“Breathtaking Views!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$272.30*
and up
A Private Day Tour of the Zugspitze mountain and Partnach gorge from Munich...
More attraction details
Owner description: At nearly 10,000 feet, Germany's highest peak is a popular ski area during the winter and a challenging hiking trail during the rest of the year.
Boston
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Breathtaking Views!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

During our recent visit to Germany we spent some time in Garmisch and had the opportunity to go to the top of the Zugspitze on the cable car. We actually drove into Austria to take the aerial cable up from that side. It is cheaper and the parking is easier and free.

If you have the opportunity to do this on a clear day take it by all means. On a cloudy day it is probably not worth the not cheap price of the cable car. The view is everything and if you can't see anything what's the point? So, check the weather carefully and plan ahead.

We went in October and it was cold up there, so plan accordingly. There was a good amount of snow and ice at the top - always take a jacket.

The ride up and down is fast and somewhat thrilling. You are moving up or downhill at a significant clip and it is a sensation that is somewhat between thrilling and ominous. The views just get better and better.

The observation deck is big and give an outstanding panoramic view of that section of the alps. You should take a map if you can so you can pick out the directions and the landmarks. You really are on top of the world up there.

There are two or three restaurants at the summit. They are pretty crowded so you will need to stake out a table. The food is surprisingly good. I would suggest a bowl of soup and a good beer.

The museum is pretty cheesy. I personally would put more time into the view which is world class and get my information from the guidebook.

This is not cheap but how often to you have the chance for this kind of experience. Do it if you can and enjoy!!!

Visited October 2012

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“WoW what a view”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

This place has on of the best views on the planet. Highly recommend it to anyone wondering if it is worth it. Don't forget the highest beer garden in all of Germany.

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“High point of Garmisch visit.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We checked the weather and left for the Zugspitze early and came back on the last train down. Took the train to the cable car which took us up. Had a clear day with 100 km view. Rented skis up there. Never seen a rental shop so well organized. Snow was excellent. Most lifts are covered so you are sheltered from the wind. Snow was excellent. No ice at all. Cafeteria was very busy but we just went with the flow. Overall we felt we got good value for the money. At the end of the day you feel you have seen and done something unique.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank bewa02
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“I want another Germknödel please!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Coming from a hot tropical country to Munich for a conference/holiday, we decided to bring our kids to the mountains. We were lucky enough to experience snow and mountains when we were studying for our degree in New Zealand, and we wanted to give our two boys first hand experience.
There were a few places around Munich, but Zugspitze seemed the outstanding one. Arriving at Garmisch-Partenkirchen station was easy enough via the DB trains from Munich Hauptbahnhof. Booking was done via internet from www.bahn.com and the tickets to the top of the mountain can be bought directly at the Zugspitzbahn station just across the Garmisch-Partenkirchen station.

Okay.. you can see that I'm really showing off my german skills. But the whole planning was worth it as the recommended roundtrip with the ascent via the cable car was out of this world. Breathtaking views of the glacier and lake, as the weather was clear and sunny. We reached the summit and spent 2 hours having ice cream (kids) and something I would not find in tropical Malaysia --> Germknödel ! It was a big round yeast dough dumpling with plum sauce filling. Yummy vanilla sauce served to complete the feast.
I felt energized immediately and could ski down Zugspitze, except that there was no snow and most asians don't ski well.

Then we came down a smaller cable car to the glacier where the kids had crazy fun with the sleds.
The journey down with the cogwheel train was a little weird as most of the trip was through dark and moist tunnels.
I bet that coming to this place in winter would be more fun, but we really had a great time anyway.
By the way, there was a convenient prayer room for our use, with the direction to Mecca clearly marked.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank drzubin
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Breathtaking Top of Germany”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It is my first time visiting Top of Germany, Zugspitze. I was fortunate as the weather was clear and sunny, blue sky against the white backdrop of the surrounding alps. The summit's view at 2,962m above sea-level was breathtaking, offering 360 degrees panorama view. Although it was sub-zero temperature, minus 14 or 15 degrees celsius, the visit was worthwhile. The viewing platform was easily accessible, sturdy and friendly for both adults and children. I spent close to 45 minutes, enjoyed the fresh air and alpine view. From the summit, I was able to view the entire ski slopes, gleaning white snow, smoothen almost to perfection; skiers were spotted on the slopes, their colourful ski-gear clearly visible against the white background, they descended from the slopes with differing speeds, giving evidence who were the experts and amateurs.

I could not resist the temptation to ski, went down to the ski-centre, followed the visible signage and discovered the ski-equipment rental shop. One of gentlemen manning the counter told me to register before I can be served. He pointed to the LCD touch-screen which is installed on the wall. I selected the language first, followed the user-friendly instructions studiously, input my name, weight, height, age and ski-experience level, an acknowledgment slip of paper was printed and I gave it to the gentleman. As I was unprepared for skiing, I have no ski gear except a pair of ski gloves I bought before taking the large cabin cable car ride. I was anxious they may not have ski clothing as most skiers wore their own. My anxiety was unnecessary, I was extremely glad when the gentleman said he have ski clothing but unsure if it will fit me. With great anticipation, I was able to fit into the ski clothing. I was out of the shop smiling satisfactorily, I am all suited up, ready to ski within 20ish minutes (included the time to try clothing and ski boots). I enjoyed my un-planned ski trip, it added more colours to my tour. Thanks to the ski-equipment rental shop and the friendly gentleman who served me.

Visited February 2013