“Rather cheap, central but very basic...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Zum Kirchenbauer

Zum Kirchenbauer
Ranked #6 of 12 Oberammergau B&B and Inns
Muenster, Germany
“Rather cheap, central but very basic...”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I booked a double room in this place through a website and I was obviously attracted by the relatively cheap price, if compared with other offers available in the small village of Oberammergau, where I had been several other times in the past. The description and the price of the place were attractive with nice photos vs low detailed summary of the offered services. I spoke on the phone with the owner two times in advance (very good english speaker) in order to advice him that I would have arrived in Oberammergau very late on Sun evening; he was very nice and waited for us to arrive. The place is a typical bavarian style house with a very small reception and two floors with a total, I think, of not more than 10 rooms; the house is in the very centre of the small village of Oberammergau, just in front of the main church; the room we had was nice with a view on the church and the limited parking lot just in front of the house (5 spaces - 2 hours max parking time from 8 to 19 hrs; other spaces are available around the house - not in front - with the same rules). The room had a comfortable but very low bed and it has been always a challenge to stand up from that bed in the morning; there is heating available only in sleeping hours. The bathroom was enough big with shower box and a good hair dryer available. Unfortunately after the first morning we discovered, with some surprise, that the property would have not done any cleaning of the room for all the week: this was one of the "details" that were missing in the description of the place I was earlier speaking about. Another big disadvantage of this place is the fact that if you want to speak with the owner you will have to wake up early because you will meet him for breakfast but you will hardly see him or anyone else at the reception desk for the rest of the day (there is at the reception desk only his phone number and the wifi password): this doesn't mean that he was not kind those few times that I spoke with him but, as a matter of fact, the reception desk is not manned all the day long. The breakfast is good but with a limited choice: different types of cheese, "spek", butter, jam, bread, orange juice, coffee, yogurt and cereals. Unfortunately you have to wake up very early in the morning to have a decent breakfast because if you come down late, like my wife did all the week, you will not enjoy your breakfast at all (she didn't have any breakfast except the first day but this was charged on the bill): be aware you will have to cut yourself cheese and spek for your rolls and you will have to put apart any possible consideration on hygiene of other people doing the same. Wifi is not available (other detail that was not mentioned in the description.....) in the room; if you want to use the provided wifi you have to come down in the kitchen room (middle floor) or in the breakfast room (base floor and not always open) or in the ridicolously small reception area where there is a table with chairs but I do not know why both table and chairs are almost fully covered with unuseful local tourist info flyers that nobody read and that prevent you from sitting down at the base floor to use the wifi connection. If you have mobility problems or are a tall person like me, be aware that coming from base floor to the first, you will have to go through a very steep staircase that is not always very comfortable. the place, as I said, is directly facing the main church of the village: this means unfortunately that you will wake up most probably every day of your stay by 6 am or even before because the church's bell is as close as your alarm clock.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the church.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rino73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed May 24, 2013

After reading the reviews, I booked a stay at the Kirchenbauer but I was fairly disappointed. I criticise establishments only reluctantly and after considerable thought.

I arrived after a flight and train journey on a rather drizzly afternoon. My paperwork stated that the room would be ready from 2pm and I arrived at 2.30 to find a notice on the door saying that I should go to the 'Kase Laden' (cheese shop) nearby. The instruction was unclear and I needed a local to direct me. I stood in the shop waiting for my turn and rather felt that was a bit of a nuisance. I was told it would be 10 minutes and I was to wait at the property, which I duly did. He appeared, gave me a key and departed. Not much of a welcome! My room was clearly in need of modernisation - I peeped into other rooms on the top floor when vacant and they are of a much higher standard. The bedding was tired and so was the bathroom. At no point was I given the Visitor card, was never asked how I was, if I had been comfortable or if I needed help in Oberammergau. The WiFi - which I needed - did not work on the top floor:I had to sit on the stairs to use it. Breakfast was fair enough - nothing out of the ordinary - but the milk and butter ran out twice. Clearly the proprietors were much happier dealing with Germans or Austrians, although I do have conversational German.

