“Lost my list...”

Cuisines: Austrian, German, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2013

...I had a list of restaurant's to try and forgot it in my hotel. Luckily I did remember the name Luitpold, and am glad I did! Simply outstanding!! My wife wanted something different and opted for Thai current shrimp, she loved it. I chose pork cooked with spatzle and mushrooms with cheese...my waistline hated every bite, but I didn't. We watched plates going out to adjoining tables and they looked equally wonderful. Staff was gracious and efficient, tolerating my pathetic German. They also have an English menu...you can't go wrong here!

1  Thank Xhand
There are newer reviews for Cafe Am Luitpoldpark

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is the best place in Berchtesgaden, and possibly the world, to try top quality, delicious Bavarian food at a good price.
Following Trip Advisor advice, we headed to Cafe am Luitpoldpark on the third night of our stay in Berchtesgaden. It was easy to find, at the top of the path into town from the station and in a nice location near the park. We were a little nervous going in, it looked busy, but we were given such a warm welcome by Birgit, that we felt at ease at once, and were even given a choice of tables. Both Birgit and Linda (our very friendly waitress) spoke very good English and were tolerant of our attempts at German! Service was fast, efficient and cheerful and the atmosphere in the place very laid back and jovial. We decided to go back on our last night in the town too, it was so lovely there.
The menu was provided in English, which was helpful despite our basic German. And the food was delicious. I'm a veggie and was surprised to find more than one option. On the first night I had spinach dumplings with butter and rocket and on the next visit I had kasnocken, the local speciality. Both were yummy and the free salad buffet was a real bonus. My boyfriend had Wiener schnitzel one night and venison goulasch the next and loved both meals. They were so well presented it felt like we were in a much more expensive place, but the prices were reasonable too. The apple strudel was also fabulous, though we barely had room for it!
It was so good here, we found it hard to leave and stayed on drinking local beer and excellent coffee for several hours after we finished the food. It is one of our favourite memories of Berchtesgaden and we'll definitely be back next time we visit.
A huge thank you to Birgit and Linda for such friendly service!

2  Thank Rebecca B
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I dined at Cafe am Luitpoldpark twice during my recent visit to Berchtesgaden, and loved both times! The first dinner was the Waidmann's Heil (goulash with spaëtzle), and the second was the pork schnitzel with fries. Both meals were delicious, and the portions were large. I will be back!

2  Thank foxxydrummer
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We would strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Berchtesgaden. Not only does it serve the traditional Bavarian dishes it serves them with a twist and I can only describe it as a taste explosion in your mouth. Vegetarian options are available, my wife tried a couple of these during our stay and they were both delicious and actually gave some tasty options for a vegetarian, which is often lacking in many of the traditional restaurants. The staff were so helpful and friendly and made eating there a very enjoyable experience. The atmosphere in the restaurant and the quality of the food that is served up exceeds many of the meals that we have eaten in London. When we return to this area, this restaurant will be first on our list.

2  Thank butchyLondon
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Loved this place. We would go out of our way to go back here. The presentation with lots of extra fresh fruit accents was great. Traingle plates even. Loved the salad bar! Everyone was friendly and professional and efficient...even wearing durndels!
Only negative for me was the abundance of plastic flowers and trellis work. Food was scrumptious-try it!!

1  Thank flosser