“Beautiful view, great breakfast”

Hotel Garni Gastehaus Edlhuber
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Mittenwald
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Our family of four (with two teens) travelled to Mittenwald for three days in early June and booked a family room at the Hotel Edlhuber. The room was comfortable, with two separate living areas and a small kitchen with fridge and cooktop for heating water. The owner is very friendly, and although her English is not great (although way better than my German...), she was able to recommend restaurants and activities for us. The only slight down side to our visit was a little misunderstanding about the number of beds in the room. Turns out that "beds" meant number of people, not actual number of separate beds, so the teenagers felt like one of them needed to sleep on the floor. Fortunately there was plenty of extra bedding (and the owner offered to bring more), so it was not a big deal. Mittenwald is beautiful, and hotel is near the beautiful gorge hiking as well as the cable car to the top of the mountain. Next time, I will try to learn a little more German before I go...

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank sanibelrocks

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Mittenwald is an absolutely stunning area in the shadow of the snow-capped peaks. The hotel is on the edge of town with an iridescent blue river flowing beside it. We arrived earlier, but the owner was there to check us into a very nice room on the first floor with view of the mountains from the patio. The owner is extremely nice and was willing to help us out about where to go and what to see. (She was even nice enough to send my mom's coat to the US, which had been left behind in the room!) The breakfast was amazing, lots of fresh fruit, nuts, as well as breads and cheese. Very short walk from town (8 minutes) and very close to the trail head for the gorge, which has a beer garden with the best views in Bavaria.

Overall a wonderful stay, would definitely go there again next time I'm in Mittenwald!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chuleta507
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Six of us (two parents, two grandparents, a 4-year-old, and a 16-monther) stayed for three nights in early November, which is a very quiet season in Mittenwald. We could not have picked a better place to stay. We had two adjoining suites on the top floor (Edelweiss and Enzian), each with two rooms and simple kitchen facilities. Everything was spotlessly clean and quiet, and the views from our balconies overlooking the streams and the mountains were great. Breakfasts were ample and good. The path to the impressive Leutascher Geisterklamm begins just across the street, and the Mittenwald Brauerei's fine restaurant is less than ten minutes' walk. It's a family-run B&B operation more than a full-scale hotel, and the hostess clearly enjoys interacting with guests.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rmlind
Reviewed August 28, 2013

It was breathtaking when we arrived at the accommodation in our car. The B&B was located just besides the stream, with the snow-covered mountain as a backdrop. The picture in front of us was so beautiful. Four of us stayed in 2 adjourning rooms, and the balcony brought us to a nice view of the greenery, and if it wasn’t too cold, you could enjoy a cup of coffee at the balcony or at the table in front of the entrance and listen to the flowing stream water. The room was especially memorable because it has a sky roof in the bedroom, as well as the bathroom! We would just lie down on the bed and admire the sky in the warmth of our room. The room was also equipped with a small kitchen and it was really helpful if you wish to bring food back to cook or heat up. Overall, a very pretty accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Arrived after a 70K cycle in pouring rain. Room looked ok but I must have looked like a drowned rat. Could have done without hostess's dog sniffing around the room (allergies). So I settle in & look for a bin to put some rubbish. Find a ring hob in cupboard with bin. I can cook! Nothing to say I cannot so I go buy a steak & cook it. Bad idea. Hostess smells cooking, knocks on door and gives me a really hard time. "I must clean everything or pay extra in morning. I clean everything ( I would have done this anyway - my motto is leave things how you find them).

I go find hostess & ask her to inspect the room. She is not interested and wants to do it tomorrow. The stress & hostile nature of all this ruins my evening.

Next morning I try to check out & get her to inspect my room but she is busy. We agree 10 minutes. After what felt like half hour I just found her presented with 50 euro the approx agreed price & left.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mattman740
Anglelika W, Inhaber at Hotel Garni Gastehaus Edlhuber, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

First of all, we are really sorry that you felt so uncomfortable in our Hotel. The cooking thing: The whole staircase smelled of steak and onion.. I didn't say anything about cooking in your room while checking in because there isn't any pan in the kitchen, just a Little pot for tea. Didn't know that you have a pan with you? I just didn't eye up the kitchen because you came at 10 pm to me, I was almost in bed. Sorry, I supposed that you would have known that.
The checking out Thing:
I told you to come back in 10 minutes but you didn't appear. I am really sorry but in the morning it's really rushed. When I am alone I sometimes get in a hurry.
However we wish you a good time.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had booked into this guesthouse about two weeks before we arrived. We had spoken to the owner on the phone; all was confirmed for our two day stay. She confirmed the booking and asked us to fill out the booking form on her website which we did and which was confirmed by email.
When we arrived at about 11am, we informed her that we had been traveling for three hours that we were hungry and we needed to get breakfast for ourselves and our two young children and would then return to get checked in. SHe insisted we did it there and then before we went anywhere. It then emerged that she had no booking or record for us and insisted that we had not registered with her. We told her we had spoken to her on the phone and confirmed with her. SHe said she speaks to many people on the phone, but we were not in her system!!!
We pulled out our laptop and showed the confirmation email. She apologised and started going on about how her 'system' worked, making offers, receiving confirmations, and filing bookings, like it was out fault that we didnt register in her 'system'.

After about fifteen minutes she started to ring other places to see if there were any vacancies. we told her we were still hungry and that we would be back in an hour and said we hoped she would find somewhere for us by then and left our car there and walked into town. My husband returned within the hour while I kept the children amused. She told him that because we didnt stay she assumed we didnt want her to book anything for us. We could not deal with her anymore at this point and left. Mittenwald was very full that weekend and it took us until 6pm to find alternative accommodation.
We lost a day because of her. We are all human. We all make mistakes. The best systems in the world will occasionally let us down, but her insistence that we were the problem and that we do things her way and her lack of help just made a bad situation even worse.
Her hotel looked beautiful with the river Isar running along side the house; such potential but ruined by its owner with her hostile attitude. She does things her way, and not yours. Its about her agenda and not that of her guests. There are other places in Mittenwald just as beautiful that know how to treat their guests.
We stayed in Jagerhof in the end. Decent people. FIne guesthouse. Advice: Find somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank colouth

The Family checked in at 12 am. As I didn't find any Affirmation I started to ask if they received an E-Mail with an Affirmation for their stay. The husband told me that we talked to each other on the phone. In this phone call I told him that he should fill in the blank on our Homepage and send it to my E-Mail account. Thereafter I would send him an Affirmation back to confirm his stay. Well, as I didn't find his Affirmation in my System, we checked HIS E-Mail account for an Affirmation but there was none. In fact, he sent me a request but never got an Affirmation for his stay. Unfortunately, he didn't contact me due to the fact that he didn't received an Affirmation. I offered him to search for an other room. He told me that he wanted to go for breakfast first of all. I asked again about 3 times if I should arrange a place to stay but he denied. 3 hours later the Family came back and asked about the new residence. I think we talked past each other with the new residence thing. I even provided a 4th time to search an other place but after the breakfast he denied again.I definitely didn't sent any Affirmation to confirm his stay in our Hotel. I am really sorry about that misunderstanding. I hope you had a nice stay in Mittenwald though !

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The soothing sounds of the crystal clear river just outside the window of my large, traditionally decorated room with sparkling clean, modern bathroom contributed to a very pleasant stay at Gastehaus Edlhuber. The excellent breakfasts and good advice of the proprietor fueled days filled with hiking and sightseeing. Being located a few minutes away from the town center was a decided plus, in my opinion. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo