“Great Italian food”
Review of Il Caminetto

Il Caminetto
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been to this restaurant a few times now....and their pizzas are amazing. The owner and wait staff always make you feel welcomed and the atmosphere is relaxing. Their house wine is awesome and goes with pretty much any dish on the menu. Will definitely be back there soon.

There are newer reviews for Il Caminetto

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have had a surprise reading the reviews for this restaurant as we ate here last week and the Spaghetti Puttanesca was the best I've eaten in a Pizzeria. The wine the waitress brought me to compliment my meal was a classy red wine - really good quality and in a huge glass. My husband had a steak which she offered with any accompaniments - she asked what he liked - from risotto, plain rice, veg, potatoes, salad pasta anything he preferred she could make.
The children had spag carbonara and a pizza which again, were really good quality.
I can understand how the waitress could come across as dour - I just think she was quite serious and with very little English. She chatted to us as best she could - we tried in Italian and in German which was fun, she responded to our compliments to her cooking and aafter my 2 huge glasses of red at the end of the night she brought us a complimentary amaretto which I suggested she drink with us, so we had a late night schnapps together. It was a lovely evening and great value. I guess its your choice whether you go but I thoroughly recommend her cooking and hospitality. Fabulous value compared to some of the Italians in the UK, trust me.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were looking for a an evening meal in Garmisch to balance the heavy (but good) Bavarian food during our Easter holiday. Found this place and the experience was horrifying. First they offered us as an Italian sparkling wine something which was not drinkable, when trying to get a new one they just poured the stuff into another glass. Finally we had to ask the (obviously) head waiter to bring us Pinot Grigio in a bottle to verify the wine source.

Then the food. Soup which was in the menu as minestrone was a warm water with vegetables poured directly from the fridge into a boiling water. Pizza á la Il Caminetto was practically only cheese with few Parma ham slices (only thing they didn't spoil). The cook had obviously had A GREAT IDEA to put artistic figures of balsamico into everything. The salmon looked awfull, pasta was al dente (only thing which was correct) but the fruit-de-mere sauce looked so awfull that we had to skip those rare pieces even.

We have difficulties to understand how this type of restaurants can survive and spoil the (generally) good reputation of great Italian cooking.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you're brave enough to come here...

- you better not be too hungry (we've been waiting a solid hour for the starters [salad and soup] and another hour for the mains);
- be prepared for the unfriendliest waitress you've ever encountered (don't even think about making a joke, she won't appreciate such behaviour...);
- do not look forward to a refreshing beer because they may not have one...(they run out of beer on a Saturday evening 8pm)!

In other words: never ever again!

1  Thank Chrigu_13
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went to Il Caminetto with 5 friends of mine and it was ridiculously terrible. We were served by the most unfriendly waitress I have ever encountered in my life and we had to wait for more than 2 hours for our food which was nothing special. Like this would not already be enough they were also out of beer. I will never ever go there again.

By the way, I think they wrote the good review themselves. Just my 2 cents...