“Warm and welcoming”

and 1 more site!
Leiners Familienhotel
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I would have given this hotel an excellent if it weren't for the price. Its one of the more expensive places we've stayed on our recently 6 month trip around Europe. EU159 to my mind is getting up there for a very dated room. As with all German accommodation it was spotlessly clean. I never hesitate to book a 3 star in Germany as I know they do not compromise on cleanliness. In most other countries (including my own) I would never book below a 4 star. It was cold during our stay but the room was toasty with underfloor heating and the room had everything needed however it was in serious need of a make-over for the price tag. Garmisch is a tourist spot and compared to other small towns is generally more expensive but this family run hotel won me over with its friendliness and warmth. The breakfast buffet was basic but all we needed (included in the price). They cater extremely well for children. The heated pool in the basement was a hit. We ate out one night and on the second night it was cold and miserable so decided to stay in. It was my birthday and to be honest I didn't think much of the whole experience when we first sat down surrounded by lots of very small children (ours are 8 and 10) but the dining room was decorated to the hilt for Christmas and the staff were so friendly. And the best surprise, my meal was one of the best meals I've had in Europe! A beef salad which was utterly delicious.
No internet but parking is free and right outside the front door is a gondola which will take you up the peak into the snow. Or we walked half a kilometre down the road straight onto open fields and made snowmen. A great family hotel which could become an excellent one with a little make-over.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2013

sehr Interessent!!

I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night (late June 2013) in a very cheap, small, and clean one person room (mit private bath).

It is a “family” hotel and they cater to kids. So lots of small folks running about with young parents. If I were a young parent (rather than a young grandparent age person) I think I would like this a lot (well, I did like it a lot!).

As a non-parent (that is, my children are off doing other things and have not yet reproduced) who was there because it was across the street from a major hiking trail, I greatly enjoyed this place.

Let me count the ways.

First - it is across the street from the Olympic Village and the entrance to the Partnachklamm ( http://www.partnachklamm-info.de/ ). (Free if you get there before 8 am!!)

Second - the staff is very friendly, even if you don’t have a kid in tow.

Third - when I checked in I told the Frau at the desk that I wanted to start walking by 5:30 the next day. She asked me what I wanted for breakfast!!?? And then she suggested many things ... fresh fruit, granola, wonderful plain yogurt (don’t try this if you are from the US and like that sugary stuff we get back home), cheese, meats, breads, coffee, . . . all of this was just for a guy who was getting up early to hike!! I found out on Sunday that I basically got the best of the full menu. Wunderbar!!!

Fourth - room -- quiet as I could have asked for. (I do have two kids of my own, though they are quite old now, but that means I have the male gene that allows me to tune-out crying children. I really don’t remember any crying that persisted long enough to be public nuisances, but your mileage may differ.

Fifth -- food. Well, I ate alone both nights. I was traveling alone this trip (meinen Bruder was long since gone, and meine Frau was not yet arrived in Deutschland). First night I was too interested in an early dinner (and bedtime) to go elsewhere. Second night I was too tired to go elsewhere. I don’t think dinner is the strong point here, but it was tasty, nutrious, and not all that expensive.

Sixth -- there were other adults w/o Kinder here. I had a great time at the small bar my first night practicing my german on a guy from the far west (of Germany) and his friends and all of their spouses (three couples total). All very fun. All very much people closer to my age then those mit kinder. They all tolerated my attempts at German. Very nice “crowd.”

Seventh, I liked the staff. I pretty much had their lounge to myself (which is where the internet is). The staff tolerated my very poor Hochdeutsch (as opposed to my even worse Süddeutsch). They also tolerated my requests for beer (wunderbar!!) and generally left me alone to work on this review and many other emails. At least in this season the various rugrats were too busy elsewhere to worry an old man, sitting inside, about anything (though I did try to entice the few who left their parents long enough to come near to me).

Eighth, this is about as close as you can get to the start of the walk up the Zugspitz. I had a great day. As I left by 5:30 am (after the breakfast described above) I got up to the highest hut by around 10:30. After that it began snowing. I was somewhat dissappointed to realize that the Zugspitz train went higher than I could go w/o crampons or snowshoes. (This was an “unusual” year, these events, and my weekend, took place the last weekend in June 2013.)

So I liked this hotel a lot. It was clean. It provided me with a very early breakfast. It cooked two very substantial dinners for my day before and day after hiking. Yummy!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank wg_2011
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Excellent room and bathroom. Very clean. Good restaurant and wonderful breakfast buffet. Free parking. Internet hot spot only in the lobby. If you are looking for a place to go with young children, that's the hotel! If you don't have a car, you can take a public bus to go to the city center and the hotel provides a daily pass. We definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robipat
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This hotel was a last minute find, but a wonderful discovery!
We have three children and were in an incredibly spacious room with a terrace, kitchen and living room. There was more than enough room for everyone to have a little space!
The breakfast buffet is the best we have had in Germany, complete with traditional German fare such as yogurt, granola, fruit, breads, cheeses, and spreads. But, it also included wursts, boiled and fried eggs. A great way to start your day! It provided plenty of fuel to trek through the mountains and Partnach Gorge (which is only minutes from the hotel).
For the children there is a playground, indoor pool and an indoor playroom complete with video games and foosball. There is also childcare available if you need it.
The staff was extremely friendly and generally spoke perfect English. The were wonderful to the children, offering an endless supply of apple juice, the yummiest hot chocolate at breakfast and smiles.
We are already looking forward to returning here SOON!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MarathonMom24
Reviewed January 5, 2009

After finding out that Edelweiss was booked three months out, I stumbled across the reviews for Familotel Hotel Leiner. Traveling with kids in Europe, it is often difficult to find family rooms or hotels that welcome children. Hotel Leiner was an unexpected exception. We booked a family suite and it was wonderful! Two bedrooms, one with a queen (well, come on it is Europe, it was really two beds together) and the second bedroom had two twin beds with adorable kids furniture. There were also two bathrooms, one with a bath tub!
From the moment we set foot in the hotel (a good two hours before normal check-in) we were welcomed and treated very well. We were given a tour of the facilities, to include the heated indoor pool, a childrens play room, the dining room where there is always apple juice and mineral water out for the kids, and the other lovely areas of the hotel. The front desk provided information and maps and even a weather and snow report. Our room included breakfast, lunch and dinner as well. We had our own table, right by the fireplace and all of the meals were lovely. Step outside of the hotel and you will see the Olympic Ski Jump from the 1934 Winter Olympics. Close to downtown, it is only one block to the GaP bus line. The hotel is very family and kid friendly and we would stay again, choosing Hotel Leiner over Edelweiss for the atmosphere and quiet!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kcassidy
Reviewed February 15, 2007

My wife and I wanted to go skiing in Garmisch and originally selected another hotel. However, the other hotel had "overbooked" and rebooked us at this hotel. I was initially apprehensive but decided to give this place a shot. The hotel is located about a 40 minute walk to the main downtown area and is across from the olympic ski jump area. If you want to head downtown, I recommend driving. The food in the downstairs restaurant is very good, and the breakfast is well above average. The bar has a happy hour where the beer becomes very cheap, but it's not unreasonalbe at other times. The staff made my wife and I feel welcome and they happily answered our questions. We were not at all disappointed that we were rebooked into this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank seanoday
Reviewed June 22, 2006

We (2 retired adults) stayed at the Hotel Leiner for 1 night in late May, 2006. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from the city center; it has only a few free parking spots. The room was very clean, quiet and comfortable. The included buffet breakfast was the best of all during our 4 week trip through Germany and Switzerland.
It is a small quaint budget hotel - we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2006