“Good Bavarian food”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good basic Bavarian style food. I had sausages and sauerkraut, spouse had roast pork. Atmosphere was great, we ate outside so we could enjoy the painted buildings, and there were lots of folks walking around for people-watching.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

When on holiday I preffer to be served by friendly, caring, helpful staff. The misserable waiter who we got here made us feel like we were an inconvenience and that he would have rather been somewhere else. I suggest that such restaurants take care and make sure that staff like this are somewhere else and not making people like me get up and leave before ordering the meal.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We ate here two of three nights in Mittenwald, in part because we became very friendly with an older German couple that stays here regularly. The ambiance is great, especially when the two-man accordion band is playing Bavarian music.
The food: First, as with most German restaurants, you don't need to struggle with the German menu. Ask for the English one. The food is heavy - that's what Bavarian food is. It's great fuel for hiking. My wife had these fried spinach and bread dumplings. Meh - not great. But the meat! If you like meat, get the shnitzel and/or anything done with venison. Both were fantastic. Our German friends had the steak one night, which they said was also delicious.
For dessert, there's a traditional Bavarian dessert that's a giant, flaky pancake filled with apples and cinnamon. It was amazing. And as with all Mittenwald meals, have the Mittenwalder beer. It's perfect and frothy and round and easy drinking.

1  Thank elmscrip
Reviewed June 13, 2012

we ate here every night........great food, great location and lovely staff........great place to visit and i recommend it to anyone

3  Thank mason n
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The Alpenrose restaurant serves traditional Bavarian cuisine for a classic southern German dining experience. The food is genuinely excellent. I had to hum a happy food song while eating it was so good. Everything was authentic including the live Bavarian folk music. I highly recommend the rotkohl (red cabbage). I suggest getting a reservation, especially on the weekends during the high season, or at least be prepared to share a table with other diners. This was truly a memorable food experience.