“Seen better days”
Review of Watzmann

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berchtesgaden
Watzmann
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Reviewed April 19, 2010

The hotel has clearly seen better days. It appears dingy and dark and the carpets and furnishings seem to have been around for a long time. We were given a room at the front of the hotel and the bed was terribly soft. I woke up with a dreadfully sore back after about 2 hours sleep and eventually put the mattress on the floor and slept there! When I complained in the morning we were given another room which was much better. The breakfast was the most basic of the 3 hotels we stayed in during our trip - 2 cereals, yogurt, cold meat, cheese, rolls and bread, but no boiled eggs. I heard one German guest ask about boiled eggs and she was told they didn't do them. We dined in the hotel the first evening and the food was fine and reasonably priced. The church bell didn't prove too much of a disturbance. Overall the Watzmann was a disappointment and I would not stay there again if I returned to Berchtesgaden.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barrie96

Reviewed March 28, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, but we had quite a few problems with the woman in charge. We stayed only a few days, I think 3... but every morning when we went downstairs for breakfast, she would ask everyone when they were leaving. She could easily find that out by looking the files, right? It seemed like she just wanted everyone out. And another time, she barged in my dad's room without knocking, huffed at him, and then shut the door. No apology, no explanation on why she just walked in, nothing. A little strange.

The only things I liked about the hotel was, the rooms are pretty. And the location is right by the downtown shopping area, which is a nice convenience. I've been to Berchtesgaden a few times, and this was our first time staying here. We are going to stay at Wittlesbach next.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Britt83
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed here for a one week ski vacation package booked from Aldi with 7 nights, Halbpension -plus (breakfast, lunch packet and dinner and two drinks), 6 day ski pass for a great price! The hotel is very old, with old tacky furniture, rugs and decorations. The floors are bumpy and squeak. Our room was very small with bunkbeds for the kids and a king size bed for the parents all in the same room with a small tv, table, charis and sofa. Which I was not happy about because it was sooo crowded for 4 people. The breakfast was okay, VERY basic - rolls, salami, cheese, yogurt, cereals. The lunch packet was just a roll with a slice of meat, a drink box and a choco bar. The dinner was not good at all and they should fire the cook ASAP! The meals were bland, tasteless and just gross. You could eat it so you wouldn't starve but it was not enjoyable. We slept okay after we had to fix the mattress rail that broke on the first night. The church bell didn't bother us as we had a room in the back of the hotel. Overall is was okay for the super price we paid but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dghauser
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We booked this hotel weeks in advance. The location is great, located in the middle of the town and easy access to the local bus stop. The rooms were bit small but normal for European standards. It was quite noisy as church bells located across the street ding every 30 mins or so during the night. There was no free internet access as advertised on the website. The breakfast in the morning was very good. This hotel was very busy through out the day because of location. Overall this hotel was ok but there are probably better located within the town.

• Stayed: September 2009
2  Thank raidergoat
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We did not enjoy our stay here. We asked for a quiet room, but got a room at the front of the hotel. Not only is there a busy road outside, but a church dings every 15 minutes through the night like an alarm clock. Sunday morning it wakens the dead and the living at 7am for mass. The furnishings were rather tatty and I did not feel our shower room was very clean, with grime at the edge of the floor. Our bed was soft and creaked every time we turned or moved.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hazel R
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Arriving in Berchtesgaden on an early evening in late August, I rocked up at the Hotel Watzmann without a reservation, to a very friendly welcome. I was shown where to park my hire car nearby and led to a very comfy en suite single room on the first floor. The room was clean and comfortable and, although the nearby church bell gave me an unexpected early wake-up call the following (Sunday) morning, I have to say I did not mind a bit. Breakfast was substantial and the service was again friendly and attentive. I shared the breakfast room right at the start of breakfast with the local priest! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel - good value, welcoming and in a great location close to the centre of town.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We spent 4 nights at the Watzmann, a great place to base yourself to see Salzburg, Eagles nest, Salt Mines and many other local attractions. Berchtesgaden itself is a charming place and many hours were spent just wandering the meandering streets watching the goings on of the locals and tourist alike. The Hotel Watzmann is not a high class affair but at 80 Euro a night for 2 persons with a good breakfast its good value in a great location.
Navigation note: If you are using a Tom Tom, Franziskanerplatz is not listed as a road or location (well not in my maps anyway), we had some fun finding this place and even with a map from the tourist bureau! Once you settle in it all becomes clear.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Petemageet