“A Mecca for Wagnerites but uncomfortable”
Review of Festspielhaus

Festspielhaus
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Bayreuth
Reviewed September 4, 2012

It is what it is - a holy of hollies. It's no good complaining about the hard seats, the lack of ventilation, the laughable stage lighting, the hopeless seating direction signs or the dull decor. Nothing will be done to alter the Masters shrine. Just go because you have to. 13 years waiting before you get a ticket, though I hear that bookings are now going on-line.

2  Thank watsondt
There are newer reviews for Festspielhaus

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Once again we were lucky to get tickets for the Wagner festival i Bayreuth. We stayed at Frau Müllers and saw The Flying Dutchman. A rather good experience, good singers and the conductor Thielemann is the best these years. Next year The Ring. We hope.

2  Thank Svend Erik H
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It takes not only lifetimes but generations to have a first row center stalls seat in this house at July, 28 2012. Lucky me, of all the Wagner operas it was Tannhauser , a figure choosing between sensual and spiritual love. Well, what can I say? The orchestra was perfect, the chorus even better and even to the minutest details the mimics were performed up to the limit of all of the hundreds of people on stage. And unlike what I read about 2011 production, the 2012 premier got a thundering applause. The production is not polite to anyone regardless of opinion. I still have to visit the MET to say my final word but now we are discussing stars beyond five.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I am so sorry to say this but this is one of the main attractions in Bayreuth and it was closed in peak Summer!! So many disappointed people outside willing to pay to go inside. For a city that is connected with Richard Wagner this is ridiculous and certainly Bayreuth was my biggest disappointment of our whole journey.

1  Thank tarzangav
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We made a reservation for a tour. A few days before we left on our trip, the tour was canceled due to a week's closure. We were told that we would be given a tour of the grounds. When we showed up for our outside tour, no one arrived to give us the tour. We walked around by ourselves and read information off the internet. It was not what we expected.