However, it was not expensive, and certainly was good value for money. It was not of the standard that I have come to expect in Germany. I was also upset that having given four days notice of leaving a day early, they tried to charge me for that night.

I may have caught them in a bad week and others clearly have had different experiences but I cannot recommend this Gasthof.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosenau65
south africa
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here during our European tour in February 2013 for 3 days. Wonderfull cosy warm hotel with everything you can ask for.Breakfast was good with the normal food exept the eggs dissapear after the first morning. Also please inform your guests about your free taxi service to and from the station before they arrive. Also give out the Konigscards on the first day and not on the last day because the you can not use them as you are on your way home.But overall not bad for the price you pay more than 4 times cheaper than Switzerland hotels.

Room Tip: inside rooms have good wi/fi reception.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ansbach, Germany
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Last time we were here (July 2011) the Kirchenbauer was having a bunch of renovations. This time we got to stay in the family room (#4) and it was lovely. Hair dryer in the room (unheard of in European hotels). Comfortable beds, roomy-also unheard of! Service was great. Breakfast is typical with cheese, smoked meats, granola, yogurt, & breads. Love the location-Oberammergau is very peaceful & beautiful!! Always worth staying here. :)

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank jdabelon
Ansbach, Germany
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at Zum Kirchenbauer during the 4th of July Weekend in 2011. My husband, 14yo son, and 2 yo son had a marvelous time. We had the "family" room, we had two seperate bedrooms, one spacious the other one some what small, but definitely enough room. Also we had a dining area with a fridge, and a bathroom with a shower. Note the opening to get into the shower is only about 12 inches, had I been pregnant it would have NEVER happened! But other than that the rooms were clean, beds comfy, and the view was glorious! The breakfast was pretty small, but adequate-not a lot for a then barely 2 year old, but it was fine as far as continental breakfasts go. The owners were nice but not overly so, very typical for Germany. They were under renovation when we were there but the only negative was that there were not wine tastings at night, other than that it didn't effect us. The location was excellent for seeing the local castles Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhoff. Which were all wonderful. The town of Oberammergau is one of my favorites and we loved staying right in the heart of it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jdabelon
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed June 1, 2010

OMG! Just got back from seeing the Passion Play in Oberammergau and have to RAVE about Andreas and Christine's pension, Zum Kirchenbauer. We took an Oberammergau meal/lodging/play package, and as such didn't get a choice of hotels. So needless to say we were a little apprehensive, but about 2 minutes with Andreas and Christine changed all of that. They have the prettiest, most well situated hotel in Oberammergau and the rooms are to die for! We had a two room suite, neat as a pin, spacious, and well appointed. Andreas and Christine were so gracious and welcoming, we felt more like family than visitors. The meals were fantastic and filling and totally authentic (and my whole family is German, so I know German food!) They even have their own vineyard and make their own wine (which is delicious!!!)They speak wonderful English and are so knowledgeable! We probably drove them crazy with questions, but they were always wonderful to us! They have a beautiful daughter and a cool black Lab, so if you have kids or dogs, you will feel even more at home here. Having never stayed at a B & B or a pension before we didn't know what to expect, but now we are spoiled for any other pensions! We are seriously considering returning there again after the Passion Play is over, so we can roam the streets without all the extra tourists. By the way, the days we were there, Christine actually performed in the play, and STILL made all our meals! She is a true force of nature; I was exhausted just watching her! If you are thinking about seeing the Passion Play, insist on staying at Zum Kirchenbauer. You'll be sorry if you don't, because you will miss out on the most authentic part of Oberammergau--the amazing people that live there!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank efletc8985
Litchfield,IL
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Andreas was very helpful. We loved the location, right across from this beautifull church.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends