“Good Hotel just out of the centre of Oberammergau”
Review of Hotel Arnika

Hotel Arnika
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Oberammergau
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Third hotel we stayed in on a recent walking holiday in Bavaria. Typically clean, modern, quiet and well run small family hotel in the area. Pleasant staff, although on each of the three days/two nights we were in the hotel there only appeared to be one person - a different lady each day- on duty -ie running the reception desk and running the restaurant in the evening. We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast buffets were good quality and varied but the four course fixed menu dinner options, although huge portions - too big in reality - were not the best we experienced during our holiday. Meat courses were either overdone (on one night) and underdone (pink pork!) on the other. But no health damage done so overall an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chester_UKCitykid
There are newer reviews for Hotel Arnika

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed for two nights on a walking tour. The room, the food and the majority of the staff were acceptable. However on the last evening we enquired of the management (Frau Altgasser I believe) what the arrangements were for us to be taken to the train station to catch the 8:38 train the next morning, a service our holiday company has contracted with the hotel. She said it was 10am and would not budge when we said this would mean we miss our flight back to the UK. There was no sympathy, apology or attempt to help us in any way, e.g. by offering to get us a taxi. Nor would she let us pay the bill that evening or agree to provide a slightly earlier breakfast because of the early departure. So we spent the next couple of hours sorting it out with the holiday company, who also tried unsuccessfully to convince the hotel to fulfil their obligations before booking us a taxi.

The next morning when I was paying the bill my wife took some (three, what a sin!) of the tiny boiled sweets from the basket. She immediately whipped the basket behind the counter and muttered something along the lines of "that might be what you do in England but not here". I really believe she is one of those people who feels that her life would be much improved without those pesky guests; why she is making herself miserable in the hotel business I can not imagine...

Finally, another member of our walking group was charged 2.50 euros for a small pitcher of tap water with his dinner, and didn't even get any ice for his money!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My daughter doesn't usually travel with my wife and I but this time was the exception. We wanted to take her on a little mini-vacation for her good grades this school year and wanted something nice. I've stayed at the Hotel Arnika a few years ago and had a nice experience. So, I booked a large room for three and the whole experience, from start to finish was superb. The hotel and room was absolutely spotless and beautifully done. The staff speak fluent English and was very professional and very helpful. The location is not in the middle of town but it's within easy walking distance. We'd walk to dinner each night with a stop at the small cafe next to the Alte Post for ice cream - delicious! I've lived in Europe on and off for over 20 years and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to enjoying a true Bavarian experience.

Room Tip: This was my second time at the Hotel Arnika and it's been fantastic each time. The only thing I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SP6873
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at the Hotel Arnika. It is a good clean family run hotel. It has modern rooms and wifi throughout the hotel. I stayed there for two weeks. The meals were reasonable - although the restaurant quickly becomes overwhelmed on busy nights. I had only one bad experience with the food: I ordered the chicken cordon bleu and it came not fully cooked. One other drawback is that the hotel staff seem to tolerate smoking in the lobby (where there is a small bar). I'm sure that this is contrary to German law. Finally I noticed one member of the kitchen staff smoking in the resturant in the afternoon. If you're a non-smoker like me - this is definitely is not on. Overall good hotel, but I couldn't give it full marks.

Oberammergau is nice, but after a few days you run out of things to do.

Room Tip: Ensure you have a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ihyi y
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The village is very nice, the location of the hotel is perfect, the owners and the staff very friendly. The restaurant is very good, as well. I cordialy suggest this hotel for all year around.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We spent 2 night at that hotel and were very pleased. I really enjoyed my stay. Everyone in the place were friendly even the resident dog! The room was big and comfortable, we had a great sleep! The bathroom was very clean and spacious. We had bathrobes and sleepers to use and we really did appreciate it. Town is about a 10 mins walk. Just perfect. The breakfast was modest but this was enough. I recommand this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at the Arnika for 2 nights as part of a 10-day walking tour of Bavaria. The welcome was efficient and quite friendly, the room was very nice with a view right on to the alpine meadow and the mountains behind. Breakfast was fairly routine but perfectly acceptable. The hotel is situated about 10 minutes out of the centre of the village on the way to the cable car. I would be happy to return but I expect there are better hotels in the village.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple