool, and we enjoyed the food. We ate at the buffet, and Zuggy's Base camp. We also loved that we could buy our tickets for the train up the mountain at the hotel, and that saved us a lot of hassle, Will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynsdeyblack11
Thanks for the review. Hopefully you will come stay with us again!
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I reviewed this hotel last Summer, after returning from a Military Retiree Tour, but Tripadvisor does not allow editing of past reviews. Additionally, Tripadvisor does not allow links to Youtube videos that it considers promotional. Since most folks considering one of the Retiree Tours will probably check this site, I am extending the offer of a free Youtube video that I produced of our trip. It was made primarily for our enjoyment, and sharing with friends, but I think it will answer a lot of questions for anyone considering one of the tours.....I certainly wish that I had access to something like this prior to our trip. The first Part is a little slow, but gives you an idea of what to expect of the hotel and Garmish area. Just send me a PM, and I will provide the Youtube links.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaChief
Thanks for your visit. Post your video on our facebook page if you get a chance. I am sure other retirees would benefit learning from your experience.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We took advantage of a wonderful Fall Weekend special rate to stay at the Edelweiss. We were really excited to come to this facility at an affordable price. Room problems: terribly worn and sagging mattresses on both beds; food stains on the wall surfaces; beer cans left in the wardrobe; bathroom sink stopper was broken; terrible lighting throughout the room. Buffet restaurant was expensive for what was offered; closed on Sunday without any prior notice; no sign at the entrance explaining the closure - just closed. When we asked at the Front Desk, it was handled in a flippant manner and we were directed to the sports bar downstairs. The Point coffee prices were out of sight! A Grande Americano was charged at $2.20 per shot, totaling $8.80; we're charged $4.00 for the same beverage at the Community Activity Center (another MWR facility) in Wiesbaden. Partnack Gorge Tour with Pete was awesome and the highlight of our trip. We'll stay elsewhere our next trip to Garmisch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chris10790
We are sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We strive to make the vacations affordable and memorable. I will relay your praise for Pete and the Partnach Gorge Tour. He is just one example of our extraordinary staff that really care about providing a great vacation experience. We hope you will give us another chance to prove we provide quality service to our deserving guests.
Hope Mills, North Carolina
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The experience was great from the moment we crossed the main gate. Check in was a breeze, the staff was very helpful on every question we had (and we had plenty). The view from our room was beautiful, and I think is similar from every room. The indoor pool was excellent and the outside jacuzzi was very refreshing after a day at the slopes. The service at the jacuzzi was quite fast for drinks, something that you don't see often.
The buffet was very good for breakfast...I will stay in this place again and again.

Room Tip: The best tip is to make a reservation with plenty of time..is not easy to get a room, specially duri...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LuisCruz
EdelweissResortGAP, Director of Sales at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Great review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again and again. The rooms really do have one of the best views in Germany.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The staff were fantastic. It was wonderful to go to Garmisch, and go shopping and walk around and talk to the people who live there! I bought gorgeous reading glasses there! (that is what "Girls" remember!) Great food and breathtaking veiws!!

Room Tip: sorry I did not use the room service but I clicked on it accidently and it wont let me take all the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank uffdabaybee
You forgot to mention your stay was wonderful?
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed January 3, 2014

If you are active duty or retired military, this is an excellent choice. The location, on the outskirts of Garmisch, is wonderful. It is walkable to the main shopping district. The rooms are spacious and some have great views of the mountains. The train station is a long walk, and a taxi is a good idea with luggage to get there. The resort has organized tours to nearby attractions that are reasonably priced and excellent. The restaurants in the resort are good, but the real joy is to experience the local German restaurants in town. There is a great Chocolate/Tea shop in Garmisch.

Room Tip: Try to get a larger room (suite) at the back of the hotel with a view of the Zugspitze.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank k2ands
Location, location, location. It is a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for visiting.