“Nice hotel in a beautiful area”

Romantik Hotel Bold
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Oberammergau
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Nice hotel in a beautiful area”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is such a lovely area of Bavaria, and this hotel fits right in. The staff is welcoming, helpful and friendly. The room itself is much larger than most we stayed in with a sofa, table, and chair plus a large computer desk with another chair. Ample storage and clean bathroom.

No A/C but it was quite cool at night (August), and we didn't need it. Church bells woke us up at 6:00 am ringing for quite some time. Beds and pillows could have been more comfortable. Free wifi worked well.

Breakfast buffet was ok but nothing special. Coffee was the weakest we had in Germany. Some people like it that way. We don't.

Walking distance to the small town with many cute shops and restaurants. Across the street is a canal with a walking path. Nice. Good location for visiting some castles.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Oxford, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel two nights in July 2014. Not only is the hotel very nice but the village is very interesting. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. Two things to note: First, a wood carver was making a life-size carving in the lounge area that was very interesting to watch. Secondly, if you have wash and fold laundry, let them know in the afternoon and they will wash it overnight at no charge. Any items needing ironing have a per item charge. For travelers on long itineraries, this is a very nice service.

Unfortunately, it rained the entire time we were at the hotel so we did not see as much of the property or the village as we would have liked, but what we saw makes us want to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sweden
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We went to Bavaria in the south of Germany for a few days hiking in the alps. The Boeld hotel is close to the Oberammergau village center with walking distance to restaurants, shopping, and about 1 km to the cabin taking you up the mountain where several trails start. We were very happy with the hotel. The room was clean, large, and modern with nice furniture and a balcony with a view over the mountains. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet during nights. The breakfast was fine with a good choice of cold and hot dishes. The complimentary WiFi worked in most places in the hotel but there were a few corners with poor coverage. Best thing was the staff that really cared about us having a good holiday. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SwedenSkibum
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I was part of a travel group and typically the solo travellers are allocated smaller, less desirable located rooms which was particularly noticable in this hotel. My room was on the ground floor at the very end of the hallway and the decor was very dated. Obviously not one of the large or renovated rooms that other reviewers have raved about or are shown as "photos from Managment" on the web sight.

Being on the ground floor, I didn't feel secure leaving the window open at night and since there wasn't any a/c, the temperature was uncomfortably warm for me. My room also had a few ants, I suppose being next to an exit door they find their way in. The shower grout was starting to form mould and the carpet was most definitely overdue for replacement.

Though Oberammergau is a lovely town and the hotel is a couple minutes walk down the path to the town centre, unless I was guaranteed a better quality room - I would not return. The meals were good, but not great and the reception was unable to give me directions for the in room safe that had no written directions on it or anywhere else in the room. Like how many digits do you need for the password? Do you press the "enter" or "close" button? "I don't know" and then turned to what she was looking at on her screen.

Others in my group were happy enough with "their" rooms - but going by their descriptions, they obviously had a completely different product than I had. A bit of a disappointment to my otherwise enjoyable two day stop in Oberammergau.

Room Tip: Definitely reserve a recently renovated room and not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in April 2014. The hotel is located within walking distance to "downtown" Oberammagau…shopping, the church, restaurants. The room and bathroom I was outdated, but it appeared to be clean enough (I found a daddy long leg spider. Ugh). Bring your own lotion and hair conditioner.

The breakfast was good with the usual deli meats, bread, and eggs, but did not have as many hot choices as other hotels I have stayed in. Dinner service was professional and the food is excellent. The staff speak English well and free wifi is strong and available throughout the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most enjoyable hotels I have ever stayed in. I got upgraded into a suite and the rooms are large and well appointed. The breakfast (included) includes cold cuts, fruits, bread juice and more. The dinner was excellent-my first time eating schnitzel. The hotel also has a sauna lounge and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.

The only drawbacks are the soft pillows and the neat feature that requires me to insert my room key to power the room electricity. When I leave, I can pull my key and all the room lights and tv go out. When I come back, everything resumes how I left it- unfortunately that means the clock radio resets every day.

I tally like this place and would come again, but with my family.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This family-run hotel hosts many international guests. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. You can choose from many cold cuts, breads, fruit, cereal and eggs. In addition, you can always request scrambled eggs with bacon, specialty coffees and those items are all included. Rosie, the owner, will spoil you rotten. With each stay, you also receive a discount/freebie card that gives you many benefits, such as free rentals, admission to local attractions and much more. The only reason why I am not giving it a rating of excellence is the beds. The pillows were very uncomfortable and the mattress was just ok.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family