“Fabulous”

Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Oberammergau
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We turned up on spec late afternoon. The man at reception couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We were given a beautiful junior suite with balcony and were advise we could use all the facilities, including the pool, etc. Also a ticket for free parking within the town. The table d'hote menu was 5 courses and excellent. The hotel is in a beautiful location, caters for all types of tourist and is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tallinn
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice and quiet location, outside the city centre, but in walking distance. The room was clean, seemed to have been recently refurbished. I was not sure about the position of the bed diagonally across the room. It was not possible to sit up in the bed to read a book etc because of this. The hotel had a lively pub, which seemed to be a local favourite. The breakfast was decent, good choice. The staff were polite until my problem happened. I discovered that it was not possible to get the promised wifi on my Android phone. A grumpy younger man from the back office suggested that I download another browser for my phone. "Of course Android would not work", he said. I suggest that they should change their equipment. There are so many similar hotels with similar prices, why should I choose one without internet? I tried to use the PC-s downstairs, that were advertised as 24 hours accessible. I discovered that they lock the room in the evening when the reception staff leave. It was just sheer luck that someone was around to upen it up for me at around 9 pm.
I experienced this kind of grumpiness also some other times during my trip to Oberammergau. It was somewhat surprising, I was rather expecting a kinder form of hospitality.

Room Tip: The pub seemed to be very lively, so probably avoid rooms close to it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Coming to Oberammergau for serveral times already I knew the Parkhotel Sonnenhof from comments made by others. Finding a good price option by HRS I decided to check-in there this time and I was not disappointed.
The room offered was spacious, had a balcony and comfortable seats. TV, Minibar and Hair Dryer were available and free WiFi in the room worked properly.
The only I did not find was an alarm clock, but I did not ask for one and used my smartphone instead.
The Sauna and the spa were in functional design and served their purpose. Also a small gaming area with a Pool table and sone video games is available. For families and children each day entertainment activities was offered if sufficient participants registered a day in advance.
The down sides were from my perspective: The cleaning service was not always done properly, even though the hotel was clean and well maintained. So this might have been a single experience. In the evening the restaurant offered for Hotel guests only a buffet but a la card menu. Finally some of the furniture in the room showed some aging issues like lack of paint, scratches and the mattresses became too soft over the years.
The staff was always friendly. willing to help and once addressed with a request made almost everything possible.
Overall a recommendable family friendly hotel in the hands of a bavarian family offering good service for a fair price.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite. Those pointing to the front side of the hotel offer a nice view on the town.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank XO_621
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here in mid September and it was Wonderful. We had booked a junior Suite and it was excellent, balcony accessible from both the sitting room and the bedroom. The views were very good overlooking the town with mountains in the background and river running past the hotel. We had booked half board and the evening meals were varied with a good choice, especially when there was a themed buffet. Beer was good too!
Breakfast was the usual continental selection, eat as much as you like with an endless supply of coffee. The staff were friendly, especially those on reception. Our motorbikes were securely garaged overnight, important to us bikers.
A couple of nights it turned cold and the heating was very good, there was also free WiFi in the room. The bathroom was clean with a very powerful shower.
Oberammergau was easily within walking distance and a guest card gave discounts on local activities and free buses.
Overall an experience we shall return to in future visits to the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beemer666
Thun, Switzerland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Lovely place with individually outfitted rooms in Bavarian wood. Excellent restaurant and bar with lots of theme buffets, around EUR 20.- There is a small indoor swimming pool and nice sauna facilities. The staff was wonderful, giving advice, renting out bikes etc. Internet WLAN is EUR 5 for the whole stay (as of May 2012). Loved it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank swisstrainwebber
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Our double room meant 2 single beds pushed together (as appears to be the case throughout Germany). I could feel the individual springs digging into me when lying in bed.

Our room had a bad smell from outside the bathroom window, which meant we couldn't open the windows. The church bell was across the river, so even late at night we could hear the bells ringing. On Sunday morning it rang continuously for so long it was not possible to sleep in at all. The curtains did not block out the sunlight, which also made it difficult to sleep late.

There are no "do not disturb" signs, so every morning of our 3 night stay, the housecleaning staff just entered our room with a few knocks on the door before just unlocking the door and coming in. The soundproofing of the doors are not very good and each time our next door neighbors enter and leave their room, we feel like someone is trying to open our door.

We also found that the WLAN (costing 5 euro) did not really reach around the corner in our room, as we were in the room at the end of the corridor.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at Parkhotel Sonnenhof for a week in October 2011 and found it to be a very good hotel. It's well maintained, spotless and enjoyable with a fine restaurant, a relax section with a swimming pool/sauna, a bar and so on.

The room I stayed in was fairly large with a balcony, TV (I could only find three english speaking channels - CNBC, BBC, Bloomberg), lots of wardrobe space, a safety deposit box, and WiFi.The staff was always extremely polite, professional and accommodating.

Oberammergau is a small town so restaurants, bars, the Main Street, etc are within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel, which is beautifully located next to a small river.

For military personnel attending the NATO School, the school shuttle has a stop just across the bridge over the river, i.e. less than one minute walk from Parkhotel Sonnenhof.

Finally, I’m sure that I’ll be staying at Parkhotel Sonnenhof the next time I go to Oberammergau as I found it friendly, clean and relaxed.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 217, which is a fairly large double room. The windows are towards tha back so you w...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business