“Perfect for families”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
San Antonio
“Perfect for families”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Last October we were sitting in the sunshine in San Antonio with several of our neighbors talking about going on vacation. I threw out, "you know, there's a resort in Germany, I can see if we can get enough rooms for all of us..." and next thing you know, there's five families meeting up in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The resort made it so easy to plan for a large group. We downloaded the tour book in March and sat at our dining room table and picked the tours we wanted to do. (Castle- definitely, as the wait during high season is CRAZY), Lake Eibsee tour- not really a tour but a trip around the lake in a boat and time to either hang out lake side or go up the mountain for regular cost- if you have a car just go to the lake- it's a 15 minute drive) Everyone arrived within a day of each other and it was nice to have a break in the "if it's Tuesday it must be Berlin" schedule we were all sticking to otherwise. The buffet was fine- I don't know if it's worth the cost but if you have big eaters in your family then maybe. We stuck with the Starbucks downstairs for coffee and ate breakfast in the town. (with those bakeries walking distance away, go for it!) and usually ate lunch out. For dinner we ate at Zuggy's Base Camp most nights as we had 6 kids aged 5-10 with us and it was easy to feed them and let them play in the game room while we watched the Olympics and chatted. The resort is a nice walk from the train station- nice in the summer, I'd add. We cabbed it only because we were exhausted but several of our party walked to the train station the day they left. We walked into town every day and it's really not far at all, maybe a 15-20 minute walk. The resort rents bikes, too. The resort has laundry facilities that are well maintained. The kids LOVED the game room, the pool and the little kid movie section off the lobby. I want to mention by name Jennifer who works in the spa who fixed my feet with a mud bath, Rachelle in the Tours section who got us all organized and made sure every room was billed correctly for the tours and finally Cooper. Poor Cooper got stuck with us on the Lake Eibsee tour and then he accompanied us to the Zugspitze. They ended up closing down the gondolas due to weather and we all were put on the cog wheel train back down. It's hard to explain but suffice it to say that we (our group and others) were the last ones down. Cooper didn't once lose his cool. In fact, he made it fun! All in all, it was lovely. The rooms are spotless, and very comfortable. There isn't a bad view it seems from any room. I would love to be able to go back. Also, the military base with the commissary, post office and PX is right across the street from the back end of the resort (as is the bus stop to town) which is very convenient.

Room Tip: The view from the back side of the resort is gorgeous.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jloreine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Swanton, Vermont
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Visited our son who is US army based in Germany....he suggested we stay in Garmish at the Edeweiss Lodge for a few nights during our tour of Germany....we stayed an extra night....the resort in a great location-close to many places of interest. The scenery around you is breathtaking - truly "the hills are alive"! At the resort, there are tours, excellent pool and excersise gym, excellent food choices, game room, landry faciliy, etc. etc. Just so convienent and extremely clean. (US Dollars are the currency at the resort as well which is a nice change of pace). My family would all greatly recommend this resort as the "base" for your vacation.

Room Tip: choose a room further from the lobby for a quieter stay....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RiButton
EdelweissResortGAP, Manager at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We are glad you listened to your son! Thanks for your review.
Moro, Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Edelweiss Lodge is the perfect combination of a touch of home in the middle of Germany. The views are picture perfect. There are plenty of activities and wonderful restaurants in close proximity. The food in the Lodge is good if it is not feasible to leave the grounds. The gift shop has reasonable prices although only a small selection of clothing and souvenirs.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. This is the 3rd time I've stayed here and it has been consistently wonderful through the years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains, it is beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingFreeWoman
Thank you for your repeat visits. Over 1/3 of our guests are repeat visitors. Once just isn't enough to see and do everything here. Thanks for your review.
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had the awesome opportunity to stay at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. Words cannot describe what an incredible place this is! We had the Jr. Suite for 5 adults and had plenty of room (a full and half bath in the room). The views were spectacular!! The staff was friendly and helpful. Prices were reasonable. We took 3 organized tours that were great!!
My favorite memory for the week....we were treated to a fireworks show to celebrate the 4th that was set to music. I was overwhelmed with emotion standing with hundreds of service men and women and their families watching the spectacular fireworks and listening to American music favorites especially "God Bless America!"

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rls62
You said, "words can't describe how beautiful this place is!".....Well, we think you did a pretty good job with using words like "overwhelmed", "spectacular", "great", "friendly"...thanks for your review!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2012

In April my son who is in the USAF invited his dad and me to go with him to Germany, and we stayed at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, it was magical, the resort is beautiful, the view from my room was mesmerizing, the food and the tours, OMG, the best ever, I wish I was still there. It was a dream come true, I dream of the day I can go back. You will love it too.

Room Tip: We arrived by mistake to Munich airport and it was a long ride, so verify the closest airport.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nikki0917
EdelweissResortGAP, Manager at Edelweiss Lodge and Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
We are very happy you enjoyed your dream vacation and hope your dreams lead you back to Edelweiss Resort.
Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We as a military have it pretty darn good when it comes to our resorts. Havin stayed in all 4 AFRC resorts, the Edelweiss is tied with the Hale Koa in Hawaii. Spectacular location, comfort, food, tours and much more. Rooms were much bigger and comfortable than we thought. Nice pool and gym. Easy walk to bus stop and then short ride to the train station. We did our own scheduling and tours vice the lodges but that is because we already planned it. Only drawback I would state is there is no fan in the bathroom so it steams up when you take a shower. Buffet breakfast is great. Starbucks coffee as well. If your are active-duty you can go across to the other side of the Kaserne to the PX if you forgot anything. Great and relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank kellandrich
Thank you for choosing Edelweiss Resort to spend your well deserved R&R leave. We strive to ensure your two weeks leave from stressful deployments is an affordable and memorable one. Thank you for your service to the US Military.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here while he was on R&R from a combat deployment. We had been in Munich for a while but we wanted to check this place out. We had reservations in advance and had booked a few tours. Booking was easy. My boyfriend was able to take care of it all while he was deployed. Because I'm not military personnel, I had to submit my information early to get on the list to get on the resort. It wasn't hard to get in once we got there. I showed them my passport and since I was on the list, we got in with no problems. Our hotel room was big and very American style. The hotel itself was nice and had that alpine/Aspen ski lodge kind of feel. There are three restaurants on base. One is a buffet, the other is nicer dining, and then Zuggy's base camp is like a Chili's but with a smaller menu. My boyfriend was excited to eat good American food for a change so we ended up at Zuggy's a few nights in a row.

Our stay here overall was good. It was nice to watch some American TV and the food was actually pretty good. We rented a car and drove around for a bit which wasn't hard at all. I will admit that its probably more of a family place as there were a ton of kids, but we didn't really have a problem with it. The tours we went on were great and the tour guides were awesome. We plan to come back with his parents to ski in the winter time!

There's not a whole lot to do in the town. If you want some good Mexican food, go to Sausalito's. It was really just a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of all the sight seeing we were doing in Munich. The staff was great and our room was always clean. No problems.

Oh and did I mention that if you go there on R&R from a combat deployment, the rooms and your food are 40% off! We stayed there for 5 nights and drank every night and our total (rooms, food, alcohol, etc) was $700. Not too shabby!

Room Tip: For a couple, just the base room is fine. Pretty much every room has a great view. We stayed furthes...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DTDallas
We are so happy you choose Edelweiss for your R&R from combat deployment. That truly is why we are here, to give you all the much needed break you all deserve for defending our freedoms. We are glad that booking during deployment was easy for you and that your boyfriend enjoyed some good ole' American food. We look forward to your return visit for some skiing with the parents. Thanks again for your review.