“Awesome historical stay!”
Review of Hotel zum Turken

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berchtesgaden
Hotel zum Turken
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Takes you right back to the 40's, almost like you were part of the era of jack boots and nazis. This hotel was taken over by Hitler as his Berghoff was right down the road, and it was used to house his security people. The hotel is clean, comfortable and still run my the family that owned it before Hilter took it away from them. Breakfast is great and much care goes into setting it up. Get a room with a balcony and private bathroom. You will have a lovely view. The bar is self-service, Come here for a historical experience and go back in time, you won't regret it.
Bunkers are underneath, do not miss visiting them. Take a walk on the path to Hitlers Preferred teahaus, overlooking Berchtesgaden valley (across the road around the back side of the golf course) or walk down on the same side of the hotel and visit the remains of Hitlers Berghof. Browse some of the old photos displayed in the hallway from the 30's and 40's. Truly a unique experience and I pray that it stays that way, If you want fancy and up to date, drive up the road in the intercontinental... I prefer history.

Room Tip: Balcony with private bath
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank amberflea

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nothing changes at Zum Turken and yet nothing stays the same.
Fantastik location, warm welcome, breathtaking view from the room, quite, history, cosyness.
Downtown is only 3 km away if you need shopping, walking excursions, bus trips, You want culture? Salzbug is 20 car minutes, Bad Reichenal, Munich. Go there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Gianni L
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We loved this place! My boss recommended it after staying there a few years ago. It was exactly what we expected from his description...an historical experience in a charming place from yesteryear. It is not a luxary hotel and does not offer modern conveniences such as internet and TVs in the room, but the atmosphere is unlike any other place I've ever stayed. The owner was very accomodating...think B&B. Breakfast was amazing...best coffee ever and soft boiled eggs were perfect. The owner also offered eggs to order. The rooms...in fact the entire place was "eat off the floors" clean. We stayed in a 3-person room (2 adults and 1 kid) on the first floor. The bathtub was huge...no shower though....but water pressure was strong and tub filled up really fast...very relaxing. There is a TV room / bar for the guest that is on the honor system...you write down what you take on a paper and it is added to your bill at checkout. We really enjoyed drinking a few biers with some guests from Miami. Perhaps the best feature of the hotel is the amazing views. I woke up in the morning to watch the fog roll into the valley.....amazing. If we had stayed in the town, we would have been lost in that fog. Hotel is a 5 min walk from the bus station to Eagle's Nest. Bunkers underneathe the hotel are fascinating...and totally not touristy. The rules of the house are strict, but it is afterall more of a museum than a hotel. This place is a real gem...not many like it anymore. Worth the price in my opinion. I hope to come back again to this place....a very unique experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Amy S
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have been here for some nights the last 3 years and it always nice to be back.

The hotel is in old style,,but nice and friendly.

Relaxing too!

Very friendly staff.

Ivar Sørgård. Tromsø.Norway / Munich /bayern

Room Tip: if you like nice old hotell with nice wiev and speciel history ,,this hotel is good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ivar s
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Unfortunately I didn't know about the Hotel zum Türken before coming to the area, but I will definitely return to stay overnight. Although the Türken is a lot less comfortable than the next-door Interconti, it is preferable as the "real" experience of this historic place. Interesting discussions with the new "old lady" at the reception to the bunker (although the quasi-famous owner lady passed away this year 2013) and with other guests. Hotel doors are closed - for guests only. Great views.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TrophyCollector
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel is old, but it is extremely clean and decently maintained. The breakfast buffet was nice. We knew the age of the hotel when we booked it and booked because of the history associated with it. We would go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OBX-Girl60
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel for the history. It was very interesting to know that the SS guards stayed here and that Hitler himself lived next door. You do not have to be a neo Nazi to appreciate the history. We are proud Americans and my father fought in WWII. But history is history. And we believe the place is haunted. We had two separate experiences and we did not know about the other persons until we left the hotel. My son and I had a shivering presence- items moving experience in one of the rooms. My adult daughter had a frightening chilling feeling when she was in one of the jail cells below the building in the tunnels. She was at first afraid to tell us about it. I will not get into further details because you may think I'm crazy. But we do not even believe in ghosts. Or we didn't;'t until we visited this hotel. But it is not a negative at all. it ads to the history and to the perhaps violent happenings in this hotel. We loved it - once we left.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the valley. Ours also had a private restroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family