“Outstanding tour of Garmisch-Partenkirchen”

All Things Garmisch - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$122.05*
and up
Half-Day Partenkirchen Tour including Creating Your Own Chocolate
More attraction details
Owner description: Hello everyone! My name is Jake Doherty. I am the owner and operator of 'all things garmisch.' After studying history at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta I moved to Bavaria and never left! I have been a tour guide, event planner, and vacation organizer for the past 9 years! I would LOVE to show you the beauty of my adopted home so check out our website!
St. Catharines, Canada
“Outstanding tour of Garmisch-Partenkirchen”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

In high hopes of seeing mountains after previous visits to Germany largely cloaked in thick cloud cover, I was delighted to find a clear day to venture to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I was able to book with Jake in the last minute, and he so graciously welcomed me to tour the next day. I particularly wanted to see the "Klamm"-the gorge in G-P. Jake checked out the availability and I was set. Jake met me at the train station, and we headed for the gorge. Rich in history and beauty, this easy hike was more than I could have hoped for. Dress warm, with your best treads on your feet. Crystalline water and the ethereal beauty of the icicles in the gorge-spectacular. We wended our way back past the Ski Stadium, and after a detailed description of the merging of the towns and the construction of the Ski Stadium with all its political implications,we went for lunch. We went to a very old Gasthaus and had a leisurely, authentic Bavarian meal. Jake was greeted several times by name by the locals-he is known there. Visits to churches, historic city squares, theatres, and views of the mountains all around us were narrated in vivid detail by Jake. Partenkirchen has the older feel of the two towns. It is easy to imagine ancient travel on the Roman Road, a far different symphony of sounds breaking the quiet of the blue dawn. We walked to Garmisch- still ancient but punctuated by shiny shops: easy to imagine why it is one of the sister cities of Aspen Colorado. By this time Jake was making suggestions of which stores I would like to visit-and he was right.

I did not feel one bit rushed, and was so pleased that Jake gave 100 percent to give one person a tour. The stories I'm sure he has told hundreds of times were still coming out in full colour as he explained the history of these towns. There is no way I could have gotten as much out of touring these towns without Jake leading. Jake is not only knowledgeable, but he continues to research and pursue the veracity of stories about G-P. As an added bonus, Jake took photos for me and even helped me set up my GoPro camera. He got me on the right train back to Munich-it was a perfect day. Thank you Jake! -I sincerely appreciate the wonderful day I had-it was memorable and so worth it. Look Jake up- you will not be disappointed.

Visited December 2013

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Your Bavarian vacation will be ten times better with Jake”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Christmas walking tour and dinner in Garmisch Partenkirchen was the highlight of our holiday. Jake is an American who has lived in Germany for many years, and knows the history better than 99% of the locals. He also shares lots of WWII history the locals would rather not talk about. Very energetic, informative, and entertaining. Best Christmas dinner ever, and we had the best seats in the house. Everybody in town knows him and loves him, and his tours obviously get the royal treatment.

Visited December 2013
San Diego, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Tour guide or brother? Made me feel like family...”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second time touring with Jake -- the first time was in Munich and this time I went to his turf in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area. I just wanted a general tour of the area. What I got was a really incredible day/evening experience. With Jake, you think you're just hanging out with a member of the family who happens to know a ridiculous amount of local history, and you walk away having had a lesson in world history. That's a gift.

After a quick 80--minute train ride from Munich, my day started with a walking tour of the two towns, taking in the breathtaking scenery, and it ended at the Griesbrau brewery in Murnau, where they were having a party to tap the first keg of the Christmas beer (which was delicious!). Jake's a local there, and it's part of his famous brewery tour. The owners and brewmaster treated us like honored guests.

Another reason I think Jake is a spectacular guide -- he had remembered from over a year ago that I really enjoy a good meal, and he took me to a restaurant called VAUD (not listed on TripAdvisor for some reason) on the Garmisch side where I had for lunch a pumpkin soup that I will dream about, and a delicious pinenut/cheese stuffed chicken breast.

I cannot say enough good things about Jake, his sense of humor, his service attitude and his accomplishments as an expat who has lived in the area for a decade and a half. Take the time to reach out to him. You'll be so happy you did.

Visited November 2013
Evergreen, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tour Guide-American-All Things Garmisch-Bavarian”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Two month European trip. One month into, this American found exceptional fortune, Jake - fluent, engaging, knowledgable and a gentleman; one whose personal experience provides a unique humility to Bavaria, European culture/history/places old and new and, that of North America. His ability to wrap this together in story-like form, if interested, is artful and insightful. Or, simply point to point, pick his brain. I did. Jake went more than the extra mile. A grateful man is contagious. That example got this American into and through Europe month number two. Thank you Jake. You made a difference !

Visited September 2013
Carlsbad, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“You will not be disappointed!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had really high expectations after reading all these amazing reviews and Jake still exceeded my expectations. We had the most amazing two days with Jake! He is super friendly, outgoing, and knows his history! We combined the Partenkirchen walking tour with the famous brewery tour and also took the tour of the Neuschwanstein Castle on another day. Two very fun filled days. Jake was also very helpful in giving us tips and recommendations for our trip to Oktoberfest, which we did on our own. He also made time to stop at a shop so I could purchase a dirndl for Oktoberfest. Will definitely book again the next time we visit Bavaria!

Visited October 2013