“Great location & price for the area that's about it”

Alpenhotel Bergzauber
Ranked #4 of 52 Berchtesgaden B&B and Inns
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Great location & price for the area that's about it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We arrived at dinner time and my wife went in to the reception area which is beside the kitchen/dinner area. My wife asked the only lady she saw about our reservation (who we later figured out was the server) and she started spouting off with a bad attitude in German and got the owner to check us in. The server was nice then for the rest of our 5 nights stay that we booked online. There wasn't much for parking available at check in and the owner started pointing at spaces and said 'park anywhere", they were full and I'm guessing due to the price for a room in that area. Well I took the spot in front of the place which was a single parking spot because it was open and I didn't want any door dings etc. on my rental Mercedes. Well when pulling in the next couple of days I was glad to see that spot was open again. Just so happened that the sign beside this spot which I thought was a novelty, was the owners parking space and he asked me when it wasn't crowded anymore not to park there and said you see my sign there. Then the next day we figured out it matched the license plate of his car. "I didn't know and didn't put any thought into it since the lady said park anywhere" After that he wouldn't really make eye contact with me and even when we rolled are bags past him in the parking area when checking out he never even looked at us. The room was 'OK" but smelled musty at times and the hallway always smelled musty. The bathroom was small like other cheap European places I've stayed at but it had mold on the ceiling in a couple of places and a little on the grout in the shower. The view was nice from the balcony, if you didn't mind looking over the parking lot, neighbors homes, and a couple of rusty roofs. The breakfast was the "basic" German buffet. When asking questions about attractions etc., we were always pointed to the brochures they had there. After 5 nights, we were glad to be on our way. The location is excellent and the price was cheap (70 euro) but if we wanted to stay in this area again we would spend a little more and stay where we stayed before (Hotel Dora in Bad Reichenhall) or some other place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 2_travelers_from_Pa

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)