All reviews slap dancing music and dancing nightly entertainment bavarian culture lovely street main building veal painted buildings bavarian food separate rooms flights of stairs cold cuts reception desk train station nice balcony barbara germany
Selected filters
Reviewed January 16, 2019

We have stayed there multiple times renting 2 rooms for family each time. The hotel is a wonderful example of Bavarian culture and meals. They have slap dancers at dinner time and the restaurant is filled with locals and tourists. It is conveniently located and there are many sights, churches and painted buildings within a very easy walk. The excursions within a short distance are marvelous from the Zugspitze, the gorge, Lake Eibsee, and Neuschwanstein Castle. The town of Oberamergau with its painted buildings is a must see. The staff are wonderful! Barbara, the owner, is our favorite. We love the rooms and have had the higher rooms with a view of the Zugspitze. This is our favorite part of Germany and we tend to go back regularly.

Room tip: We enjoy the rooms at the top of the Barbara building with the views of the Zugspitze
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed November 13, 2018

There are two very different types of rooms. One inside and one outside away from the hotel. Inside has stairs and great security. Not sure about the other but check before you check in. Checking in was different- in the Gasthouse. The restaurant is geared to large , Primarily tour, groups. Food was good German cooking but don't assume if you have a room they can seat you for dinner.

Room tip: Inside be sure and get a view of the mountain
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2018

I booked this hotel with booking.com to arrive on a Tuesday, the check-in time stated was 3.30pm-10pm which was perfect as I planned to go straight from Fussen to Garmisch Partenkirchen, up Zugspitze mountain and visit a few lakes and check-in to the hotel around 6 or 7pm. However 2 days before I was due to arrive I received a message from the hotel via booking.com saying as their restaurant is closed on Tuesdays and check-in will close at 5pm, meaning only a 90 minutes window to check-in. I replied asking if I can check-in between 10am-11am instead which is the time I will be arriving in Garmish Partenkirchen. I didnt receive any reply so I sent a second message via booking.com, and a third by email directly to the hotel, I did not receive a reply any of my messages, so I asked booking.com customer service to contact them. In an earlier message Booking.com confirmed the check-in time was 3.30-10pm.

I then received a second message from booking.com on the morning I was due to arrive saying they have contacted the property and they said the hotel is fully booked and the room will only be available at 3.30pm. As it was too late for me to cancel and find some other hotel, I had to alter my plans and cut short my visit to the lakes so I could check into the hotel. The booking confirmation was confusing, I later found out even though it states check-in is 3.30-10pm, in the small print it states restaurant is closed on Tuesday so check-in will close at 5pm, so if you are checking in on a Tuesday be prepared to build your plans around the hotel 90 minutes check-in window. I dont know if this confusion was caused by the hotel or booking.com.

When I arrived I couldnt find where to check-in, I was wandering about for 5 minutes in the empty restaurant, and then I went round the back. I then called the hotel phone number and all the phones around me rang but no one answered. Eventually someone came to the reception desk.

The room itself was great apart from the heating not working, very clean room, immaculate bathroom with shampoo and shower gel is included. The wifi worked great, I would lose connection sometimes but you just have to move closer to the door. Its a good location on the main street, 18 minutes walk to the train station or you can get the bus (5mins walk), and 7 minutes walk to the REWE supermarket.

The breakfast could have been better presented. They have different types of bread already on the table but is left uncovered and I did notice a few flies on it, and they place one glass of orange juice and flask of tea on the table whether you want it or not. It would be better if they leave all the bread on a covered counter, put the orange juice in a jug so the guests can help themselves.

One strange thing was the seating arrangements, the waitress seated me on a table for 4 but this table had someone sitting there already even though they had 20 other free tables. Then two more guests arrived, and for some reason the waitress seated them on my table too. One was in a wheelchair which made the seating a bit cramped. I can understand it if there were no free tables but it was not busy at all and there were 20 free tables there, maybe they didnt want one guest to eat all the bread as the bread is shared per table.

There were different types of bread available (as long as the other people on your table hasnt taken it), cereal, cold cuts, fruit. There was a type of sponge cake too but it was a bit stale I almost choked in it. I didnt think it was worth 9.50 Euros and if I stayed for a second night I would not have gone down for breakfast again.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Yat C
Reviewed September 28, 2018

Completely missing concept of check-in and check-out. This process was between the reception of orders in a restaurant. So if you are looking for reception go straight to restaurant and be prepared to lift your luggage up to huge upstairs without any offer to help. If you will get a room at first floor be prepared to listen up to late hours a loud music and laughter from restaurant. The hotel staff cares more about the customers of the restaurant than about the hotel guests. At first we could not find the person who would give us the room keys (and when we finally found the staff was not friendly and it seemed that we were distracting them from more important things), then the parking lot is somewhere unknown and find it was a big challenge.

The room was the most basic, the bathroom impresses with its minimal size and the lack of basic things (soap, toiletries). Beds and pillows are awful. The check-out process was again in the restaurant between a line of breakfast visitors. No elevator, no AC, Fi-Wi is slow. Our small room with 2 twin beds had a balcony (with parking lot view) at least it was good

Luckily we stood there only one night. But really location is good.

Due this mess we declined a breakfast in hotel and had a quiet and good breakfast time in other place. My opinion - Staff tired of hotel visitors and they need go to vacation.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank tk3232
Reviewed September 21, 2018

We were in a 2-bed apartment in a house out the back - I think we were upgraded! - superb place. Best hotel I stayed at. Furniture is mainly pine and beautiful - proper Bavarian feel. Views are amazing. Heated bathroom floor, nice touch.
Food was very nice, especially the Veal. Buildings are nice. Location is a quaint street nicely located in town. Supermarket, small walk away. Bus stop 3 min walk away.
So impressed. GaP is amazing town to visit.
Local roosters are consistent ;-)

Room tip: Apartment out the back is great.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends