“Is the management losing their touch?”

Hotel Goldener Anker
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Bayreuth
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was our third stay at this hotel during the Wagner festival over the course of about 7 years. The hotel is a wonderful building in a wonderful location and with a quirky style all of its own. It is extremely expensive during the festival. We loved the hotel the first two times we stayed but were disappointed this time - extra charges are creeping in and service is slipping. There was no wifi, or at least none that worked. This really is unacceptable nowadays. The hotel just shrugged their shoulders and said they always had a problem with Apple kit but couldn't suggest where we might go to get wifi. The helpful tourist office pointed us to the excellent town library, just 5 mins walk from the hotel, which has free and fast Wifi. The food is excellent but the service very slow and erratic, despite a large number of staff. Fruit is provided in the room but not at breakfast, except for an additional charge. In previous years, I seem to remember freshly squeezed orange juice but now it's straight from a carton. Fine in a budget hotel but not in one of the best in town. Bottled water is provided in the room, but at €5.50 for a small bottle. We had to provide a €10 deposit to get a key for the safe in our room. And the rooms are noisy at night, both from within the hotel and outside. I suspect we will try a different hotel next time we visit Bayreuth.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LMSP
There are newer reviews for Hotel Goldener Anker

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our third stay during the Wagner Festival and the charm of this hotel is a constant joy. Perfect location in the centre of the town. The rooms are large and very comfortable and the restaurant is excellent offerign both a Bistro menu and full gourmet dining. The staff are all delightful and speak very good English. Prices are high during the Festival which I suppose is inevitable but outside this time the rates are reasonable for the quality of the Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
35  Thank JC5586
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a charming 18th century house converted into a small hotel. It is ideal for people visiting the Bayreuth Wagner Festival, being in the Old Town, and just a mile or so from the Opera House. It is comfortable, the food is good, and the staff are delighful. Just one word of caution: it is very expensive during the Wagner Festival! (c£150 per night for a single room, bed and breakfast.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
30  Thank Polonius45
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed in that hotel for just a short while. The room we got was small, however the bed comfortable. The insulation to the other rooms was so poor, that you could hear every noise, apparently to the structure of this historic building being really old. The person in the room above us was constantly trampling, and the beams supporting the ceiling squeaked continuously. We finally left the room after a few hours as there was no way we could sleep. The reaction of the staff was unfriendly and cold, we were just offered an alternative room, however it was clear that there was a structural issue with the hotel. Just based on the reaction, especially the owner or general manager and her disinterest in the satisfaction of her guests are reasons to never again consider the hotel nor to recommend it to anybody else.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Timbaleiro
Eva-Graf-Handel, Inhaber at Hotel Goldener Anker, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

We as a family run, historic hotel and as a traditional home provide hotel and restaurant services for hundreds of guests every year.
Especially during the festival period in Bayreuth the hotel is completely booked up.
Most of our guests have been visiting us for many years, appreciating not only the sophisticated interior design of our classy traditional home, but also the services provided by our suitably trained staff as well as the quality of our offers. Generally, we try to settle immediately any complaint of the guests in their interest, regardless of whether or not a grievance is really justified.
In this special case we were offering a different room immediately after the guest´s complaint, but it was not accepted though he would have profited by a very generous upgrading of the other, new room. The "stay" of this guest by the way was during 2 until 3.30 p.m.

As this criticism is so abstruse, there is no use in going into the details of his comment. The “guest” wanted to cancel his booking, dating back to March 2012, a few days before the arrival without paying any cancellation fee. We refused to accept this given the general conditions which the guests are deemed to have agreed to, not only at our hotel but in the entire accommodation sector. As a consequence of this refusal, this “guest”, for example, uttered nasty vulgarities at the hotel owners driving past them in his car, even when they were talking with other guests. Thus the comments of this “guest” can only be referred to and interpreted as a kind of belated vengeance. This is the real reason for this posting.

Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel before and was disappointed, however wanted to give it another chance. However my plans changed and I needed to return the same day I arrived. The hotel didn’t accept a cancellation 72h prior to arrival and insisted on the policy stipulated in the booking confirmation. So I decided to at least check into the hotel, take a nap prior to the performance at the Bayreuth festival, and change as I had to pay for the room anyways. Upon arrival I was handed the key without words (no “how was your trip?” or “welcome back”). The room was small with a low ceiling, ridiculous for the about EUR 400 they charged. The 0,75l mineral water in the room was EUR 5,50, instead of including at leastwater in such a steep rate. We went straight to bed as we only had 35 minutes for the nap. However it was impossible to sleep, as the walls and ceilings are paper-thin so that you can hear every word or move in adjacent rooms. The person in the room above us for some bizarre reason was walking constantly around the room like a hamster in a cage. Not only could you hear the trampling from that person, the timbers supporting the ceiling creaked even worse. Wecalled the front desk after 20 minutes, and they stated there was nothing they could do. Without sleep we finally checked out and paid. Upon asking for a price concession due to the room being inadequate to sleep they had me wait for quite a while. Some staff took the reservation list to the owner of the hotel, who was sitting in front if the hotel slurping some coffee. Instead of coming to see a really upset hotel guest, she had her staff deliver the message there was nothing she could do other than offer a different room. After I got in my car right in front of the hotel, I pulled down my window and started a conversation “excuse me, you are the owner of the hotel, right?”. Visibly annoyed about somebody addressing her she ignored my question by replying “So who the heck are you?” – after I apparently got in my car with luggage right in front of her hotel. ANY HOTEL IN BAYREUTH GOT TO BE BETTER THAN THIS!

• Stayed: August 2012
7  Thank GermanWorldTraveler

We have taken note of the comment, posted on August 3, 2012.

The statements of this “guest” concerning his stay at our hotel are simply untrue!

We provide accommodation and catering services for hundreds of guests every year and especially during the festival period in Bayreuth the hotel is completely booked up. Most of our guests have been visiting us for many years, appreciating not only the sophisticated interior design of our house, but also the services provided by our suitably trained staff as well as the quality of our offers. Generally, we try to settle immediately any complaint of the guests in their interest, regardless of whether or not a grievance is really justified.

This criticism is so abstruse that there is no use in going into the details of this comment. The real reason for this review can be guessed reading its introduction. The “guest” wanted to cancel his booking, dating back to March 2012, a few days before the arrival without paying any cancellation fee. We refused to accept this given the general conditions which the guests are deemed to have agreed to, not only at our hotel but in the entire accommodation sector. As a consequence of this refusal, this “guest”, for example, uttered nasty vulgarities at the hotel owners driving past them in his car, even when they were talking with other guests. Thus the comments of this “guest” can only be referred to and interpreted as a kind of belated vengeance.

With his false attacks on this platform against our hotel this guest merely demeans himself.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I came to Bayreuth to attend a few performances at the Festpielhaus, and was fortunate enough to book a room at the Hotel Goldener Anker. There is no doubt in my mind that it must surely be the finest hotel in town. The location could not be bettered, settled on a lovely street next to the Margravial Opera House and thriving Maximilianstrasse, filled with restaurants and shops. If one is not there for the festival, one finds oneself just a few minutes away from the train station and right in the centre of town. For the Wagner lover, it is equally perfect, just down the street from villa Wahnfried and the lovely parks that lie beyond, and just a twenty/twenty-five minute walk from the green hill. The hotel itself has a rich history of illustrious guests, and is a haven of old-world charm. Every room has character, and is impeccably decorated and maintained. The period furnishings are beautiful, and the distinctive taste of the different rooms made me want to return to try some of the others. The food is wonderful, and breakfast--served to the table, a touch I much prefer to the self-service variety-- abundant and of high quality. The rooms were wonderfully quiet, the ambience intimate and friendly. Perhaps best of all is the staff. Constantly amiable and helpful, they made my stay a pleasure. As a side note, though my German is not immaculate, they happily obliged me by speaking English.
Ultimately, though I came for the festival, the Hotel Goldener Anker is now insuperably intertwined with my memory of Bayreuth. When I am next in town, there is nowhere else I would consider staying.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
36  Thank JohnGalt330
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I was in Bayreuth just prior to Wanger festival.
I found the rooms very clean , tastefully decorated and very comfortable.
Breakfast was very nice - simple but attentive staff, yes there is a small charge E3 for an additional eggs and bacon but with rooms less than 100 E this is a small problem

Yes English TV was none existent or WiFi. but the charm comfort and staff was worth the trip

Bram