“Freindly Family-Run Hotel”
Review of Gasthof Zur Rose

Gasthof Zur Rose
Ranked #5 of 14 Oberammergau B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2012

First a reason for the good review. I made an internet booking at another hotel but when I arrived at 2245, the other hotel was closed. This is not uncommon for small hotels in this part of the world as I found out. However, turning the corner was the Rose. I told them my situation and they first tried to contact the owner of the other hotel with no luck, only after that they offered me a room. After settling in I knew this was going the be the place I wanted to stay for the week. The rooms are small but very nice and very clean. The bathroom is tiny but adequate. Breakfast is included and is pretty decent. The best of the hotel are the owner and staff. They get to know you very fast and are very helpful and friendly. The restaurant is very popular with the local residents and the lamb fillet is probably one reason because it is fantastic. The bar has a big-screen TV. This hotel is recommended for those seeking a good value and having a hotel staff that really looks out for them.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed February 23, 2012

When I was young growing up my family would never stay visit the same place twice but for three Christmas in a row we came to zu rose because it is magical it can be minus 12 out side but the hotel is always warm it feels life walking into your own home and always has a relaxed atmosphere. Now that I am grown I took my wife here and it is still fantastic the if you like meat and good beer the restaurant is out of this world. Most of restaurant in Oberammergau are closed on Tuesdays and when I went to another restaurant it was no where near as good. I would recommend this hotel to anybody and I am already planning my next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FieldFace
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After a long journey of some 12 hours we received a friendly welcome from the owners and a very welcome 'we can do the paperwork tomorrow' approach. Prior to booking I had read some reviews which criticised the rooms, however, our room (the Jnr suite) was excellent. The suite is ideal for families, it has 2 bedrooms and a very large bathroom. It had recently been refurbished and was bright, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was superb having a large bath and a separate shower.

I had also booked a double room for my sister and her partner this room had also been refurbished. The en-suite while not massive was more than acceptable and overall my sister and her partner were also very pleased with their room.

All the staff were very helpful and spoke good english which compensated for my appalling german. The bar was nice with good reasonably priced drinks. We ate in the restaurant once during our week in Oberammergau and the food was of very good quality and reasonably priced. We would have gladly used it again but enjoy trying other local restaurants. Breakfast was of the traditional German style and again was good.

I have over the years stayed in many German Pensions and Gashofs and found the Zur Rose to be a very good one, it has a central location, comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a good bar and restaurant. I would highly highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Following a disastrous journey of more than 9 hours, I was deposited at 0200 hours by a grumpy German taxi driver at the NATO school to find that the school lodge was locked and closed for the night. A Google search found Gasthof Rose. My call was answered instantly and an offer to collect me immediately made. Arriving 7 minutes later, my host spoke excellent English and he made every effort to ensure my comfort for the next two days. The room was clean, warm and had a sun-facing balcony that I wish I had more time to enjoy. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Walker222
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We went for the Passion Play and spent two nights there. It was very relaxed and friendly. The rooms were simple but clean and the service was good. The bath room was a very small cubicle with WC, bacin and shower, but Ok for two nights. Food was very good. If we had been there for a whole week we'd have wanted something a bit more up market, but for two days it was ideal.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SRedburn
Reviewed July 15, 2010

On arrival, you are met with the scene of a traditional Bavarian Gasthof; pretty and quite pleasant and welcoming staff. Having collected my key, it was up the stairs to the room. It was not good, a small single with an even smaller shower and toilet cubicle. The washbasin was suitable for washing hands, but not for a morning shave - about 12 inches across. The room was spartan and lacked any character and just felt very boring and unwelcoming. That was the down side. On the credit side; a reasonable breakfast, free internet, and close to town. In summary, would I stay there again - very unlikely. Talking to colleagues in other hotels and gasthofs, there are much better out there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank cervelo_rs
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Simple hotel, but great for a stay! Extremely friendly staff, although they are always on the go. The owners speak English and you can tell they work hard on running the business. The owner even called to set up massage appointments for us when we asked for a place to go for massages.

Location is great - lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance, although the hotel has a great restaurant on sight. I believe they served Lowenbrau beer.

Rooms are nothing fancy but cozy. The best was the free wireless internet and they even had a laptop in the foyer to use at no charge.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank papgirl3