“The prices are good but the food was bland and tasted commercial not freshly made.”

Hotel Alte Post Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 54 Restaurants in Oberammergau
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The staff is friendly and atmosphere is typical Bavarian decor. We travel to this area a few times per year and this is one restaurant we will not return to again.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for four nights in June 2013 and had the opportunity to have lunch twice at the hotel. As the hotel is in the center of town, and the weather was quite warm it gave me the opportunity to have lunch AND people watch.
The food is typical Bavarian/German fare and as such, is very good.
The service is, well, German. You must become accustomed to a certain aloof manner if which German waiters approach you. One day I was able to get a fresh baked pretzel with a beer at about 5 o'clock, but the next day the young waiter told me that it was too difficult to do that...
But no complaints. The surrounding are wonderful, the people are very nice and the food is very good.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

After eating here at least a dozen times over many years, I have finally thought to write a report. Yes, Oberammergau is full of tourists and in the summer the Alte Post’s function room is stuffed, but the older parts of the hotel and restaurant are traditionally decorated and, in the winter, a very cosy place. I don’t believe it has changed much over the years.
The food is of excellent quality and there is plenty of it. There is an excellent choice of typical German, especially Bavarian cuisine, beautifully done. We always make our way here for at least one long lunch during our stay. On this occasion we had a good bottle of wine between us for 15€, my husband the Schwabenpfandl – a Swabian casserole (pork) in its own pot –superb. I decided to have one of the ‘menu’( the set lunch) so we shared the starter. Apfelstrudel for dessert and 2 irish coffees completely finished us off. The cost was 58€ which I believe is reasonable given the fact that the hotel is situated right in the centre of Oberammergau.
Although set up for visitors and able to speak good English, I like the fact that the staff will speak German to those of us who wish to practise.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hotel Alte Post is situated in the centre of Oberammergau and due to such an advantageous location there is a tremendous view of the main streets of the town and of the Alps. The restaurant downstairs is cosy and atmospheric, especially the outdoors terrace. Personally I am satisfied with the quality of service there. I tasted venison with cowberry gravy – it was unusual and delicious! P.S. Beer is excellent, as everywhere in Bavaria.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We have been to Oberammagau many times and eat at Alte Post every time! You can't go wrong with any dish. Each room has it's own charm and during the summer months, eating outside is even more enjoyable with the frescoed buildings and all of the beautiful flowers surrounding you.