“Interesting, beautiful views, totally enjoyable experience”

Eagle’s Nest Historical Tours
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Berchtesgaden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1990 our thoughtful and history-focused tours of the Eagle's Nest, the underground bunkers and nearby sites associated with Hitler's former HQs in the Alps have won international acclaim. They begin and end at Berchtesgaden's Tourist Office.
Folsom, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Interesting, beautiful views, totally enjoyable experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have taken this tour half a dozen times over the past 35 years and will take it again. It's that interesting. It isn't a cheap outing by any means but worth it. I have taken my 4 grandchildren, niece and grandniece at different times as part of our trips to Germany from where I emigrated 50 years ago. What a way to teach them as part of WW2 history. English speaking guides, comfortable buses and outstanding views in this beautiful region. We toured the salt mines, and the highlight is the visit to Hitlers tea house. History just seems to grab you there. The view on a summer day is unimaginable, such beauty! I highly recommend this tour but wouldn't take children under 10. There is some walking involved but at 75 I still manage. Plan to spend the better part of a day, 4 hours plus.

Visited May 2013

• Slovak first
Adelaide, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A surreal place with an awesome view.”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We did the Eagles Nest Tour with Panorama Tours in Salzburg. They are a very professional organisation and all their staff were very friendly and helpful. We ended up doing 3 of their short tours. The Eagles Nest itself is very much worth the effort. The views are simply stunning. We had a nice amount of time up there to wander around and admire the scenery, as well as take in the historical aspect of the building itself. As usual with an organised day trip, we were on a tight schedule so at times felt a bit rushed as they co-ordinate other tour groups along the way as well so everything runs pretty tightly. That being said, still highly recommended, and Panorama Tours seem to be the best in the business based in Salzburg.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Thorpe101
Wilmington, Delaware
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Took the tour which took us to the muesuem and to the moutaintop tea house. As a relative of individuals who lived through World War II, it was an amazing experience to learn more of the history of this area and experience the bunkers built by the Nazi regime. It was hard to believe all that went on in such a beautiful area of the world. Aside from the history, the views were spectacular, especially when the tour ended at the Eagle's Nest. The history is incredible and I wish I had more time thatn the one day alotted for the tour. An entire day could be spent in the museum and bunkers alone and I felt rushed in order to complete the tour. The tour was well worth it as it give a really good general overview of things. Next time I would go and spend more time myself to look at and review things at the museum. Be careful if you do not like heights. The bus ride up the mountain was a little scary. I have no fear of heights and found it hard to look out the window at times with a drop so far down.

This is an experience that should not be missed. Educational and emotional, but beautiful at the same time.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank SGDelaware
Naples, Italy
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great family outing”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We took two 14 year old boys and a 9 year old girl and they enjoyed it and (maybe) learned something. For a 4-hour educational tour it was interesting and did not feel overly long. The view from the top is amazing. Our tour was in English, our guide was knowledgeable, easy to hear and understand. We tipped her at the end of the tour. Be prompt or you'll miss the bus.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank lchristep
Detroit, Michigan
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Hitler's former house is now a bar!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

You arrive and either have to walk up and take a bus to the golden elevator. I could imagine Adolph Hitler and his murdering cronies in their Rolls Royce driving into the tunnel to reach the elevator. Entering the elevator, I was so excited to see the Eagle's Nest. When we arrived the view took over and the house seemed a bit inconsequential. Make sure to walk around and spend an hour outside. You can see Lake Konigssee and much of Bavaria.

Visited August 2012